Testing results are in…

Kip 07/21/07

Greetings,

Am still waiting for my tea towels to arrive so haven’t made any progress on that project.

But the big thing around here is the result – namely the results of Paul’s thyroid cancer testing for this year.

(Just FYI – Paul had thyroid cancer and had his entire thyroid lobes removed several years ago and he has to get tested every 2 years to make sure there are no errant cancer cells floating around in his body.)

According to the doctor (endocrinologist) his iodine uptake scan was “fine.” She always calls on the evening he has the test done. I don’t know when she goes home to her husband and children because she’s forever working at night there. She is also a Marbleheader (where we both grew up) and she considers Paul a friend/patient and they get along swimmingly. He always calls her “Helen” when speaking about her to me.

Anyway, the scan was “fine.” Whew. When he was on the phone with her, we had been eating supper and I was sitting across the table watching his face for any sign of the news, good or bad. He scrunched his face all up into wrinkles and I got really scared. He had his eyes closed, too, which worried me. But that was all because she was telling him that he had to go get some blood drawn for this testing and the lab forgot to tell him that little fact. He had to get it done fairly quickly, too, because he still had the iodine drugs in his body and they needed to do it while that was going on. So this was all on Friday night (last) and he had to be at the lab by 7 a.m. on Saturday to get the blood drawn.

Anything that cuts into his day of lobstering he hates, but he finally agreed and got it done it the next morning.

He will get another call from Dr. K. (“Helen”) this week to make an appointment for him to come in and have a face-to-face chat about all things thyroid. She also told him that they will wait for 3 years before the next testing is done, which is better than the 2 years he’s been waiting before. The fewer times I have to go through that low-iodine diet, the better!

Now we are back to regular food. Actually, the food hasn’t been that different, just the way it is prepared mostly. The little things that make a meal an even yummier meal, like butter, cheese, milk, etc. – all those things have iodine and they were off the menu. I ordered two pizzas for supper on Friday night and I made tomato sauce and pasta for Saturday night, with cheese in it. Yum.

So that’s the buzz for now. We’re having very cool weather here, and sunny, which is just how I love it. But they are predicting some hot stuff here as the week goes along, up to 90’s and very very humid on Thursday. Thankfully, my A/C is installed upstairs and the one down here, which stays installed all year-round, will be helping me out too. I just feel bad for people, like Paul, who have to work outdoors when the weather gets that hot. At least he’s on the ocean – sometimes that’s a good thing (sea breezes) but sometimes you get a dead-wind day and it’s hot out there, as well.

Cheers for now,

Bex & Co.

Kip & Emma

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

“Until one has loved an animal, a part of one’s soul remains unawakened.”

[Anatole France]

“There are only two seasons – winter and baseball.”

[Bill Veeck]

ORGANIC COCONUT OIL INFORMATION

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

12 Responses to Testing results are in…

1. Crochetlady says:

I am glad Paul’s test came back negative. And the extension to 3 years is good news too!

2. What Wonderful news! So glad to hear that Paul got a clean bill of health. Best wishes to you both and your furkids, too. πŸ™‚ I don’t do well in the heat; sometimes I feel like the *wicked witch of the west*, “I’m Meltingggg!”

3. Michael says:

Thanks for sharing the good news! What a relief that you can stop worrying about Paul’s thyroid and start eating more normally — and for three years! Excellent.

4. sandy from iowa says:

Doing happy dance..so glad he is ok

5. Nina says:

Wonderful news! Three years of no tests is like a gift that keeps on giving. Super happy to hear this!

Now bake us — oh, excuse me, bake *yourselves* a fantastic cake and then tell us about it!

So glad to hear that Paul’s tests were negative! Now, back to the more interesting foods. πŸ™‚

Hi Everyone… Kate, where are you located? In CA? I know the middle of the country has had a lot of heat but that is way too hot… it seems every summer is getting worse all across the country, too. Hmmmm… global warming?

As for Paul and the water, it’s SALT water…you don’t want that on your skin and then drying, not a good idea. He brings water in a bottle and has that and his lunch while he is out there. And no he does not jump overboard to cool off. Paul doesn’t hate the heat as much as I do, thankfully. I don’t know how he does it all summer outside.

I don’t know how to explain the increase in thyroid problems except that radiation plays a role. Paul has spent his entire life in the sun and I’m sure that contributed because otherwise he is the healthiest person I know. I think the sun has done more damage to more people than we would believe.

8. K8 says:

Good news! Yay!

And count your blessings that you are there & not here. We have just come off a streak of very high 90s – triple digit days. Today is cool in the low 90s, & it’s going right back up to unbearable starting tomorrow! I hate summer here — always longing for it to be fall or winter, when the temps are bearable!

9. Betty Lou says:

I’m happy for the two of you that Paul’s tests are “fine”, and I’m sure the blood tests will be, too.

10. Carol says:

So glad for the good news. I wandered if Paul ever gets in the water to cool off?

One of those times when a negative report is a good report. So if the doctor says can wait 3 years this time, she must be very optimimstic that he has made a full recovery. Cured. Wonderful!

When Paul is out lobstering, does he ever splash water on himself to cool down?

12. Smartiplants says:

Good news about the test report for Paul’s thyroid cancer. A big relief to be sure! It seems odd to me that I used to never hear of anyone with thyroid cancer and now it seems more common. Maybe it just seems that way? I don’t know but in the past few years I seem to hear of more cases of it. I am envying you that cool weather, but hope it doesn’t get too hot on Paul later in the week. Take care!