Just Say “No”

Enough about politics. At least Presidential politics.

(Can’t wait to see what the “Big, big news” is going to be tomorrow at noon from “The Donald”).

Onto another one of my pet peeves which is Wal-Mart.

I do not shop there. I can’t say that I’ve never shopped there because I have. But that was before I “saw the light.” Rather, I heard the light, or should that be “the voice?” Whatever, it was before I became aware of the realities in the world concerning the practices of this unfeeling conglomerate. Today I’ve been watching a 90 minute show called “Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price” and I wondered if there were some way to share it with my friends out there in blog-land. And there was. And here it is:

For all the reasons put forth in this film, I don’t now, nor will I ever again, shop at Wal-Mart. They don’t really care about me, especially as I don’t have much money anyway, but there are a lot of little “me’s” out there who, with the appropriate information at hand, might decide to do the same.

I realize that some of my friends swear by Wal-Mart. I’ve tried convincing them to let go of that place but they don’t seem to want to do it. So all I can do is provide some information and hope that when the reality about this horrible company is realized, they will think twice before shopping there again.

Sometimes you don’t think that one little (or big as the case may be) person can make any difference at all, but when one joins with another, and they join with several, and more and more people see what’s really going down in the name of cheap products, and not even “made in the USA” either, well, I can only hope that we might make a difference.

I know 90 minutes is a long time to sit and watch something, especially something like this with unhappy content like this show, but if you find yourself, at some point in your day or week, with a little time to spare, take a look at it. Save it for later. Maybe put yourselves in the places of the people in this show whose lives were utterly destroyed by this company.

Say “NO!” to Wal-Mart

That’s all I have to say about it. Thanks for reading this far!

(At least this subject has taken my mind off The Debate! Two more weeks to go until this interminable election will be over. I wonder how long the media will wait to start in on the next election?)

2 0 1 2

Re-Elect Obama~Biden

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

9 Responses to Just Say “No”

1. t.s. says:

WalMart was banned from our county by local initiative. I seldom shop there anyhow, but when traveling this summer I slept in WalMart parking lots in my camper. It’s the only plus thing I can think of…

Remember when I said I couldn’t wait to hear what “Big news” The Donald (Trump) was going to issue today around noon?

I just heard what it is.

He is saying that if Obama releases his college transcripts and applications and also his passport data and applications, then The Donald will donate $5 million to a charity of Obama’s choice.

Now that is a sneaky challenge.

Wow. I didn’t expect so many of you to be on “my” side of this subject, although I suppose the reason you are on my subscribe list is that we are some kind of kindred spirits. When I put up these kinds of entries, I tell Paul “I know I’m kind of preaching to the choir here…” but thanks for all your comments and contributions.

I also realize that in some areas, a Wal-Mart store is the only game in town, so to speak, and I don’t know if I’d be as true to my own convictions if there were no other place to shop. I’m lucky we live in a metropolitan area where we are inundated with competing “big box stores” like WallyWorld including Target. I wonder what the back story on Target is? Anyone ever investigate that?

4. I haven’t actually shopped (**see below) at warmart since the late 1970s, when I realized what they were doing to the small independent shops. They treat their workers like dirt and have driven many of their American suppliers into bankruptcy.

**I was dragged into a Korean version of their store one time only in 2001 by my boss. WalMart has since left South Korea because a local chain undercut them, and had deep enough pockets to do it long enough to win.

5. Reenie says:

I’d never been in a Wal*Mart before I moved to the mountain. At the towns at the two bases of my mountain there are Wal*Marts that kinda-sorta hold us hostage because there is no place else to shop – and this, I imagine, is because they’ve stomped the small town competition out of business. The one grocery store on the mountain is dreadful – really, really dreadful with rotted produce etc and it’s pricey because it’s the only grocery store. Yet, I shop there and pay a lot for crummy overpriced stuff because it doesn’t make sense to drive 45 minutes down a mountain to shop at gawd-awful Wal*Mart to feel *dirty* as observed in another comment. Wal*Mart is just downright depressing. I must confess I miss civilized grocery stores – otherwise, the mountain is divine.

Regarding politics? Count me out. Sick of the whole ugly mess.

I used to shop at our local Wal-Mart back, oh, more than 10 years ago, and I can remember they were the only place I could find my style of elastic waist jeans that fit perfectly and comfortably. But now that the internet has taken over our lives, I can find all the same clothes online with a little looking around. So kiss my grits, Wal-Mart!

I’ll be glad when Target opens up around here (early 2013). It’ll be nice to have an alternative to Walmart.

I’ll be very glad to get on our cruise, away from all the election hype – and it’s not even that bad here, since I’m living in Canada now.

8. l'empress says:

On general principles, I don’t shop there (even though one opened up fairly nearby). I feel “dirty” if I go in.

But I used to find myself there when I needed special sizes for my husband. (I guess more fat people shop there?) And once because I could not find what I needed anywhere else, not even online.

But I think they do a disservice to us all.

I certainly agree with you about not shopping at Wal-Mart. Good post!