Strike Three, You’re OUT!

Now I’m starting to feel guilty if I don’t write an entry here every day. That’s unusual for me. I used to be able to go long periods of silence here. I don’t have much to say either, so I should probably just keep quiet. I like this picture below:

dogs-1223090007

So I thought I’d share it. I know, I know. What pictures of the dogs haven’t you seen? Probably none.

Actually, I’m feeling a little down right now.

My baseball team just lost the game. We won 3 in a row against Tampa Bay, too, and this was the 4th. I was so hoping for a sweep. It was the 9th inning, they were ahead 1-0, and we had 2 outs but with the bases loaded. Our new acquisition, Cody Ross, comes to the plate. I have high hopes. So far this year he has proven to be fabulous for our team.

But it is late in the game, the temperature here has risen to mid to high 80s and everyone is a little cranky to be so hot. The umpire behind home plate has been calling all the wrong calls for a while now, and just in this up, he has called 3 in a row wrong. He calls the last one wrong, as well, STRIKE THREE! and he’s out, game over, we lose.

Cody Ross was beside himself mad. He threw his bat and hat down and stomped off the field. In the dug-out he ranted and raved all over the place, boy was he ever mad. And so was I.

Oh well. We took 3 out of 4 and at least are now back on track as a team. We can only look forward now.

It’s going to be a long summer in baseball.

~ ~ ~

Boston just hosted the Boston Maraton today, also, while the ballgame was going on at Fenway. Due to the high temperatures today, they told those who didn’t want to risk it that they could drop out and run for free here next year. A lot did. They warned everyone else to slow down and to actually walk when their bodies started to hurt. A lot did that, too. I didn’t really watch it but from the blips I heard, even one of the top lady runners had to be carted away in an ambulance before finishing the race. I have no idea who won but whoever they are, they are from Africa somewhere I think. It seemed that all six front-runner ladies were from there. They are good runners.

So that’s it. I needed to vent about the ballgame, and I’m done now. See you around…

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“There are only two seasons – winter and baseball.”
[Bill Veeck]

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”

[Anatole France]

CC Plaque

2009 Archives ~ 2010 Archives ~ 2011 Archives ~ 2012 Archives

9 Responses to Strike Three, You’re OUT!

I love the photos of your puppies. They are so cute together.

Sad to read about the game.

Plus, if I haven’t said so, I like the new look of your site. And, it is nice to hear from you on a daily basis.

Michael, that story about B.Valentine and Kevin is a whole other ballgame, maybe we’ll talk about it later and see how things play out. I am not a big Bobby Valentine fan. I like Tito. I hated the way he managed sometimes, coddling the players, etc, but they have had a rude awakening with this guy, BV, and they aren’t being coddled now!

In this world, there are NEVER enough pictures of the puppers!

Sounds like the ump was a TB fan…

5. Michael says:

Hey, don’t legislate all the colorful characters out of baseball! That wouldn’t be good for the game, either.

I wonder what you think about the drama brought on by Bobby Valentine’s comments about Kevin Youkilis. Talk about colorful guys — Valentine seems to love all attention, good or bad. That kind of thing can either tear a team apart or bring it together.

Not that the Red Sox clubhouse EVER lacked drama, of course! It’s been borderline dysfunctional for years, even when they were winning the World Series.

Harriet, since it was the last out of the whole game, game was over at that point so no point in throwing him “out” – of what? Dressing room? But you are right. And I do like that rule generally, but this umpire was so obviously wrong for so many calls in this game, it was bad.

7. sandy from iowa says:

BTW…I ALWAYS love seeing the fuzzies

8. sandy from iowa says:

bummerBUMMER…I had hopes they would pull this off.
    Sorry about your heat…here in Iowa it is on the chilly side now

9. l'empress says:

Cody Ross was lucky he wasn’t thrown out of the game. There used to be so many arguments about wrong calls that they wrote a new rule: no one — neither team — can argue about a called ball or strike.

Even if he didn’t say anything out loud, the umpire might have been nasty enough to toss him.

It was one of the few good rules they wrote. MLB has been shooting itself in the foot for years.