The Healing Process

I wasn’t going to post an entry today, but the thoughts of that last entry about my stupid toe just left me with a bad taste, or maybe left you with one too, so I wanted to hide it in the archives of past entries and move on to other things.

Trouble is I don’t really have an “other thing” to talk about. My toe looks a lot better today after I took the Bandaid off it. It’s on the mend, I believe.

~ ~ ~

For the first couple of weeks of my retirement, I got quite a few jobs accomplished around here. I seem to have run out of steam for doing those. They are still on the list (clean out multiple closets, rearrange shelves, clean out the junque drawer in the kitchen, wash the covers on the sofa, you know…the usual) but I seem to have entered a stage of retirement that feels like a “going in slow motion” phase. I just do enough work around the house to say I’ve done something but not too much. I did vacuum today, but just the living room and dining room. Yesterday I reorganized our current DVD’s that we are watching each night. It looks like one of those library tables with the books laid out all along it, and a few standing up in the back. I’ve always been afraid we would run out of (mostly British) shows to watch in the evenings here, but so far we haven’t gotten even near the end. Good old amazon!

I’ll save news of some other things for another day. I’ve just come in with the mail and as soon as I had finished thumbing through my previously delivered catalogs, there has appeared a new supply of them. I just can’t throw them away before I’ve looked all through them. It’s an obsession with me. I don’t get out to shop so flipping through catalogs gives me that same rush I used to get from browsing in stores. Most times I don’t buy from them, only occasionally. But the hoards of them keep appearing in my post box. What’s a girl to do?

It’s 3:18 p.m. right now, and I’ll bet you a nickel in exactly 42 minutes the dogs (Kip in particular) will come over to me, and give me that big-brown-eyed-collie-look he has that says “Mummie – it’s SUPPER-TIME!”

Kips+Em0003

Every single day it happens. I have no idea how it is that he can tell time so well. But he can. He’s Kip-The-Wonder-Dog!

MidAugustDogs0012

Bex & Co.

MidAugustDogs0017

7 Responses to The Healing Process

1. sue says:

When my (late) husband was nearing retirement time he kept talking about his excitemennt at retiring from “work.”

One day I asked him what he was retiring TO. He hadn’t really given that a thought–just what he was getting away from.

I pointed out to him that I was definitely NOT “retiring ” (the word for retired housewife is widow) and, in fact, was happily teaching part time at a local university–and enjoying it thoroughly.

AND–that retirement was NOT like a vacation, when I could “clear the decks” for a couple of weeks to do what he wanted to do.

He had never given a thought to that aspect.

Oh! I forgot to say that when I was posting the last time. I love catalogs too! Just got a 2012 seed catalog in the mail today and can’t wait to look through it!

Ditto what everyone else has said.

I am glad your toe is better. It is best to stay on top of those kinds of things.

As to the projects, you sound just like me. Some days I have the energy of 10 of me and I do get a lot done. But then, there are the days where all I want to do is sit in my chair by the window and read a book.

I love catalogs! I don’t shop anymore either and you are right, I do get a big rush. There is so much I would like to get. However, with less funds I am going the way of non-consumerism. I want less clutter and I need to settle with purchasing less. Actually within a week, I’m over the “I wants.”

4. Retirement is a trip, and you can take it at your own speed… it takes a while to get that figgered out, heh.

Winter is a slower time, right up to the Winter Solstice. Go ahead and make a list, small things as well as big ones, give yourself permission to do one of the small ones on days you dont’t have as much get-up-and-go. Just be sure you do at least one thing every day. You’ll be amazed at how they all eventually get done. It’s OK to do things at your own pace now; you’ve earned the right to do so.

6. sandy from iowa says:

As she said…there is no hurry to get it all done up…you have the whole rest of your life time to do it.

Glad to hear your toe is looking better. Now if it starts bleeding again please have it looked at, it’s not safe to let unhealed tissue hang around.

I don’t see any reason to chide yourself over not closing off your list in record time. If you get an item accomplished here and there, you’re still ahead of where you were. 🙂