Holiday Contemplations

So, has anybody noticed the changes around here? Just the look of the blog has changed. It’s as easy as one-click and you can change your look here at JournalScape, which is one reason I love it here. As opposed to when I was at WordPress where it got so darn complicated to do ANYthing, I just had to leave.

I have been very happy with JournalScape for the past 2-3 years I’ve been here. I don’t do any of that social networking but for some reason, the other day, I got it into my head to try signing up for FaceBook. Big mistake.

As usual, I could not figure out how it all worked. I have never participated in it before and I got past the part where they want you to choose a user name, but when I went to go back and do that, I couldn’t find the way back. I got so frustrated that I decided I’d get the heck out of that place for good and I deleted my account.

Supposedly.

I guess once you are “in” something, you can never really get “out” totally.

So even though I am not in Facebook any longer, that little link to FaceBook has started appearing here on my blog page! I don’t want it there. I emailed the man at JournalScape (Kenny) to ask if I could get it removed. He said there wasn’t a way to do that as of yet, but that if it were necessary, he would maybe find a way. I told him not to go to all that trouble just for me. So I guess I’m stuck with it. See it over there? In the left-hand column? I hope it won’t cause any havoc with my blog. I am not on Facebook, just for the record, so don’t go looking there for me.

~ ~ ~ ~

It’s nearing Thanksgiving in our neck of the world. I have 12 days to think of, obtain, and prepare dinner for that day. Just to firm things up with the in-laws, I asked Paul to mention it to his folks last night when he visited them and they said they would “discuss it and get back to him.”

Well kiss my grits!

I may just cancel the invite now! I realize they are over 90 and mobility is an issue with Dad. But that throws a wrench in my schedule for planning what to buy and what to prepare. If it’s just the two of us, hell, I’ll cook a normal sized dinner and call it a day. I’m not in love with holidays anyway. I wish there would be designated every other year that had no holidays in it. Just weekends for working folks. For retired folks, every day is a weekend day and I am enjoying that little perk now. But for the work-a-day world of people, weekends are very important. OK. Weekends off, but no holidays for the whole year. Every other year.

Anyone in favor, raise their hands.

~ ~ ~ ~

I saw Anne Burrell cook her “Sausage and Mushroom Stuffed Boneless Turkey Breast” today on the Food Network. I want to do that! Well, I don’t WANT to DO it, but I want to eat that. There were a lot of ingredients, one of which, the mushrooms, can’t happen here as Paul hates them. I printed out her recipe and there is a total of 20 ingredients, including the “shrooms.” It took 2 8×10 pages to print out this recipe too.

Hmmm. Is that a good idea for a person who can’t stand up long enough to prepare a quickie meal and has to do the whole thing from a kitchen stool? Not sure about this. I may alter the recipe to fit my abilities. Just a tad. Actually a lot. I like the idea of the Italian sausage in the stuffing, though.

Then Anne also made a “Sweet Potato Casserole” which I also printed out and which seems fairly easy. It has cooked mashed sweet potatoes in the bottom and a topping that includes oatmeal, brown sugar, butter and chopped walnuts. Kind of like a crumble only without apple and with sweet potato instead. Sounds yummy to me.

Paul doesn’t like sweet potatoes, though.

I suppose I could use butternut squash instead of sweet potato. He loves that.

Whatever happens, it will come, and it will go, and we’ll all probably live to see another day.

~ ~ ~ ~

Well, the bread (in the breadmaker) is calling me, by way of it’s delicious aroma downstairs, so I need to go down and pop it out of the machine. It’s Paul’s bread actually. Between his cookies, the dogs’ cookies, his homemade granola, and his homemade bread that I have to make every week, it’s just a good thing I have more free time lately. I don’t mind so much doing these things for him any more like I did when I had to get lots of work done, too.

So, what are YOU doing/cooking for Thanksgiving? Anything special you can share?

6 Responses to Holiday Contemplations

1. Crochetlady says:

Ours is Turkey, homemade cranberry sauce, Sausage and bread dressing,Mashed Potates,green bean casserole.

With FB, you can completely delete your site or you can just discontinue it and it’ll be there when you go to log back in. If you do the complete delete, it takes 2 weeks for the site to go down completely. And until that two weeks is over you can still reclaim the site if you just log in.

I don’t have a user name on my FB account either, Bex. You don’t have to if you don’t want to. And you can put your real name and your maiden name in any time.

With Thanksgiving, we’ll be doing our usual:

Turkey
    Brandied Sausage and Chestnut Stuffing
    Mashed Potatoes and Gravy
    maybe Sweet Potatoes with a cornflake top crust

Not sure what else, yet. DH and SD don’t like the jello salads with a hot meal for some reason. They think they should be desserts, whereas I grew up with them being part of the meal. *shrug*

Still not sure about dessert, either.

Well in the Fricia household we both love mushrooms by themselves or say in an omelet. I’m crazy about sweet potatoes but Michael can take or leave them. I like the idea of the TJ’s turkey breast with stuffing. Although, we are getting a turkey from the food bank so we will be taken care of there.

I had to chuckle about your adventure into Face Book. It was my experience as well the first time I ventured there. What surprises me, is I don’t have a FB link on my site. I wonder why that is.

And, I do like the new look. I am very pleased with your recommendation to join JS. I still have yet to find anyone at WordPress to resolve my problem of not being able to access my site there. Grrr.

4. sandy from iowa says:

i AM WITH pAUL…those are nasty but my husband likes them .
    Turkey day will be very simple at our place…he hate turkey so it will be ham or beef

We used to have a Trader Joe’s right up the street at the shopping center, but it closed down and I have no idea where another one is. Thanks for the tip, though. Good idea. I’ve considered cooking up a mushroom side dish before, but Paul hates even the sight of the little buggers, so I don’t want to make him uncomfortable. He came home the other day with a package of mushrooms (small) with some other things that a British couple had leftover after their stay here on holiday. They didn’t want the items to go to waste and they knew Paul might like some of them. I had the mushrooms on toast yesterday for lunch when he wasn’t here.

Trader Joe’s sells a nice turkey breast with stuffing (frozen). It makes a great dinner for two, with leftovers for sandwiches. I do it instead of a giant turkey and a bunch of side dishes. Just a thought….

BTW, my husband hates mushrooms, too. I always serve them as a side dish–more for me, yippee!