Some Information to Know

I don’t usually pass stuff I receive by email around like this, especially in my blog, however, the woman who sent this to me was my Kip’s first Mummie (we got Kip from her and her husband; they raise collies) and I trust her. I also like Dr. Oz on TV, and I trust him.

My Paul had thyroid cancer himself and had to have his entire thyroid, both sides/lobes, removed. So it’s near to our hearts here. And if it helps anyone, so much the better.

Subject: Thyroid cancer

On Wednesday, Dr. Oz had a show on the fastest growing cancer in women, thyroid cancer. It was a very interesting program and he mentioned that the increase could possibly be related to the use of dental x-rays and mammograms. He demonstrated that on the apron the dentist puts on you for your dental x-rays, there is a little flap that can be lifted up and wrapped around your neck. Many dentists don’t bother to use it. Also, there is something called a “thyroid guard” for use during mammograms.

By coincidence, I (the writer) had my yearly mammogram yesterday. I felt a little silly, but I asked about the guard and sure enough, the technician had one in a drawer.

I asked why it wasn’t routinely used.

Answer: “I don’t know. You have to ask for it.”

Well, if I hadn’t seen the show, how would I have known to ask?

We need to pass this on to our daughters, nieces, mothers and all our female friends and husbands tell your wives !!

Someone was nice enough to forward this to me. I hope you pass this on to your friends and family.

There. I have passed it on to you. You may have known this or not, but better to know it than not.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”

[Anatole France]

For a really good, albeit long, read, see “From Marblehead to Provincetown: The Loneliness of a Long-Distance Skater”

7 Responses to Some Information to Know

Thanks for the reminder. My dental doctors are crazy for xrays, and I can understand the need to see inside the outer oral structures, but I’m going to start insisting that they take fewer of them.

My grandmother had thyroid cancer when she was in her 60s. She also had her thyroid removed.

Thanks for the info, Bex! We will make sure that all of us have thyroid protection whenever we have x-rays.

I am SO happy to have been of some help to you all. I can remember when Paul was diagnosed with thyroid cancer, his endocrinologist kept asking him if he had ever been exposed to much radiation or xrays, etc. Remember me writing once not long ago about us being in Scotland on our honeymoon in 1986, and then I read how the radiation that leaked from Chernobyl in the USSR actually drifted all the way over to Scotland, and it was the exact time we were there!!! Well, we get radiation from a lot of places and I’m sure it’s all affecting our thyroids somehow.

I think that Paul, being a lobsterman all his life, must have gotten a lot of sun radiation by being outside all day every day, too. We really are kind of delicate when you think of all the nasty things in the universe that can get us!

4. Thank you very much! I didn’t know this. My doctor has biopsied my thyroid (came out okay) but was urging an unnecessary x-ray the last time I was examined, and I refused it. I told him I was worried about “over-dosing on x-rays.” I’m glad to know this, as I have “tooth pics” coming up next month and I WILL ask for a thyroid shield!

I’m glad you shared this information Bex. I was not aware of the protection we could be taking. I do have trouble with my thyroid and I surely don’t want to add to the problem.

6. sandy from iowa says:

THANKS…I didnt know this and will make sure next time at tooth doc i am covered

7. Neva Williams says:

Thanks Bex. My granddaughter, Sarah (24 yrs old) is dealing with Thyroid Cancer since a year ago. So, in my family, we are very conscious of this type of cancer … BUT, I hadn’t heard anything about this particular aspect of protection. I appreciate your passing it on, and I will do the same. My Sarah has two small children, and she needs to know about this, as we all do. Thanks again.