Tornado in New England!

Our state just went thru a tornado, or two, or three. Massachusetts, in New England, USA. Where the worst thing that ever happens to us are either hurricanes or 3-feet of snow.

But not tornadoes!

Oh, well, there was a big one in Worcester back a long time ago, and they are comparing today to that, but the loss of life is far less (only one confirmed death from today’s tornado – so far, but many injured in various ways.)

(Addendum: Apparently there were a total of four deaths during the tornadoes, but they say one was a heart attack not necessarily directly related to injury from the tornado).

It was the closest I’ve ever come to one of those things. And I didn’t much like it.

First, Paul was not home when it all began, and I was home here with the dogs, in the hot and humid weather trying to tough out the day without putting on the A/C units – just to save on money. Finally I relented and cooled the place down. Just in time to hear all kinds of buzzers and alerts going off on the TV warning about the tornado and thunder & lightning storms moving across the state.

They were out in the middle/western part of the state from about 3 o’clock p.m. til now, and I’m ready for bed! They did their damage and then came back. Springfield had at least two of them roll thru, causing all kinds of havoc that we’ll only know about in the light of day tomorrow.

I had to prepare for hiding in the basement, under the stairs, all alone, running around the house gathering up things I could NOT live without if our house were swooped up into that vortex of wind and all that was left was me and the dogs cowering under the stairs in the basement.

At least we HAVE a basement. Well, I think the tornado threat is over, but there are still some big red storms on the weather map coming our way so it should make for a very restless and anxious night. Paul will probably sleep thru it, but not me!

I’ll be awake from now til morning, you just wait and see!

Cheers to you, but jeers to old Mother Nature and her ire!

Bex,

8 Responses to Tornado in New England!

1. JJ says:

Last year we had some kind of horrible wind work its’ way through our neighborhood. When I came home, it was absolutley terrifying to see all the damage that was done. Mother Nature can have a real mean streak.

How are you doing, Bex?

3. Crochetlady says:

Glad you are ok. Sis is living in Methuen, glad to know it didn’t get that far east. You are not suppose to get them! But it does happen. (just don’t get earthquakes ok?)

4. Neva Williams says:

I was living in Worcester, Mass when that tornado happened there. We all were thoroughly impressed by that one.

I’m glad that you and yours are okay, Bex.

5. Doug says:

You get used to it here in the Midwest, but I keep forgetting how scared I was of them when I was a kid, watching them across the wheat fields standing in the door of the root cellar… making a choice between the spiders or the wind. I always took my chances with the wind, but I was ready to jump in with the spiders, heh.

Scary! If it helps any, DH and I are weather watchers and it looks like you’re just going to get the very edge of the front going through, so it hopefully shouldn’t be too bad for you and should be over just about now.

7. sandy from Iowa says:

WOW…so sorry to read of this..I feel your fear.
    We have them all the time here in Iowa and they have me down in basement also with some treasure to save.
    I girl married a guy that lost his home when young to one…flat to ground it was.
    Stay safe ..prayers for you and all.

Wow. Hard to believe. I can remember when hurricanes were rare. Now tornadoes. What next? I dare not ask.