Waking to a Fall Wonderland….

FirstSnow29Oct110003

Took these out the windows this morning when I got up which, now that I’m retired, is a little later than usual!

Yes, that is snow. It came as a total surprise when we let the dogs out last night, right before bed, and it was snowing huge fluffy snowflakes. It sounded like it was also raining, so I guess it was doing both. It got quite cold overnight and so some of the snow has stayed on the rooftops and in some of the gardens.

So this year, 2011, the snow officially came here to Crow cottge on the 27th of October. Just for the record.

It’s going to be a long season, I can see that. It’s still technically fall. You can even see the fall leaves on the trees in the photos. Mother Nature is messed up again. The trees should be bare when the snow falls. Not filled with heavy leaves. Oh well…

Cheers to the changing seasons!

FirstSnow29Oct110001

7 Responses to Waking to a Fall Wonderland….

I finally cleaned out my e-mail box and I am finding all these lovely posts from you Bex. I enjoy the color of fall leaves, I sure do not miss them. I hope you stay warm and cozy in your cottage.

Yeah, I’m not loving the excluding food and fuel for calculations, either. Over here, DH’s employer looks at the cost of living as one of the indicators for raises – so of course that keeps raises artificially low when the two commodities that have jumped the most are food and fuel. And DH hasn’t had a raise in more than 3 years, though we have hopes for this quarter.

We’re with you–thinking of ways to keep warm without using the furnace much. The cost is astronomical, especially difficult, factoring in the fixed income as prices go up. Did you know that the reason the increase in the cost of living is said by the government to be so low (only 3%) is that they exclude food and fuel from the calculations. Does that make any sense to you???? No, not to me, either. Let us know what strategies you come up with, OK?

Oh swell! Thanks TT. I hear we are in for a “Nor’easter tomorrow (Saturday) night and Sunday morning. Another “oh swell!” Better just put on my winter-mood-brain and start thinking of ways to stay warm without using the oil burner! Oil prices have gone thru the roof this year.

Hey, Bex. Dig your 48 hour forecast. You may not get much, but your neighbors barely west will be…

I know our leaves have stayed much longer this year. Usually our maples are bare by the beginning of October and they still have their leaves, though they are finally changing color.

You and Texas are both having snows while you still have leaves on the trees. Well actually we did too, technically, but we had our first snow flurries on September 30th and haven’t seen a flake since.

We did get a killing frost last night. The temp went down to 24F. The high today might make 40F. We’ll see.

7. wow that seems early, as you say messed up, we had a bit of a lull in the wind but there is a warning of strong winds tonight and the speed is getting quicker and stronger now, with the snow staying on roofs it’s good to see no one is wasting heat, I hope it is just an odd bit and will go away until the leaves fall at least, good to see you enjoying retirement, Frances