Soup, Redux

soup-bowls0005

I meant to mention the dishware in the photos. (See yesterday’s blog entry for more photos of the soup).

I received the lovely pale yellow vegetable covered bowl from my friend, Mary (Hi Mary!!!! and Thanks Again!) for Christmas. Love that bowl. We used it last night for our shrimp pasta primavera (which I will write about another time).

Anyway, the other bowls are “Maine” chowder bowls that I bought recently from that Stonewall Kitchen web site that I told you about recently. I got 4 bowls in total. I love them so much. I eat my cereal out of them and now my broccoli cheese soup which is on the menu for tonight. Also, I have just begun making a (bread machine) Rustic Italian/French Loaf of bread to go with the soup. Not sure that bread will be successful. Have had a little trouble lately with breads not rising very well, so we’ll see. Even though we are not “from Maine,” we both love Maine, my husband went to college in Maine, and it’s just a fabulous state overall to visit, live in, or come from. I know my friend Emily (Words of Mine) comes from Maine, so you might like these bowls, Em! They were not that expensive, either. I think I paid about $7.95 each for them, and the shipping & handling from the Stonewall Kitchen on-line catalog was FREE I believe! So about $32 for 4 very nice sized, very pleasing chowder bowls. Not a bad deal. They are substantial, too. And microwave and dishwasher safe!

You’d think I was getting paid to advertise these things but I’m not.

The yellow vegetable dish Mary gave me also came from there (I believe it did – Mary? Did it?) and that is a beautiful bowl, as well.

soup-bowls0003

So that’s that. Nothing much ever happens around here that is newsworthy so when I get to invent a new soup and it turns out fabulous, that deserves to be written up.

Last night I made a shrimp pasta primavera which I had never made before either, and oh my oh my, it was very very good, as well. I go through these phases of decent cooking but most times it’s the same old things, boring fare here at CC. I really must keep up the good work.

soup-bowls0010

Cheers for good food,

Bex & Friends

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Again I tell you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God.”

~ ~ ~ ~[Matthew 19:23-24] ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

6 Responses to Soup, Redux

I did notice those bowls from the previous entry. I will have to check them out. I, too, love the photos.

Of course, I put my laptop on the counter opposite where I cook. Over there where the bowls are sitting, out of harm’s way. Because if I can spill something, I will. Yes, Sandy, I am careful!

3. sandy from iowa says:

love the bowls you now have to partake of the yummy foods.
    Just becareful of laptop and dont spilling thing on it …might not work after you do …just kidding…I know you are careful 🙂
    Smart idea…may have to get a laptop yet

A trick I discovered lately about cooking a new recipe, now that I have my laptop, is that when I think I have the basic ingredients for a new dish, I then begin to look up a good recipe, and once I find it, rather than print it out and store it with my others, which always end up languishing in a drawer somewhere, I get the recipe, usually in a print form, up on the screen, take my laptop into the kitchen and make it right there from the laptop on the countertop. It seems to work because that’s how I’ve done the last several new recipes. Sometimes I alter the ingredients a bit but the basic recipe is right there on my screen AND I can read it without my glasses on, which I have been using to cook for the last few years. I hate cooking with reading glasses on, but with the laptop, I can increase the size of the images/text to 150% and everything is clear as a bell!

So nice of you to include the smaller members of the household in your pictures. I look forward to seeing them!

At my age, I love to cook, but I’m so tired of my own cooking. Everyone else says it’s delicious and the stuff disappears out of the serving dishes and off the plates, so I guess it must be. I look forward to the church potlucks, where I can enjoy someone else’s flavors for a change.

Your soup sounds wonderful. Must give it a try. Like TT, I copy down a lot of recipes and then keep on cookin’ the same old stuff.

Sounds like you’re trying a lot of new foods. Good for you, Bex! I find I’ve been copying down recipes for a lot of new foods lately. Of course the problem with copying down recipes is that you (I) often end up writing them down (saving them to the computer) but don’t necessarily ever use them.

*sigh*