Trying to stay cool in a hot situation

Not much of a photograph but it’s all I’ve got. Looking out the bedroom window onto the roof, showing one piece of our new gutter with the “Leaf Relief” piece overtop it. This is supposed to keep all leaves and debris out of the gutters and keep them flowing along when it rains. We’ll see.

Gutter0004

Our electric meter is attached to the corner of the house, which is seriously deteriorated and in need of replacement. Also, the electrician came out and took a peek and said that the meter box needs to be replaced, as well. So all this carpentry and electricial work was supposed to be today, a Friday, but since it can’t be done in the rain, and the weatherpeople around here promised us that today would be raining all day, I cancelled this appointment and rescheduled for Monday.

Of course, today it is clear, sunny, and fine outside, albeit hot as usual. Now it will probably rain on Monday since they are predicting sun for that day.

I wish weatherpeople could be held responsible for lost time and lost revenue when people make plans based on their forecasts and then have to change them at the last minute.

But nobody wants any responsibility anymore.

Paul got our electric bill the other day and told me that he hoped I was comfortable in our little house this summer (keeping cool while the world outside simmers) because it was the highest amount of electricity usage for one month we have ever had in all the years we have lived here. I said, yes, thank you, I was comfortable in my cooled-off house. I am not practicing green energy efficiency here, I just want to be cool. I don’t do well in heat and humidity and we have had those two little items in overabundance this summer.

The dogs also like to be cool. They told me so.

So it’s Paul who pays the electric bill but he’s outside on the ocean working all day in the heat and sun and humidity and has to pay for the three of us to be home here and cool. It’s not fair, is it? For him anyway.

For me, I am keeping my mouth shut, being grateful for the comforts I do have here, and just trying to make it through each day with as little kerfluffle as possible. (Is that how you spell that word?)

The only thing about this electric meter job is that the power will need to be turned off here, and I don’t know for how long. That will be a problem for me. A big problem. I went to use my car the other day (it sits out in the sun day after day and isn’t used much anymore), and the air-conditioner in the car didn’t work anymore. I don’t know when that went on the blink, but I wasn’t any too happy since I had to drive for over an hour to go to where Paul had locked himself out of his truck, with his spare key in hand, to get him back into the truck at his folks’ place. It’s only 8 miles away but with the incredible traffic in this area, it took me over one hour to drive there and back, with no A/C in the car.

Complain complain.

Today I am in cool comfort here and am thinking about making Paul some molasses ginger cookies. Yes. That’s up next on the agenda.

Bye for now. One last parting shot of the rooftops looking out the bedroom window:

Gutter0009

“It’s in every one of us, to be wise.

Find your heart, open up both your eyes.

We can all know everything, without ever knowing why…

It’s in every one of us, by and bye.”

~ John Denver, “A Christmas Wish” ~

“What we ardently love, we learn to imitate.”

“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.”

~ R. Waldo Emerson ~

“Every hour you spend fishing adds an hour to your life.”

from “Paradise” (Don Johnson)

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

12 Responses to Trying to stay cool in a hot situation

I could have predicted a bad winter, TT. My oak tree is a true-blue weather-tree. On years when I get tons of acorns, the winter is bad. On years when hardly any acorns fall, the winter is mild. Last summer/fall, hardly any, if ANY, acorns fell. The winter was nonexistent. This year they have already begun and fall every day, kerplunk! I know this will be a doozy of a winter.

Thought you’d find this interesting, Bex:

Yes, even while air conditioners are still running, meteorologists are beginning to focus on the long-term winter weather forecast. And, it looks as if the I-95-corridor cities from Washington to Boston will need to make sure the plows are gassed up and rock salt plentiful.

�I think the East Coast is going to have some battles with some big storms,� says Paul Pastelok, Accu-Weather�s lead long-term forecaster in State College, Pa.

Except for physical damage, by heavy rain trampling down plants, I’ve never had a problem with plants and rainwater off our roof.

Yes, TT, you are right, I was getting the two “a” words mixed up…asphalt… yes. But it was Mz. Em who wanted to know and I don’t know how old her roof is. But I still don’t think rain coming off the roof would damage a plant, do you?

Bex, if your shingles were put on after 1980, I don’t think they’d contain asbestos any more. Asbestos was banned in the 70s and replaced with asphalt shingles, tar paper with a ‘stone’ aggregate on top of it.

6. t.s. says:

I wouldn’t do well in that heat and humidity either. Summers on the northern California coast, well, all the way to the Canadian border, consist mainly of cool fog.

Em, a lot of roof shingles are asbestos, and I’m not sure but that doesn’t sound like a good additive to the water, but then if water made the asbestos come off and down to the ground, it wouldn’t be good for lawn plants, so they probably have it worked out so it’s OK.

As for going somewhere while they change my meter, no-can-do. I have two big dogs who need to be cool too and I would never leave them alone here without me in the heat while men pounded on their house. That would be way too cruel. So if we suffer, we suffer here together. I don’t expect the job to take a long time, they just have to replace the corner board and fascia board on that section, 2 pieces of wood, and pop the new meter back on and attach the wires. How could that take all day? I will inform them that it had better not…don’t worry!

Most of the houses I lived in had gutters until I moved to California. Ever since gutters have never been an issue. Although I have one hanging plant out front and I wonder about the water coming off the roof into the pot. Is that water good for the plant. I have no idea what the shingles on the roof are made of.

I have installed the leaf relief also, and for me it really does work. You may find that some pine needles work their way in, but deciduous tree leaves are definitely kept out.

Much, much, easier to maintain!

I recommend that right now you scope out places you can go while your electric meter is being changed out–places that have a/c.

My schedule was similar to this one:
    6 a.m.-9 a.m. Starbuck’s
    9 a.m.-11:30 a.m. library
    11:30 a.m.-1 p.m. El Taco Loco (little Mexican place) for lunch
    1 p.m.-3:30 p.m. library or a senior citizen movie for $4.50.
    3:30-6:00 p.m. I did volunteer work in a/c church office or went back to the library, which closes at 6.

By 6 p.m., it was usually cool enough that I could bear returning home, take a shower, sit in front of a fan.

Not fun, but for a short time, hey it was do-able.

Some of our neighbors don’t have any gutters. It all depends on how the water comes off your roof and whether or not it goes down the side of your house and foundation and erodes that foundation. If so, you need the gutters. Some homes have a roof that overhangs the side of the house, but ours doesn’t at all. Water was cascading down the two sides of our house in sheets and deteriorating all the wood trim. So we need them.

DH just said the other day that he wants to remove the gutters from our home. We have a gambrel roof, so that’s quite possible. Actually, in a neighborhood of multiple gambrel-roofed homes, we’re one of only 2 homes that has gutters.

12. l'empress says:

I love the idea of the gutter covers, but I can’t afford them now. I will have to pay someone to clear my gutters before that stuff puts down roots.

I think as we grow older, the heat bothers us more. I can remember hot weather when I just managed, including the summer or 1969 and again in 1972. (I was pregnant those summers, and the heat still didn’t bother me as much as it does now. Or maybe I’m just spoiled because I have a cool room.