Playing for the Money, Honey

I have to say one thing about the Olympics.

I don’t know the intricate rules and regulations, but I was always under the impression that Olympians were not professionals.

That said, I hereby vote (as IF I even HAVE a vote!) that the Olympics held every four years should NOT INCLUDE ANY PROFESSIONAL SPORTSPEOPLE.

Period.

I’m sitting here watching Olympics tennis. Now who do you suppose the lady is who is whipping the pants (or skirts) off all of her opponents? Yep. Serina-billionnaire-Williams. I might as well be watching a regular tennis grand slam and not something special like the Olympics.

Amateurs. This should be for previously unpaid amateurs who go out and excel in their sports because of the pure passion in their souls.

Tennis has been the only event I’ve watched because I like tennis, but I am turning it off right now, as Serina is up 5-1 against Victoria Azarenka, both of whom have made a lot of money in this sport.

I don’t like it.

And I want it to change.

Who’s with me?

(Anyone against me?)

Let’s hear your arguments, for or against.

(I have another entry to make soon. Just took pictures and will be posting them soon. This is just a random rant entry… I need to vent!)

Grrr…

Cheers for Amateur Olympics,

“What we ardently love, we learn to imitate.”

~ R. Waldo Emerson ~

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

8 Responses to Playing for the Money, Honey

Personally, I don’t feel it is fair to include “professional sports people” to make your team a better team. It should be left up to the amateurs. Geesh, they go after them if they use roids. What’s the difference?

I know all this stuff. How it used to be amateur Olympics until the various countries starting cheating all over the place. And I realize that in the real world, it has to be this way. But I was just expressing how I wish it could be, given a perfect world. To me the Olympics is something apart from a sporting event. I am a dreamer sometimes (a lot of times) and I was just dreaming here. I know the reality of it makes it is what it is. Sport for money. It always boils down to the money. I guess the one consolation is that we get to witness out-of-the-ordinary sports being played such as the judo (which, by the way, just awarded a Gold Medal to a young lady, Kayla Harrison from Marblehead, my home town next door to Salem!). Paul chuckled when he saw that headline and said that her boyfriends just better mind their P’s and Q’s with her!

3. Michael says:

Yes, the Olympics have included professionals for many years now. Each sport or discipline makes up its own rules for qualifying, but the way they used to police it to try to keep professionals out turned out to involve so much red tape (and cheating, of course, as well as informing on opponents), that it wasn’t worth keeping it that way. Athletes would lose their amateur status and be banned if their name was associated with a product endorsement, even if they weren’t compensated. It was very high handed way to run a sporting event.

I personally have no problem watching the best athletes, professional or amateur, competing for medals.

I could be wrong but I believe the rules were changed for the last Summer Olympic Games.

As to compensation, I was reading on Yahoo News that (I’m pretty sure it was) the Olympic Committee that gives a cash prize of $75,000 for a Gold medal. I did NOT like the fact that in the US they’re charged taxes on that money. Nor do I like the fact that they’re also taxed on the MEDAL. That’s right, apparently due to the precious metal contents of the medals, the people from the US who get medals are taxed because they bring those medals home!

5. Ericmayer says:

l’empress is right. At some point, I forget when, the rules were changed, out of fairness to many of the athletes. One reason the American hockey victory over the Russians years was so amazing, and satisfying, was because it was literally our amateurs against their professionals.

I prefer that professionalism is allowed. For one thing why should the television networks etc make money off of athletes who are working for free. (like colleges make money off football and basketball players)

For another thing, the Olympics is supposed to be about the best athletes in the world, and you can’t get to be the best in the world at anything doing it part time.

6. l'empress says:

They were supposed to be for amateurs only. And while the various national committees, like the U.S., held our athletes to that rule and even took away Jim Thorpe’s medal, other countries — the USSR in particular — paid all their athletes to live in comfort and train for the glory of Mother Russia.

Tennis is not my game; I do like basketball. And I don’t mind a bit that our players are professional. They are good, and they have to forget their home teams while they play for Team USA.

Now don’t quote me here, but I heard on the radio recently that Olympians who bring home medals do, indeed, get compensated by their governments, and they also get taxed! There is a bill being proposed right now in Washington, I think, that will eliminate all taxes on Olympics income/winnings. I’m not sure I like that idea. You get taxed on lottery winnings… and everything else – if you are a normal regular person, that is, and not a bazillionnaire like some mitt-wits I know… speaking of which, did you know that Mrs. Mitt-Wit owns a horse who is in the Olympics right now and that they got to write off a total of $77,000 for the expense of keeping that horse on their taxes… as an expense? Business expense??? What? Just what business are they in? (Oh don’t get me going…)

I’m shocked. I thought the Olympic games were for amateurs. So now they include professionals and cover it up by saying, well, they’re not being paid? Oh, yeah? And what about all the endorsements and publicity? Bah, humbug!