A Change of Cookies and Seasons

Uh,oh! Look what’s almost empty! The DOG-COOKIE JAR!

DogCookiesDone0002

Gotta make the dog-cookies!

I usually make a peanut butter cookie for them from this cookbook:

DogCookies0024

Dog Bites.

It’s an older book, and I’m not sure you can find it any more. But I love it. Today’s recipe is one I’ve never made before called “Tess’s Nice Breath Biscuits.” Now don’t get me wrong. My dogs don’t really have “doggy breath,” per se. Of course they have doggy breath because they are dogs and they do breathe, but it’s not bad breath, by any means. I just thought they’d like a change from the usual peanut butter cookies, and it turns out they did!

SpringAroundCC-24Mar120013

I happened to have a bunch of fresh mint that I’d bought at Whole Foods when Mary and I went for the Indian Spices, so I used the whole bunch of mint for these cookies. You can see the recipe in one of the pictures here, so I won’t type it out for you again. But it is a simple recipe. The only difference is that usually I form the cookies with my hands, rolling the dough into little balls and flattening each ball into a cookie, but this called for me to roll out the dough and use a cookie cutter. That is so time consuming for me, but I did it anyway. I only have two cookie cutters in the house, too. One is a dog bone and the other is a lobster shape. So I made a batch of dog-bone-shaped-minty dog cookies.

I used every last bit of the dough, too. Didn’t want to waste any.

DogCookies0007

And here they all are, ready to pop into a 350 F oven for 40 minutes, and then leave for a while to get crunchy after the oven is turned off.

DogCookies0020

I think you can probably get the recipe by this picture if you click on it or enlarge it.

DogCookies0022

Meanwhile, in the other room, the bread machine was bleeping at me to say “I’m Done! I’m Done!” so I got that out of the pan and poof! We have a new loaf of 10-grain bread. The kitchen is really humming right about now with goodies.

(Note: The bread below is NOT a biscotti bread – it is just a 10-grain bread that I was making at the same time as the dog biscuits. However, when someone asked me if the bread were a “biscotti bread,” that got me to thinking that maybe I could try doing that… will have to think on it.)

DogCookiesDone0005

Cookies are all done – cooked and hardened into crispy crunchie treats for my sweeties. Miraculously, they all fit into that glass cookie jar, too!

DogCookiesDone0004

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Our heat wave has abated, and this morning the heat actually came on in the house! It was hot-hot here just the other day(s). I even cranked the air-conditioner up for a brief period, it was so hot! It’s back to normal spring weather now.

Oh, and I took one more picture of that glorious forsythia plant across the street at Peggy’s, and here she is, in full blooming glory:

DogCookiesDone0008

Bex & Co.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”

[Anatole France]

For a really good read, see “From Marblehead to Provincetown: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Skater”

7 Responses to A Change of Cookies and Seasons

What a lovely post. I adore your photos. The bread sounds delicious. I do not have a bread machine but I am slowly being urged to make bread. I love the idea of making doggie treats. I will have to check out the book for cats because I would like to make some for Bailey.

2. sandy from iowa says:

LUCKY FUZZIES…LUCKY PAUL :-)))

3. Neva Williams says:

Thanks so much for the recipe! I do occasionally make biscuits for my dog & my granddaughter’s dog … but this recipe looks better than what I have been doing.

I can remember when you and I had the same Bread Machine, saw it on your counter some years ago … but you’ve moved on to a better one. 🙂 I love using a bread machine, you can actually do so much with them. Thanks Bex.

Karen: Well, we don’t have to “proof” anything. If you use a mix (we used Bob’s Red Mill 10-grain which is fabulous but we also maked from-scratch bread, too), all you do is put 1-1/4 cp liquid (they call for water but I use 1% milk) that I warm up in the microwave for 30 seconds, 3 TBSP oil, and dump the mix on top of that, and open the included yeast packet and sprinkle on top. Put the pan in the machine and press go.

That takes all of about 2 minutes. The only other thing you might have to do is, when the beeper comes on when there is about 1:40 on left on the clock, you can take the dough out and remove the little paddle. If you don’t there will be a paddle-sized hole in the bottom of the bread, so we always remove it. But it’s not necessary. This particular bread takes 3 hrs/40 mins. plus the 2 minutes it takes to start it up and you never do anything else. You don’t have to heat up your kitchen either with a hot stove in the summertime.

We never would have bought a bread maker for ourselves, but many, many years ago, before my mother passed, she sent one to us for Xmas from Florida and we let it sit for months before trying it. We are not new-contraption type people. We never stopped using it after that first loaf.

Of course, it comes with a great recipe bookklet. The rosemary olive oil is to die for. And you can even make jams, etc. with this thing. We must have gone through about 4 or 5 machines in the last 20 years because we use it on average about once every 6 days.

We have this one, a Cuisinart 2 lb capacity machine. We could not live without ours.

5. Karen says:

I don’t get the purpose of a bread machine. I used to bake breads like crazy in the 80’s and would proof the dough in the microwave. Please tell me the bread maker benefits before I run out and purchase one?

Rhu: Yes (bread machine), yes (bush blooms) and YES (doggie eye). I put the fuzzies in for you as you seem to enjoy them in my blog entries.

I have the Cuisinart Bread Maker.

More than the peanut butter cookies, the dogs are bugging me for more cookies-please-Mummie with these minty ones. I guess they like it. And puppy kisses are so much sweeter (if there could be such as a thing as an even sweeter kiss than from your puppy).

I also saw online that the pair who wrote this Dog Bites book also wrote a book called Cat Nips. Not sure if it’s available.

How interesting. I would never have guessed that dogs would like mint flavored dog bones. Just goes to show you.

The loaf of bread, size and shape and indentations, makes me think that you and I have the same bread maker (or very similar ones). Makes extra-large slices, yes?

That forsythia bush is incredible. Trimming it back seems to have really encouraged the blooms.

Is that a doggie eye I see peeking out of the screen door?