Mid-to-Final Roof Job…

roofing0001

O.M.G.

This was the view out a window earlier today. They’ve been up on my roof now for 2-1/2 hours, making noises I never thought were possible. The dogs and I are holed up inside. There are tarps over the windows/doors. It’s like a cave with every manner of pounding going on just inches above our heads, on the roof. My office is just underneath the roof as we don’t have an attic, and the noise is incredible. I keep thinking they are going to come right thru and fall into the house.

Like I said:

O.M.G.

I hope this is the last roof job I EVER have to go through. There must be 15 to 20 men up there, all pounding at the same time!

The dogs have finally settled down and keep looking over at me as if to say “Mommy? What the heck is going on in our world?”

All I can do is stay near them, pat them and love them, and try to make it feel as normal as possible.

Paul just called from his cellphone from the boat. He is out lobstering. Isn’t it just like a man to be away from home the day a swarm of roofers invades our house! He left at 5:30 this morning to go to Gloucester for bait and he won’t be back til suppertime. In the meantime, his house went thru hell and back and he comes home to a nice, neat (hopefully) roofing job.

Just as a bit of a plug, it’s the Wm. Trahant Roofing Company that is doing the job. They are quite professional and organized, and although they did have to make a huge mess at first, I hear they do a great clean-up job at the end!

Just for the record, they came at 7:30. Put up staging, covered house and windows, and were on the roof clomping around, tearing off shingles, by 7:45. By 11:15 they were all cleaned up, new roof on, and out of here! Incredible.

And at the end, looking out the same bedroom window as yesterday:

Before:

roofs0006

After:

roof-done0002

10 Responses to Mid-to-Final Roof Job…

1. Crochetlady says:

Bex, I grew up in Lawrence and family still lives in Methuen. The fun trips in summer were trips to Glouster or Rockport-unfortunately never got to really visit ALL the shops I wanted.

2. sandy from Chicago says:

Wow that is a nice looking roof! That should help with keeping the house toasty during the winter.

Stay dry over there, Bex. Our weather bomb storm is headed your way for tomorrow.

Good timing, Bex. Big storm for you tomorrow. Hope you can keep DH home and safe. It’s just starting over here and I wouldn’t want to be out in a boat with this wind.

BTW, you’re in one of my favorite areas, Gloucester (and Rockport). I spent my teen years in Lawrence, not too far away.

6. sjwdfreel@msn.com says:

WOW…NICE :-))

OK, next project you go for a nice, long drive? Your turn to be out and away. Glad to hear they did such a great job and that you and friends-in-fur survived it all.

8. Carol says:

The roof looks nice, hope it is done and you return to peace.

9. Hang in there, Bex! Just for today, I can deal with something that would appall me if I had to look forward to a long period of it. I’ve got a placard somewhere with that saying (or something similar). 🙂

10. WendyNC says:

Being inside under ongoing roofing is it’s own special kind of perdition. Hang in there!