Moving Along thru Time…

Trying something new here. Typing an entry directly into my blog with my new laptop. A recipe for disaster I think.

Remember those cameras where you had to use those flashbulb sticks? Boy, that will date me! Not sure what year that picture was taken of me but it had to be in the 1970’s, judging from my appearance then. I was at my mother’s house probably for somebody’s birthday.

Anyway, just wanted to update you on The Chair Drama. There is really nothing to report unfortunately. No chair yet. I’ve spoken with my credit card company who are not charging me for the chair price until I call them and say I’ve received it here. No chair, no pay. However, they said they had already paid that chair place before I even got my statement so I don’t know how they are going to get back the money if I never get my chair.

Hrmph!

I’m making do with my old, slightly uncomfortable chair for now. Using an ottoman, or hassock as I call it, for my feet, but it’s not really doing the trick for me.

We got through the holidays pretty much unscathed. Very quiet here. I got what I wanted from Santa (Paul) because I bought it myself (an electric pressure cooker) and then once I had it, I was too nervous to try it out. It really got to me – the possibility of it exploding on me while Paul was out fishing, so I finally gave up and my friend offered to buy it off me because she had wanted to get one anyway. So we packed it up and took it up to UPS and it’s en route to Iowa even as I write. GOOD LUCK SANDY! If it explodes on you I will never forgive myself so please be careful!

I am not a pressure-cooker type of person. Never used one in my life. I hear they are fabulous if you can get into the groove. I remember my mother had an old fashioned kind (not electric) but I never was taught to use it. I never owned one myself, so I’m just as glad to be rid of it.

I can’t seem to make a good pot roast that Paul can eat happily. That’s why I ordered the darn thing in the first place. Since he had his thyroid glands removed surgically, he has trouble swallowing some things, like dry pieces of meat. And my pot roast, for some reason, is always on the dry side, even though I make it in a potful of tomato sauce. Oh well.

Anyone out there have any tips for making the perfect pot roast?

So far so good with the laptop. (Oh, did I tell you I got a laptop too?) I like having web access downstairs now – less trips schlepping up the stairs, less strain on the hip/leg.

Well, I’ll be back another day. Hopefully, I’ll have some kind of happy update about the chair. The last thing that company told me was that it wouldn’t be shipped out until at least January 3rd, which has come and gone and still no chair. We’ll see. How long should I let this go before I start looking for a new one?

Cheers and a Happy New to you All!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I think I could turn and live awhile with the animals…

They are so placid and self-contained,

I stand and look at them sometimes half the day long.

They do not sweat and whine about their condition,

They do not lie awake in the dark and weep for their sins,

They do not make me sick discussing their duty to God,

Not one is dissatisfied… not one is demented with the mania of owning things,

Not one kneels to another nor to his kind that lived thousands of years ago,

Not one is respectable or industrious over the whole earth.

~ [Walt Whitman, from “Leaves of Grass, No. 32”] ~

9 Responses to Moving Along thru Time…

My credit card company refunded (credited) the full amount so I didn’t have to pay anything (yet) for the chair, since I have never received it. They also sent a letter to me and to the chair company saying the same, so probably the chair won’t be coming now, but I’m letting it go. I don’t need all that anger in me any more. I’ll go hunting for another chair one day down the road.

2. Sue says:

My cooking has changed a lot since I became a retired housewife (widow) more than twelve years ago. There’s no reason to cook something like a pot roast, or a multi-meal (for a “normal” family) casserole.

And DITTO Topsy Turvy re: The Chair.

How about writing a Letter to the Editor griping about the so-called service of the chair people (be sure and name the company) and asking for help on getting an address for someone willing to do something!

Oh–if they offer your money back demand interest on it!

Great photos Bex! I do remember those stick flash bulbs. Boy that was a long time ago. Sorry to hear about the chair. Geesh, I can’t imagine the company has much repeat business if this is how they operate. I’m with the rest of the girls when it comes to cooking. A roast with fat on it and do it in the slow cooker. However, writing that, I remember a few of my roasts have come out dry even with lots of stock.

Well, all of you know all of my pot roast secrets, so I guess I’ll just say, “ditto” (remember ditto paper?). Chuck roast in crock pot — fork tender.

I have trouble swallowing with some dry foods too. Sometimes the best you can do is have a drink with you and drink something while you’re chewing your meat.

As to how long to wait for your chair, I’d say that if you haven’t gotten it by about the 20th that you should file a complaint and ask your credit card company to do a charge back.

6. Betty Lou says:

Normally the crockpot (slow cooker) will make anything tender.

Good tips ladies, thanks! I did brown the meat. I cooked it in the oven in a big pot, immersed in tomato sauce diluted with water, for 4 hours. The liquid did not boil away either, and it was still a little dry. I will try the slow cooker next time. Maybe the cut of meat was not fatty enough. Paul picks out my groceries now and he is not schooled in the fine art of meat-choosing, so I do with what he comes home with. 😉

8. Crochetlady says:

It also depends on the type of roast-try using a chuck roast, slow oven-300, and brown the meat first. When the meat comes out, it should just about fall apart on the fork. You need a piece of meat with lots of fat/tendons running through it. The cheaper cuts the better, and a long cooking time-4hours usually works best.

9. Carol says:

I am not a cook but I can make a roast in the crock pot.I just put it in add carrots and potatoes and a pack of onion soup mix and water. Cook on low for about 6 hours and it is very moist. So easy. I guess that is a pot roast?