I humbly apologize…

I have just come up for air.

My friend Sandy first introduced me to Pinterest about a week ago. OMG. Now I am well into it, too, here. Now I see that my friend, Emily (Mz. Em) has begun some boards there. What have we done?

This is the craziest craze I have ever been a part of yet. It’s worse than overeating. It’s worse than binge drinking. It’s worse than getting high (oh yes, in my varied and colorful life I have done all three). “Pinning” as it’s called is kind of like hoarding, I guess. It’s for the obsessive-compulsive personality. For people who just want to acquire more and more and feel so guilty when they acquiesce to this urge.

They’ve done TV shows about hoarders and O/C personalities. We all feel so sorry for them but, in reality, they are us! Or is it “We are them?” Whatever, the gene to hoard lurks in most of us. Even my Paul, who likes things spare and clean and bare looking, admits he can get sucked into hoarding, but he has the brains to recognize it when it happens to him and will yank himself out of the situation before it takes over.

But with “pinning” it’s all “out there” on the internet. It’s not cluttering up my house. I am not tripping over my many boards and my many, many pins. All the recipes I am collecting there are not taking up my counterspace in the kitchen, like my real cookbooks are. My collection of favorite music in my Music That Rocks My World board is there for me to click on any time, to hear a song or watch a video of my favorite musicians, and then there’s my Movies That Move Me board… I could replay the Pride and Prejudice scene of Colin Firth proposing to Jennifer Ehle over and over and never get sick of it, oh be still my heart.

That said, here is a positive outcome of one woman’s involvement in Pinterest and her thoughts about how it can be used, or not used, as the case may be.

Enough. I need to get back to it. No, I need to get some food, I have only had one cup of coffee today and the clock says high noon. I need sustenance.

I have a link to my Pinterest boards in the links section of this blog as well as at the bottom, if you want to come by for a visit. If you get addicted, like we three have, I can’t take responsibility because I have just recounted to you what this is doing to me, however, I don’t regret it. I am having fun with it and as long as my internet connection holds together here, I will continue pinning.

There are so many things I haven’t been doing, however, and I need to get my act together.

“What we ardently love, we learn to imitate.”

“Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience.”

~ R. Waldo Emerson ~

“Every hour you spend fishing adds an hour to your life.”

from “Paradise” (Don Johnson)

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

12 Responses to I humbly apologize…

Ah yes, I am captured by the big P! But after reading TT’s comment about “P owning what is placed on one’s boards is the property of P . . .” I may take down my personal stuff. I agree with Bex, though, at least it is not cluttering my home. That said, it does take up my time. I’m twisted whether to stay or go. Hmm, that sounds like it could be words to a song.

There are restrictions on the sizes he can catch and he can’t take a pregnant lobster or one with eggs. And if there is a notch on the tail he has to throw that back, but as for the # he can catch, no limit here in Mass. I believe Maine may have more limits than we have here.

3. Nina says:

Oh! I thought he had some quiet months! Are there restrictions on what he can haul in during certain seasons? Super fascinating stuff…

Nina – Paul’s season never ends. I don’t know about “down Maine” but you should be able to get a nice fresh lobster any time of the year. Paul fishes 12 months a year, weather-permitting. Even in the dead of our winters, if the wind is not too bad, he will go out. He’s a hardy soul…

But the lobsters go off to other places where they are shipped to wherever they are needed, restaurants all over the world.

5. Nina says:

Bex, I have an unrelated Q: how long into the fall season does Paul go out for lobsters? In other words, when (more or less) does the fresh lobster season end? I’m going to be out in Maine late October and I was wondering if that puts me past the time when I can have myself a wonderful lobster roll!

You know what? The best part about Pinterest for me has been finding fabulous recipes and even more fabulous tips for doing things. Like how to separate an egg using a pop bottle. There are thousands and thousands of those things and I love that aspect of it.

I was in it for a shortwhile and would once in a while put up one of my designs on it. Then I found out that they have (or use to have) a paragraph in their Terms of Use that says they own anything you pin.

I think for most folks that would be okay, but I’m not going to be pinning any of my designs on there.

Now I’d just rather look. There can be some pretty and tasty things on Pinterest.

8. Neva Williams says:

lol! enjoy ladies. That is exactly why I told Sandy I won’t get into it, but it does look like fun for many. No harm done. 🙂

9. sandy from iowa says:

This is far better than other things we could be doing Bex…lordy..it was a week today and i am way over a 1000 pins.
    I do enjoy the music..I plug in earphones to get good sound from the computer

10. ~ Sil in Corea says:

Oh, my soul! I heard about Pinterest when my cousin’s wife got into it, and I avoided it. I have too many bad habits and things eating up my time already, heheheh! Facebook, chat room, journals, newsletters and games!

Don’t feel bad, sweet Sandy. I am enjoying it. Hey, I don’t snack and consume calories while I am happily pinning the morning away. Now the mail truck just went by, and I need to get up and get the mail. (((hugs)))

12. sandy from iowa says:

hahaha..SO SORRY to have pulled you into this …but your journal said it all..it is NOT taking up space in the house:-)