When the forsythia comes in bloom, and other ravings on spring

Speaking of Spring (weren’t we?), I thought some comparison photos might be fun.

The photo below was taken on the first day of spring in 2011 (just a year ago) here at CC. Oh my. What was Mother Nature thinking?

FirstDayOfSpring0008

Below is a photo taken on the first day of spring in 2012, just two days ago, here at CC:

Dogs&NextDoor-20March20120011

I tend to gauge whether spring has really sprung by the forsythia bush in my neighbor’s front garden. When there is snow on the ground, as there was last year at this date, no blooms could be seen, but this year, as you can see in the photo above, which was taken on the first day of spring of this year, 2012, there is an ever-so-faint hue of yellow on the forsythia bush at Peggy’s place across the street.

Just below is the photo I took just today, two days into spring of 2012. No snow. Forsythia just popping out. Lovely weather (it’s been in the 70s to 80s the last couple of days here!).

PeggysForsythiaFirstBloom20120001

Here it is, in the Spring of 2010, in its full majesty and glory. I love that bush. I’ve told Peggy I love that bush, and she has kept it pruned back, I see, this year so it’s much more “neat & tidy” than previously. I like forsythia both ways.

Peggy's Forsythia Spring 2010

I like a neat and tidy forsythia bush and/or hedge. I used to drive by a house in Marblehead that had forsythia hedges lining the entire front and side perimeters of the property, which was quite extensive, and in the spring, when the yellow was at it’s most glorious, it was a spectacular sight.

I also like a wild forsythia look. We have one in our garden, next to the driveway, that has not been kept pruned or neat and tidy, although Paul does try to trim it when he thinks of it. I keep telling him not to trim it in the fall or early spring as he’ll cut off all the new flowering buds, so this year I’m afraid he has let it go wild. But I do like a wild looking forsythia, as well.

The photo below was taken in early spring of 2002. Note the slightly blooming and wild-looking forsythia bush in the center of the photo, just to the left of the red blooming quince bush. I had a heckuva time planting that forsythia. I moved it from a remote area of the garden to this spot when we first bought the house, and there is ledge/rock underneath it so it almost didn’t even grow there at all.

Crow Cottage

Ah, 2002 – that was a very good year! It was the last time we went to England. Ten whole years ago. Remember Sandy? How could we forget? What a fun trip.

Sandy and Paul Overlooking Hambleton Hills at Sutton Bank

That’s Sandy, above, who was afraid of high places before this trip! She and Paul are atop (very high) Sutton Bank in North Yorkshire in this photo, enjoying the spectacular view of the Hambleton Hills and westward toward the Dales.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

It’s funny how a blog entry on forsythia comparisons can wind its merry way into a reminiscence of our last trip to England ten years ago… but all things are connected, in one way or another, and it’s nice that we have a document of these wonderful times we had. I love the internet. I may not be the most savvy person on it, but it’s nice to be able to share things with friends like this.

Sandy & Paul in Northstead Gardens

Above are Sandy & Paul at Northstead Gardens in Scarborough, North Yorkshire, England. Being tourists. What fun.

Cheers for Spring, for forsythia bushes, for England, and for everlasting friendships!

Bex & Co.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”

[Anatole France]

For a really good read, see “From Marblehead to Provincetown: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Skater”

11 Responses to When the forsythia comes in bloom, and other ravings on spring

This is our forsythia! It’s a little on the wild side:

2. lovely photos and memories Bex, I have forsythia but rarely get flowers I’m not sure why, I found a few this year I would love to have a yellow bush, I think I like the wild look, yours must be getting big now, Frances

Lovely photos, they have made my day. I’m not sure if we have forsythia here in California. For me, it’s the California poppy that blooms along side the roads that grab my attention this time of year.

4. t.s. says:

A really nice journal entry. Love how you connect things that may seem at first to be incongruous. Your study of forsythia pulls together all that seems separate and gives the reader the sense that nature may be diverse and disconnected in what she is doing, but the intellect we all possess can reconnect all.

TS…

5. Nina says:

Forsythia’s on my mind too. And travel. And the Internet. Two minds, drifting along similar paths…

We have a forsythia in our backyard. I think we’re about 2 days behind you with where it is in blooming. You can see the buds are yellow and swelling but ours aren’t open yet, though I have seen some nearby that have opened.

Only thing is the blooms will be slowing down, now. Our high was around 80 today but tomorrow it’s supposed to be in the 50s, I believe, and it’s scheduled to stay there for at least next week.

7. Carol says:

I planted a forsythia bush in our yard for just that reason- to see when spring would appear. But I don’t have to look far,every flowering trees are in bloom, even the red bud. It is so pretty here now. Very unusual for this time of the year.

8. sandy from iowa says:

BTW Bex…that was a trip of a life time…I have stuff in my head I will never forget..Paul and you was such fun to tour with.
    I do hope one day you can get back there..I have told them where your ashes are going..that is a nice story 🙂

9. sandy from iowa says:

THANKS for the flower photos of showing spring …also thanks for the photo of Paul and I…we was two feet from a huge drop off and I was shaking inside…this was a view of heaven here on the ground

All things are connected…forsythia bushes, friends-in-fur, Yorkshire countryside and you. If people could focus on the connections, the web of interrelationships that binds us all, maybe there would be less hate, less war, less despair.

11. l'empress says:

Forsythia was always one of the first signs of spring when I was a kid. My dad used to trim them every few years, but I loved them best when they got heavy and the branches bent over to the ground. They would take root, leaving a hidey-hold inside. Loved it! 🙂