What’s the Buzz…Tell Me What’s Happening

Just a little informational blurb here to give you the buzz.

Actually, on a different note, the first time I ever used stereo headphones was in the very early 1970’s (could have been 1970 as I was only just married) at my ex-husband’s parents’ home. His Dad had a fabulous stereo system with quite an extensive collection of old record albums. They asked me to put the headphones on and listen… I never heard such a fabulous sound in my life. The rest of the world was erased (sound-wise anyway), I sat back in my father-in-law’s deep cushy chair and listed to the whole side of the album, Jesus Christ Superstar. Wow. I was speechless.

We went out and bought that album, and I must have played it non-stop for weeks. Long enough to know every song and to sing along with all the words.

So, “what’s the buzz”?

Well, it’s been an eventful week, for me anyway. On Wednesday my friend Mary (hi Mare!) came over to visit for a spell (that’s what they all say here in Salem…) and we each had a piece of The Cake. (Oh, BTW, that cake is history now). We had a nice couple of hours chatting about this and that.

On Thursday, we had the septic tank guy come over with his specialty guy who does scoping of pipes, and they put a snake up a pipe in the back lower garden area, where Paul had dug down to expose a broken pipe coming out of the septic system, and they got it unblocked and running free (P.U.), but now it’s back to the way it should work. I wasn’t directly involved in that operation. Like Paul said when I sat him down and asked “so what happened?” – “It’s a guy thing!”

Yeah. I’m glad of that.

Then, today we have the water meter man coming to install some new-fangled device on the water meter that will enable the City to read our meters from anywhere – even from the office I suppose. Remote reading. They won’t have to come to the actual house any more and traipse through people’s yards, (possibly stepping in poo, etc), so that will be a good thing. Our front yard area is like a land mine of poo etc. from the dogs). He hasn’t shown up yet, but he’s due here in about an hour. I’m alone here so I hope I don’t have to do any “guy” stuff.

Oh, the other big thing that happened this week. It came after several days of Paul not being able to go out lobstering, so the traps were on a long “soak,” as they say when they aren’t hauled up every day. About 3 or 4 days’ worth. But when Paul got home from lobstering the other day, after the long soak, he had gotten 105 lobsters!

That almost called for a celebration, but I’m waiting til the low-iodine-diet is over to make another cake. A hundred and five may not seem like an awful lot, but compared to the usual catch lately of under 10 lobsters, it’s massive.

I hope it continues.

I’m watching the men’s tennis semifinals right now – Federer vs. Djokovic. Don’t like either one of them so no rooting from this peanut gallery. Later, the Nadal vs. Ferrer match will be better, and I actually like both of those men, but will be rooting for my fave, Rafa Nadal. Go Rafa!

The women’s final is tomorrow morning. It’s Maria Sharapova vs. Sara Errani (Italy). Errani is an unexpected semifinalist. Never been in a major final. It’s been 4 years since Maria has won a major. So I’m rooting for her because she’s really worked hard to get here again after surgery. Go Maria! (But good work Sara for getting this far!)

So that’s the buzz.

Hey, tell me what’s happening at your end…

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Our entry to it is naked and bare;

Our journey through it is trouble and care;

Our exit from it is who-knows-where;

So if we’re all right here, we’re all right there.”

[Jack Rosenthal]

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”

[Anatole France]

“There are only two seasons – winter and baseball.”

[Bill Veeck]

ORGANIC COCONUT OIL INFORMATION

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

9 Responses to What’s the Buzz…Tell Me What’s Happening

TT: Actually,he does leave his traps on a 3-day soak usually. He will fish (haul) about 1/3rd of his traps one day, 1/3rd the next day, and the last 1/3rd the 3rd day. So they are usually on a 3-day soak, but it’s still early days in the season.

It doesn’t seem to matter how hot we are on the land, under the ocean they move to their own time schedule. The lobsters just “shed” recently and when they are shedding, they tend to stay put down on the bottom in their hidey-holes and not go looking for food. Now that the shedding has ended for the most part, I think their numbers will pick up.

Wow, if Paul got that kind of haul after leaving his traps in for a few days then maybe he ought to try doing that again every week or so, see if it happens again.

With the timing of late June – you know that our warm weather started early this year, so the lobsters should be coming closer to shore earlier, too.

In answer to a couple of questions:

– Beanie: Lobsters are his product. You need licenses and different boat set-ups to catch different kinds of fish. He does get whelks in his traps and sells them, but very few. I think they pay 10 cents/pound. The Asian community like the whelks but we’ve never tried them. They are like a big snail.

– Nina: Paul sells to a dealer mainly and on the weekends he sets up at the harbor and sells from his truck. His crate of “bugs” is right there in the water. So he has a nice little clientele of private customers who buy from him regularly, even all winter long, but he couldn’t rely on only them for the whole year. The public used to buy more “bugs” than they do now, what with the economy going into the tank. So he sells to a dealer here in Salem for most of his catch.

As for the boat, when I’d go out with him, he’d have his bait in a big barrel onboard, and the odors of that bait (dead gutted fish) along with the aroma of the gasoline (the boat never is shut down, it just goes all day) made for a nauseating combination and that would make me quite sick feeling a lot of times.

I’ve only gotten seasick from the up-and-down movement of a boat when I used to go sailing with my first husband in our 210 sailboat (“The Yankee Nomad”). It was a long thin, close-to-the-water boat and you could really feel the swell of the waves in that thing. This is a 210 International sailboat like ours was…a wooden beauty that we bought when we didn’t have any money but just wanted to sail…

Ours looked just like the blue one on the right:

What a sweet boat that was.

4. Nina says:

On the subject of lobsters — does Paul have one buyer or does he sell to many? And does he love being in a boat on rocky waters? Any hints to those whose stomachs heave every time a big wave comes along? 🙂

5. The rainy season is just starting in Korea. It’s a lot like a doubled-and-twisted rainy June in New England, except it lasts until late July, or, last year, until early September. Good for rice-growing and keeps the temps down, but gets tiresome.

We have hurricanes, too, but they call them “tyboons” here {no F sound in Korean, and P sounds more like B in the middle of a word}.

6. Beanie says:

Isn’t there other fish to catch in the off months? Anyway, I just wanted to say that I first used stereo headphones in the early 70’s but I first used them on classical music. Amazing! I hadn’t heard much classical before I’d moved out of my parents’ house, and it was a whole new world. With headphones, it was just amazing.

Dear Karen,

I guess if we knew the answer to your question, we’d be rich by now – having solved the age-old problem of where are all the lobsters? They go in spurts.

Usually the best time for catching them is around July/August through the end of October or November. It used to be that the lobstermen would only fish six months of the year. They’d have another type of job for the other six months, like driving oil trucks, etc., but then they all seemed to want to fish full time for a while. Paul used to do that. He’d pull his boat out in late fall for the winter, spend several months doing repairs to the boat (which back then was a hand-made wooden boat and required lots of maintenance work), as well as to his gear (buoys, ropes, traps, etc.) and that would pretty much take up the whole winter.

In the spring when the boat went back in the water, lobsters were scarce but would eventually pick up around end of June/early July. So we really aren’t there yet, however, Paul now basically fishes 12 months a year, of course he doesn’t get out every day in the dead of winter. He spends his time building new traps to replace lost or damaged traps, painting endless lobster buoys, sorting out all the ropes…etc. But when you don’t have another job to supplement the slow months, it gets pretty grim.

I really don’t think the lobsters are vanishing, however, I would like it if they would come forth and be caught – preferably by my husband!

8. Karen says:

Dear Bex,

Is there a reason the usual lobster haul is so low?

I live Midwest and would like to know.

Karen

9. l'empress says:

If you want to know what’s happening here, well, you have my URL. Nothing more exciting than my posts.