Variation on a cheesy theme…

Cheese-Its-4-Dogs0009

Seeing as how the dogs ate their way through all the lobster and bone shaped cookies, I had to bake another batch today for them. These cookies, which I am calling Cheese-Its For Dogs, are similar to the other cheesey cookies but with slight variations as follows:

CHEESE-ITS FOR DOGS

Ingredients:

1 cup All Purpose Flour

1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour

1-1/4 cups combination of grated mozzarella, parmesan, and cheddar cheeses

1 Stick Softened Butter or Margerine

1 Tsp Garlic Powder

1/4 cup Milk and a splash of sodium free chicken broth

Pinch of Salt

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

Mix all ingredients EXCEPT for the milk/broth, in a mixing bowl.

To the mixture, add just enough of the milk/broth to form a ball and pulse a few times until the dough is forming a ball somewhat. Shape it into a ball and wrap in clingwrap.

Put the “cheese ball” into the fridge to chill for about 30 minutes.

Roll out the cheese ball onto a lightly floured surface, about 1/4th inch thick. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough into evenly spaced squares, like a checkerboard. Place the square cookies on cookie sheets lined with parchment or Silpat.

Bake for about 15 minutes or until firm. Let cool until firm.

~ ~ ~ ~

I can see I’m going to have trouble keeping these things in the house! The dogs absolutely love them. They’ve each had 3 so far and they’ve only been done about 30 minutes. Maybe a double batch would be a good idea next time.

Since I used normal ingredients in these doggie cheese-its, I wanted to sample one myself. I have never actually sampled any of my previous dog cookies before.

Wow.

That’s when I found the name for them. They tasted almost exactly like my favourite little cracker, Cheese-Its! No, I won’t sneak a snack from the dogs’ cookie jar, but now I’m wondering if there is a recipe out there similar to this for the real Cheese-Its for humans. Going looking….

Cheese-Its-4-Dogs0013

Bex-The-Baker

P.S. I’m back.

I found this web site, Home Cooking in Montana where she makes almost the same things I just made, only for humans. Oh God. I may turn into a big block of cheese one day soon! Must put cheddar cheese on the shopping list again!

8 Responses to Variation on a cheesy theme…

I love Cheez-Its! Your dogs are so lucky. I love mac and cheese myself. That said, Michael picked up for me at the food bank a blue cheese only it is orange and is called Blacksticks Blue Cheese from England. It is quite tasty as long as you don’t look at it.

I wonder if there are recipes for kitties. I can imagine Bailey would like something homemade. Hmm, I see I will have to go surfin’.

2. Neva Williams says:

This is going to sound awful, but I have threatened my family with pizza out in the desert. lol! That would be different. I usually do the whole deal, with a turkey and a ham.

I like the new look to your blog, Bex. Very nice.

(I’m late with a Holiday meal comment — that sounds like me)

3. Crochetlady says:

Comfort food tends to be easiest, warm and healthy in moderation. Also tends to look good on the table!!

I’m in a cheese mode too, the last couple of days. But my subject of interest is macaroni and cheese casseroles. I’ve never done it before but I might actually end up making one for Thanksgiving.

A little aside. Lately I’ve found myself going more toward homemade comfort foods for Thanksgiving, rather than showy recipes. Am I getting old or am I just looking for comfort?

5. sue says:

Cheese is a good source of protein. That’s what’s important–not all the other stuff wrapped around it to make cookies.

Now that is a GOOD DOG. Such self control. I’d be snarfing them down in a heartbeat.

7. Neva Williams says:

Looks good, Bex. I want one… 🙂

I see that you have been busy here with some good recipes. Thanks from all of us. I love your thoughts on things too.

8. sandy from iowa says:

YUM…There isnt one thing in the doggy ones that would harm you…have one!
    The other recipe you put in for the crackers looks so easy.