The Stone Cracked

winternotspring0003

This was our world yesterday morning, March 10th.

Today, the 11th, there is no snow to be seen anywhere. Go figure!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I had ordered a baking stone online to make my naan (Indian style bread). This is the baking stone when we opened up the box:

bakingstonearrivedbroken0003

Yup. Broken. It’s waiting for a UPS man to come here tomorrow to pick it up and take it back, no charge to me, thank-you-very-much.

I will not order one of these again online. I will make the effort to go out into the real world and find one myself so I may transport it home in one piece.

You will notice that we did nothing to alter the picture above – there was no protective wrapping of any kind other than that flimsy thin box. As soon as you lifted it up (and it’s pretty hefty) it sounded like a million pieces were loose in there. The FedEx delivery man didn’t even knock on the door and I was right here. He just put it inside the storm door on the side deck and took off. He must have known it was broken. Actually, we were surprised that it wasn’t in more pieces than it was from the sound of it.

Friend Mary and I are planning a little trip to downtown Salem one of these days soon to a place called West India Goods Store. The supposedly carried Indian spices at really fabulous prices from what I read in the reviews of that store. Here is one such testimonial of this place.

It’s really more for the tourists in Salem but heck, I can be a tourist if I try. I get out so rarely that Salem will probably have changed completely since the last time I was down there!

That’s it for now. Keep on keeping-on…

Paul & Kips

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Life is not a continuum of pleasant choices, but of inevitable problems that call for strength, determination, and hard work.”

[Indian Proverb]

9 Responses to The Stone Cracked

I can’t imagine a company sending such a fragile product in such shabby packing. What were they thinking?

Yes, TT, our snow is long gone now. It was gone the same night that I took that photos on this page. Incredible weather this year. Very strange.

Is your snow all gone now, Bex?

4. You’d think they would know enough to package goods properly! How frustrating for you. {Hug}

That spice store looks great. I guess they buy in bulk and repackage the herbs and spices themselves. We used to do that at the co-op warehouse where I worked years ago.

I wonder what idiot thought that it didn’t need protective packaging–or most likely wasn’t thinking at all, distracted by what s/he was going to do after work or last night’s fling with his/her girlfriend. I’m being politically correct, here, after TT pointed out that I’m guilty of man-bashing.

I had to chuckle at your last picture, with people and pets obviously flaked out, napping.

Sorry to hear about the stone breaking. I’m not surprised given the way that companies seem to handle things now a days. DH has even told me tales of when he was a youth a working for the post office. He told me about how they would move packages by throwing them up and then batting them to the other side of the room!!! When I protested at their doing that his answer (taken from when he was a kid – I HOPE) was that the packages weren’t marked fragile!

DH is no longer a careless person, so I’ve no idea why he would think that way. No, I do. He was still a KID.

OK…I ordered the stone from Warehouse Deals. Never again!

8. l'empress says:

Who was your online vendor? (So we’ll know from whom we should not order.) I’ve ordered some things that were very well packed; others…not so much.

9. Joan says:

#1. I love that Indian proverb that you have posted. I have to keep that in mind over the next few weeks!

#2. Don’t you just want to cry when you order someting online and it’s either broken or just not what you thought it would be? AAARRRGGGHHHH!