Soup of the Day: Broccoli Cheddar

soup-bowls0008

Today, quite on the spur-of-the-moment, I made the best batch of soup I’ve ever made in my life. Ever.

You see, I had been buying heads of broccoli for the last 3 weeks and I kept forgetting to use them. So I had 3 plastic bags of lovely green broccoli in the fridge that needed to be used.

Soup!

Broccoli soup.

Better yet, broccoli & cheddar cheese soup!

I sauteed 1 chopped onion and 2 small carrots in 1 stick of butter. Added a little olive oil. Also chopped up the stems of the broccoli into the same size and sauteed those. When that was all soft, I added 1/3 cup flour and cooked that down a bit, and then I added (and this is my own concoction, not in any recipe I found published) 1.5 cups of Almond Milk (unsweetened), 1.5 cups of 1% milk, and 2 cups of low sodium chicken stock. Once that all came up to a slow boil, I added the broccoli flowerettes. I cooked it for a few minutes until the broccoli was soft, and then I added about 2 cups of freshly grated cheddar cheese. I added about 1 tsp. of nutmeg, 1 tsp of thyme, and a little bit of salt and some “Pepper Medley” – about 1 TBSP.

Once it was done, very quickly really, I got out my IMMERSION BLENDER (which I have only used once before this) and whizzed it in the pot of soup til it was all liquified but still had bits of green and orange from the veggies. Some tiny bits were still chewable. I ladeled out a half-cup of it as it was lunchtime, and oh my. That just happened to be the best soup I’ve EVER had.

Ever.

I put the rest in the fridge and we’ll have it tomorrow for supper with some onion rolls I have hanging around.

soup-bowls0005

So that’s what I did today.

It’s been blowing up a wild wind-storm today. No rain or snow, just crazy-mad-wind. I am sick of it and a little scared, too. Don’t much like crazy mad wind almost as much as I don’t like thunder & lightning.

(Note: Photos were taken the following day, Sunday. The soup was not hot but cold in the photograph, that’s why it’s a little “lumpy” looking. When it’s piping hot, it’s much more liquid looking but still thick and yummy!)

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.” ~ ~ ~ ~ ~[Matthew 19:23-24]

8 Responses to Soup of the Day: Broccoli Cheddar

Well, I am hungry now and I know what to do with the broccoli in my fridge.

2. Joan says:

Oh that looks scrumptious!!!!

3. That soup is going on my “To-Do Recipes” list! I love broccoli and cheddar! Just last week, I had those on top of a baked potato.

Oh, that soup looks and sounds good! I really need to get things together to make a few soups. DH does his beef and barley soups with the stock we have left over from when he makes spareribs but we don’t often do other kinds of soups.

I am not going all biblical or religious on you either. Today for some reason Paul and I were trying to think of that saying about the eye of the needle and a rich man not getting into heaven, although we kept thinking it was an elephant and not a camel, so I had to look it up. I cannot quote text from the Bible but I do see some sense in this particular quote, seeing as how we are not rich by any means, monetarily at least. But Sarah (Rhubarb) really has the right idea – I’m sure we are all a lot “richer” in what really counts than we give ourselves credit for. It’s the top 1% who have to worry really…. wonder where they are going in the end? Oh, we’ll have to ask Sanitorium or that Graham cracker-character… they seem to know it all.

Well, Bex, I guess I don’t have to worry about being turned away from the kingdom of God, because I ain’t that rich–unless you want to count how richly I am blessed with friends, decent health, roof over my head, clothes on my back, 4-footed friends. Then, yes indeed, I am wealthy beyond all expectation. And very grateful.

7. sandy from iowa says:

My printer is whizzing right now…the soup is on my to do list real soon

8. WendyNC says:

Your soup sounds lovely!

I don’t mind thunderstorms, but I don’t much like those crazy mad windstorms either, and we had one today as well. I’d never make it living on the prairie.