Treading Water…

I always like to offer something to you when I write an entry, like photographs or something tangible or visual, of something that is actually happening to me/us here. But I don’t have that right now. Nothing to offer. I have things going on in my head but a lot of those thoughts are negative – complaints of one thing and another – and you don’t want negativity, do you?

Weather has been dominating our landscape here this past week. It bothers me when it gets in the high 90’s or 100 degrees, and the humidity, I just clamp up, hole up in the house, and vegetate until the Weather Gods decide to be kind and send some cooler air our way.

Well, cooler air has arrived today. Yesterday we had storms to the left of us, lightning to the right of us, rain from above us, flooding all around us, trees felled by wind/lightning nearby and far, and all the while the hot humid air oppressing us. Flattening us up against our lives… how do the ballplayers play ball in this weather?

We survived all of the above with no damage. No floods here, no trees felled on our property, oh, but we did lose power… my worst nightmare. I am so connected by way of power to the world that when it’s gone, I am lost. At 2 p.m. yesterday, during one of the scariest storms I’ve gone thru (and the dogs and I were all gathered in the basement thru this), Paul was out lobstering which makes me mad-crazy-worried for fear of him getting zapped by lightning. It was hot. There was no power, no TV, no internet, no lights (and it was dark as night in the middle of the afternoon!), the dogs and I were in the dark basement, sitting in my old recliner that I never quite got rid of, thankfully! Waiting. Finally, when a little more light seemed to be coming in thru the basement windows, and the rumble of thunder off in the distance seemed a bit farther away, we ventured upstairs to a hot house. I am spoiled. I hate heat and I will do almost anything to NOT be hot. My two A/C units run almost constantly in this weather.

Paul pays the electric bill.

Today is the first day in a long time I’ve not turned on one A/C unit. I’ve opened all the windows, and my house has some fresh air inside now. Ahhhh…..

See? I just complain. Sorry. I have so much to be thankful for, or “for which to be thankful” rather.

No photos today. I have some new things I want to address here, like a new book that came in the post yesterday. The Concord Quartet: Alcott, Emerson, Hawthorne, Thoreau, And The Friendship That Freed The American Mind.”

You might remember that Nathaniel Hawthorne is my cousin. I have quite a few books by and about him here, but this one has escaped me until now. I’m going to open it up now and get stuck in, so until next time, and possibly more photos and a brighter mood, I will say to you…

Oh heck, here’s one photo I found and scanned the other day.

This is Paul and me, sitting on my sofa in my apartment in Salem before we were married, just after we’d gotten engaged. I was probably the happiest woman on the face of this Earth at that particular time. Now, 26 years later, I still feel the same about us/him. Happy-happy.

“What we ardently love, we learn to imitate.”

~ R. Waldo Emerson ~

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

8 Responses to Treading Water…

They always say that lightning will strike the tallest structure so I figure a boat on the water is the tallest structure if it’s just sitting out there all alone, and this is why I panic whenever Paul is out in a lightning storm. Why can’t someone find a way to do away with these things?

2. Nina says:

Ed is a sailor and has been on the ocean through storms and he tells me that of all dangers — those from lightening strikes are the least of his concerns. When we hike and get caught in storms, he reminds me of the statistics (lightening striking humans is so rare that your odds are somewhere down there with winning a million).

And yet, being outdoors in a storm terrifies me. It’s not rational, I know the odds and still, I hate it and would do anything to find shelter. So I share your fears. Even though — to reassure you, chances are in Paul’s favor.

Oh I can believe the worry you must go through when P is out lobstering. I do know from camping in the Rockies, never be under or near a tree during a thunder storm as the lightning hits the tallest thing around. I liked Carol’s idea of the battery-powered fans and the solar lights. Of course, there is always a gasoline-powered generator. I’m just glad you all are safe.

I’m thinking that it would be safer on the ocean to be on a boat that has a cabin during a lightning storm, rather than in the water.

If you’re in the water, all the lightning has to do is hit the water and unless you’re real far away the electric current will get you.

Yep. Per the NWS:

The vast majority of lightning injuries and deaths on boats occur on small boats with NO cabin. It is crucial to listen to weather information when you are boating. If thunderstorms are forecast, do not go out. If you are out on the water and skies are threatening, get back to land and find a safe building or safe vehicle.

Boats with cabins offer a safer, but not perfect, environment. Safety is increased further if the boat has a properly installed lightning protection system. If you are inside the cabin, stay away from metal and all electrical components. STAY OFF THE RADIO UNLESS IT IS AN EMERGENCY!

If you are caught in a thunderstorm on a small boat, drop anchor and get as low as possible. Large boats with cabins, especially those with lightning protection systems properly installed, or metal marine vessels are relatively safe. Remember to stay inside the cabin and away from any metal surfaces.

So do I, Betty Lou. Yes, Carol, great ideas, thanks. I will definitely look into both things.

Rhu, oh yes yes yes! The worst place to be is on the ocean in a lightning storm! This isn’t the first one I’ve worried myself sick through and I’m sure it won’t be the last. I am married to a guy who thinks he is invincible… which of course he isn’t, and I cannot convince him to do anything differently. He is a stubborn New England Yankee and will change his ways for no one. Hrmph!

6. Betty Lou says:

I’m so glad everything is O.K. now. I think Carol posted a couple of good ideas.

7. Carol says:

One thing people learned here without electricity for over a week after our storm is to invest in battery powered fans that can be found in the camping dept. of stores. That and solar powered lights that you can bring in at night for lighting. Just have to remember to put them back outside the next day to charge them again.

Personally, I think it’s very dangerous to be out on the open water in a lightning/thunderstorm. But if there are tall trees or buildings fairly nearby–or a lighthouse–then that’s not so bad. The one time I got caught that way in a storm, I dived off the boat and swam for shore. Retrieved the boat later in the day when the danger had passed and it was only raining. Gosh, no wonder you worry!

Glad everyone is now safe and sound.