The Remains of the Day…

A big THANK YOU for all your concern and prayers yesterday.

The drama is over. Paul’s boat is back in the water. He planned to go lobstering today but had to do a family errand this morning. Maybe later, but it is quite windy outside so not sure.

I wanted to show you something funny. See this picture of the very spot where his boat went aground yesterday?

wheretheboatwas-birds-bait

Notice all the seagulls flying around lots of white things on the rocks.

I’m not 100% sure but I think that must be the remains of the half-tote (this is a “tote” – Paul is hauling one aboard his boat in this picture) of bait that Paul says he had to dump overboard to lighten the load on the boat so he could get it to float off the rocks yesterday. He just casually mentioned that to me last night when he was telling me he had to go down to Gloucester early this morning for more bait – he’d had to dump a half-tote of it yesterday.

wheretheboatwas-bait

I’ll just bet that’s what those birds are loving right about now, at low tide. Lots of free eats!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Our entry to it is naked and bare;

Our journey through it is trouble and care;

Our exit from it is who-knows-where;

So if we’re all right here, we’re all right there.”

[Jack Rosenthal]

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”

[Anatole France]

“There are only two seasons – winter and baseball.”

[Bill Veeck]

ORGANIC COCONUT OIL INFORMATION

2003 – 2007 Archives ~ 2007-2009 Archives ~ 2009 Archives ~ 2010 Archives ~ 2011 Archives ~ 2012 Archives

Iowa Eagle Cam

Video streaming by Ustream

10 Responses to The Remains of the Day…

1. K8 says:

Hooray!

Since I’m a few days late, I am glad to know that Paul’s boat is okay. Gulls are opportunistic. I was at the beach one day and I had some grapes with me. One of the gulls came down to check me out and I got it to do a little dance in return for a grape. She/he really loved those grapes and it was fun to watch it do it’s thing to get one.

3. Michael says:

By the way, Bex, thanks for trying out the new comments box over at buntsign.com. I took your lead and was able to add a link just by copying and pasting, no HTML required! I’m so glad that worked. I wonder what else we can do over there.

4. Betty Lou says:

I’m so glad everything went well, & Paul’s boat is O.K.

5. Michael says:

Gulls are very opportunistic. Back when the Giants used to play a lot of day games at Candlestick Park, which is on the bay, the gulls would start circling the ballpark every day at 4:00 pm, the time most games ended. They knew there would be plenty of discarded food for them to pick from, if they got to it before the cleanup crew did.

6. Just getting caught up here. Missed the drama! It’s been a busy week here. I’m so very glad Paul’s boat is okay. A half-tote of bait is a reasonable price to pay to get afloat again with no damage, I guess. Hugs from Asia!

I used to live at the shore, a stone’s throw from the high tide line. Seagulls would drop shellfish from the sky to break on the rocks by our house. The thieving feathered pests were always on the lookout for food. I was always, as a child, having to fight them off when sitting on the rocks eating my lunch. Every once in a while one would time it just right, snatch my sandwich and — there went my lunch!

I got used to hearing them, paid them no mind, along with the constant sounds of wind and water. When I moved inland to the farm, it seemed so different as I learned a new set of sounds–wind in the trees, chirping of birds, sheep baa-ing and so forth.

Re the GULL RUCKUS… oh yes, they do raise one. Paul is bombarded every day he goes out on the boat by seagulls trying to dive-bomb down into his boat to snitch a piece of bait. Quite a few times they win, too. He has a running conversation with that group of thieves the whole day long!

9. Crochetlady says:

Well, someone(?) had to get something out of it all. Glad that it didn’t turn out worse. I can imagine the ruckus those gulls are making!

10. l'empress says:

First, I am really glad that the boat wasn’t damaged. After last summer, I have a greater fear of the powers of the water.

But look at those gulls. I guess it’s really an ill wind that doesn’t blow good for someone.