The Last Day, and now the First…

RETIREMENT is the point where a person stops employment completely.

A person may also semi-retire by reducing work hours.

Many people choose to retire when they are eligible for private or public pension benefits, although some are forced to retire when physical conditions don’t allow the person to work any more (by illness or accident) or as a result of legislation concerning their position.

In most countries, the idea of retirement is of recent origin, being introduced during the 19th and 20th centuries. Previously, low life expectancy and the absence of pension arrangements meant that most workers continued to work until death. Germany was the first country to introduce retirement in the 1880s.

Nowadays most developed countries have systems to provide pensions on retirement in old age, which may be sponsored by employers and/or the state. In many poorer countries, support for the old is still mainly provided through the family. Today, retirement with a pension is considered a right of the worker in many societies, and hard ideological, social, cultural and political battles have been fought over whether this is a right. In many western countries this right is mentioned in national constitutions.

I AM RETIRED!

(My last day of work was yesterday)

Officially.

Thankfully.

Gratefully.

Excitedly.

Hopefully.

Peacefully.

~ ~ ~ ~

Once I’ve been retired for a few days, or a week, I may think of some things to write here, but I want to savour the moments right now of not having to type on a regular basis, and that includes here.

I’ll be back soon.

Rested.

Bex-The-Retired

14 Responses to The Last Day, and now the First…

Oh congratulations. I hope you have many fun adventures.

May your retirement be blessed with good friends, good health, and wonderful adventures!

3. Crochetlady says:

Congradulations! and enjoy sleeping in. We will talk to you when you feel like typing again!!

4. sandy from iowa says:

I am very proud to call you my friend…you have done a wonderful job over the years.
    You know what it is to work hard and to do a good job at it.
    Now days folks dont always work hard at a job to make it well done.
    ENJOY TIME OFF NOW…you have earned it šŸ™‚

Now how did I get off by a week? Well, hmpf!

Congratulations on your retirement, Bex! Sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labors.

6. WendyNC says:

Relax, enjoy, and we’ll look forward to hearing from you when you’re ready. Wishing you all the best as you begin this next phase.

7. sue says:

What’s the word for Retired Housewife?

(widow)

8. Carol says:

Congratulations!

9. Betty Lou says:

Congrats ! Have a good rest, read some good books, and don’t work too hard cleaning your house, etc….. just enjoy your time.

Thanks John and Neva, too. John, how’s everything across the pond with you guys? Hope going smoothly.

11. Neva Williams says:

Congratulations, Bex! I wish you good health, and much happiness.

12. John Bailey says:

Here’s wishing you a long, happy and productive retirement, Bex. I can, on personal experience, recommend the condition!

Thanks, Frances. What I’d really like to do is visit you someday but travel is an elusive thing for me. I’ll just have to close my eyes and dream of living on Lewis, in the most beautiful part of the world – your world! I’ll enjoy it through your blog and photos, though! Thanks for those!

14. congratulations Bex may you enjoy a long and happy retirement, Frances