Happy Birthday, Fenway – 100 Years Old!

MoreGarden0047

Hello again. Come have a cuppa tea with me. Maybe a piece of apple strudel that I made yesterday?

AppleStrudel0003

AppleStrudel0004

OK, I know the photo is less than ideal but I need a new camera – maybe someday.

I am just getting all settled in to my chair to watch the Red Sox play the Yankees on our 100th Anniversary of Fenway Park. It’s a really big deal today here. The players will be wearing replicas of the original uniforms worn on the first game at Fenway back in 1912. Someone wrote that they are going to look like ice cream truck drivers. All white uniforms, white plain hats, and no numbers. Some of the players are complaining that the pants are too short. Oh well. Not a fashion show. Just a remembrance of 100 years of ball at Fenway.

I have no illusions that we will win today’s game. I’m not really looking for that. Just to be part of the celebration is all I care about. So I have my seat, my cup of tea and apple strudel all ready to enjoy an afternoon of baseball.

Cheers, and play ball!

Happy 100th Birthday, Fenway Park!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”

[Anatole France]

“There are only two seasons – winter and baseball.”

[Bill Veeck]

FENWAY PARK – 100 YEARS OLD

2007-2009 Archives ~ 2003 – 2007 Archives ~ 2009 Archives ~ 2010 Archives ~ 2011 Archives ~ 2012 Archives

7 Responses to Happy Birthday, Fenway – 100 Years Old!

1. l'empress says:

Ooh, that strudel looks almost as good as my Gramma’s. I’ve never duplicated hers, though mine was good.

The most amazing thing about Fenway is that they kept it, unlike so many others. Boston is, after all, very history-minded. I liked Ebbets Field in Brooklyn, NY.

Don’t worry, Sil. Fenway Park is here to stay forever. They just poured many millions of dollars into it to rehab the Park and buildings so it’s not going anywhere. They did a spectacular job at it too. It still feels just like the Fenway we all know and love.

You can read all about it here – they had 53,000 fans in to see the ballpark all free of charge on Thursday.

And one more thing, during the introduction to yesterday’s game (which, BTW, we lost to the Yankees), there was a toast to Fenway. Everyone in the stadium had some juice to toast with and a glass and it turned out to be the largest group toast in history – the previous one being something like 27,000+ people, and this was more than 37,000 people! Go Fenway. Go Red Sox Nation.

Now if only we can win some games!

3. Fenway is a great old park!!! It’s a Real Ballpark! I don’t like the stadium-feel of newer baseball places. This is a historic landmark, and I hope some urban-renewal idiots don’t do to it what they did to “The Garden.”

Wow, I would have thought that Fenway had it’s 100th some years ago.

Nice looking strudel! I’m surprised you keep putting down your camera, though. I think it takes wonderful pics.

Thanks Rhu. Yes, Fenway has a lot of history. Been immersed in it all afternoon. Of course, Boston is losing to the Yankees but that’s the way this season is going I’m afraid. Too many new staff to ensure a winning season I think. Oh well.

Look at that good dog, politely turned head away from humans’ food. Your children are well-behaved. Wish the same for some human children!

NPR had a really nice program essay on Fenway Park yesterday, with clips from the “good old days” and history chapters. It might be online, if you were interested.

7. sandy from iowa says:

WOW…COOL photos today of food and games…100 years old and still going strong :-))