Speaking of Stone Walls…

Gardener trimming the maze hedge at Castle Bolton

I took the picture above at Castle Bolton in the Yorkshire Dales (when we were there last time in 2002, with Sandy From Iowa with us) and it shows the gardener for the semi-ruined ancient castle tending his beautiful gardens there. It also shows some of the lovely stone walls that define the landscape in this beautiful part of the world.

Here’s the same view but not using the zoom lens:

Maze garden at Castle Bolton

Here is an overview of this place. Mary Queen of Scots was imprisoned here for a while before she was executed. I can’t remember the details but it’s a place we always visit when we go to England. There is a great gift shop in the middle part of the castle and I’ve gotten some really wonderful food items such as jam/preserves/pickle etc from there.

BoltonCastle

If you are a James Herriot fan and have seen the All Creatures Great and Small television series, you might remember the episode when James proposed to Helen on his day off. They went scouting around Bolton Castle in the series AND in real life, as well, and climbed up into the turrets, like I did for the pictures above, and whilst looking out over the most beautiful landscape of the Yorkshire Dales, he popped the question, and of course she said “yes.” And it all started right here. That television series was probably the most influential story of our lives, Paul’s and mine.

Just wanted to offer you up some of the things I love the most, and those always have something to do with beautiful Yorkshire.

15 Responses to Speaking of Stone Walls…

1. sandy from iowa says:

You have cost me $160 bucks at Amazon…I got the set of dvd’s.
    A getwell gift to me πŸ™‚

2. Crochetlady says:

Hmm, I wonder if a blue ray player would play the dvd region 2 dvds? We have to replace our dvd player and blue ray is the way of the future. They play the US dvds.

3. Neva Williams says:

Yah … I liked Inspector Morse too, very much. One reason that I love PBS is that from Friday – Sunday, we get lots of the British series shown here in Tucson. Never quite enough though. I think I will look into ordering some of these things that I so like.

Hey, Bex, I just found a food blog that you might find interesting.

Okay, I’m jealous of your PAL player. There’s at least one movie that I’d love to have that’s only available on the European format, Electric Dreams.

P.S. I have to say that we also have a PAL (Region 2) DVD player which plays DVDs from Europe. I couldn’t live without that little item!

For a mere $160, you too can own the entire DVD series of ALL CREATURES GREAT AND SMALL

Yes, I know it’s a small fortune to most of us these days. My priorities are skewed somewhat when it comes to pass-times. Give me a good British DVD any day over stuff-n-nonsense like clothes, fancy food, trinkets. I bought this series partially in VCR mode and partially in DVD mode over the years so didn’t spluge on it all at once, however, we have splurged on things like the complete series of INSPECTOR MORSE as well as PRIME SUSPECT, (not to mention a few thousand others!) and have enjoyed every minute of them, over and over. In fact lately I’ve had the urge to re-watch the Morse series again. I’ve only seen it maybe 4 or 5 times so I think I need another viewing soon as it’s been a while.

8. Crochetlady says:

I have read all the books, never knew it was a tv series! Missed that one! Probably was too busy keeping the kids and dh happy with their shows!

9. Neva Williams says:

I really envy you having gone there, and I did love that series. It is never shown on our PBS station anymore, and I miss it. I may have to invest in the DVD’s.

I Love All Creatures Great and Small–the hymn (which we sang yesterday), the books and the video productions. Thanks for the great pictures of Bolton Castle and surrounds.

You are very welcome, Sandy. Our trip wouldn’t have been quite so much fun without you with us. It gave us so many good memories!

Thanks Sil, yes the Yorkshire Dales (and Moors) are heaven, pure and simple.

TT – If you buy the complete DVD series of All Creatures and watch it from the beginning, you will fall in love with these people – even though they are actors, they became “James,” “Siegfried,” “Tristan,” “Helen,” “Mrs. Hall,” “Callum,” “Deirdre,” and all the rest of the endless cast of characters perfectly portrayed by the most incredible British actors. I have the whole set and have watched it in its entirety probably 6 or 7 times or more. I never get tired of it and it’s what takes me out of the current problem-filled world and transports me back there. Heaven.

13. sandy freel says:

I so remember that view from the window.
    I remember the whole trip very well:-)..thanks for taking me.

14. It’s a really lovely place. My daughter loves the Dales, too. She goes hiking on the moors every couple years or so.
    I copied and sent her your link. πŸ˜‰
    Hugs from Asia!

Thanks for the beautiful pics!

Oddly, I’ve only had the slightest passing fancy for the “Creatures” TV series. It just never made it quite to the level of the books for me. The man was an incredibly gifted writer.