This will be my Hurricane Sandy Update Page. I will “update” just this page as I can throughout this storm. So if you are wondering what’s happening here at Crow Cottage, just keep checking back here to see if there have been any new updates.
(I’ll update most recent date/time at the top so you don’t have to scroll down looking for new ones).
Monday (still), 29 OCT 2012 – 3:45 p.m.
Power went out at around 2:00 p.m. EST and came back on at 3:30. I was very nervous. They were saying it might be days before the repair crews could repair lines.
The wind is at its worst now. Probably 60-80 mph in gusts. We lost a big tree in the woods behind our house. It fell into our neighbor’s garden and on their fence and canoe. I am praying all the rest of our trees stay up. That tree was not on our property.
I hear sirens all over town. The gusts are horrible. One is going on now. It feels like we will be scooped up into the sky and dropped who-knows-where.
Better get this saved before power goes out again.
Monday, 29 OCT 2012 – 10:00 a.m.
Here is the site with the webcam at the Corinthian Yacht Club on the Neck side of Marblehead Harbor – this one is looking north to the mouth of the harbor (it updates every several seconds or so):
And here is looking south down to the back end of the harbor (which is out of view) where Paul has his boat moored (you can’t see where his boat is from this view but it’s off to the left way down-harbor):
I can keep checking these to see the ocean as the day goes along, but I wish there were a webcam pointed at Paul’s boat!
One more, at the Eastern Yacht Club, about mid-way down-harbor on The Neck looking across to the Town of Marblehead, they have a couple of click-on web cams you can look at:
I have taken a hot shower, had the heat up for a while, washed my hair and dried it, and the dishwasher is now running a full load (Paul’s job, he forgot to do it!). We are trying to get all tasks that require electric power done before it goes out.
That’s all for now. Back later (if possible).
Monday, 29 OCT 2012 – 7:45 a.m.
First, let me say congratulations to the San Francisco GIANTS for winning the baseball World Series yesterday. Wow, a clean 4-game sweep of the Detroit Tigers. I’ll bet my friend Michael (Bunt Sign) is a very happy camper today!)
~ ~ ~
We made it thru the night but the storm is just getting started…very early days yet. However, it’s gotten considerably windier. Trees are bending over in the gusts that look to be about 35-40 mph or more. They keep saying that by midnight tonight we may all have lost our power. Not looking forward to life-without-power. I have turned the heat up now to get the house reasonably warm. They said to turn the fridge temp down so I did that very slightly (colder so it takes longer for things to spoil with no power). I dread losing everything in the freezer as it’s full right now.
Paul was not here when I got up at 7:30. He may be either in Peabody doing a final clean-out of his folks’ apartment (which I doubt because all he has left are mattresses and box springs), or he’s over in Marblehead out at the beach checking on his boat. It’s moored way down-harbor, near Riverhead beach, in the center which, he tells me, is the “safest spot in the harbor” in a nor’easter. Let’s hope he’s right!
Signing off for now. Will check back in, if I can, in another 6+ hours.
Monday, 29 OCT 2012 – 2:22 a.m.
I can’t sleep, natch. I got up because my legs hurt. And to see where the ‘cane is situated. It’s getting windier here slowly.
Nina, no we will not have heat if we lose power. Paul is an Eagle Scout (or “was” one anyway – are you one for life I wonder?) but as far as taking care of things, he needs prodding. If it’s not related to his boat and business, I have to think of everything. I can’t do much and I sure hope we don’t have to run for it because I can barely walk let alone run. I keep thinking that if I pray real hard, this darn storm will blow away.
I keep hearing branches falling off the massive oak tree onto my roof. And the storm hasn’t even hit land yet.
See the oak tree to the right of the corner of the house? I hope that thing stays put!
I would not like to be on Nantucket or Martha’s Vineyard this week.
Signing off again. It will be interesting to see how we get the dogs to do their “business” whilst a hurricane is going on outside!
Sunday, 28 OCT 2012 – 1:35 p.m.
First half of the day has come and gone uneventfully. We’ve had a tiny bit of drizzle but actually I just noticed that it’s brightening up outside. Been dark all morning. A little breezy but nothing out of the ordinary for this time of year. Storm is still a ways off down the coast.
Paul did come home from a clean-out of his folks’ place today with a bunch of things he wanted to run by me for keepers or tossers. Besides some boring things like sheets and bedclothes (new), he brought a pretty wooden knick-knack shelf with 3 little drawers across the bottom. I need to clean it up and polish it and it’ll probably be going up on the wall over my large bookcase in the living room. Once that has happened, I’ll take the usual photos, etc. But for now, we are in waiting-for-the-storm mode. Paul has just left to go down to the harbor to sell his lobsters for the afternoon.
Sunday, 28 OCT 2012 – 8:30 a.m.
Paul has just come back from cleaning out his folks’ apartment (see previous entry for more on that story), and he is off now to go out to his lobster boat and move it down-harbor to a mooring that belongs to his cousin who runs a boatyard there, approximately in the middle part of the harbor. Paul’s mooring is out at the very mouth of the harbor, and for a Nor’Easter, this is right where the winds come barreling in. So he will move his boat down to this other mooring and pray for the best.
Here’s a photo of Paul’s boat out on the mooring and his rowboat in the cove. Both of these boats need to get out of harm’s way for this storm as you can see the mouth of the harbor is to the left in this photo. (Photo by Katy Elliot):
And here’s another photo showing Paul’s boat (blue hull) in a wilder situation! (Photo by Wednesdays In Marblehead):
He plans to try to get his rowboat up onto the bed of his truck (I would have gone with him to help but my back, knees, hips, etc., are all screaming in pain with all this crazy weather this weekend) so I’m hoping he can get it up onto his truck by himself. Maybe someone will be down there who could assist him.
I’ve got weather channels, local channels, and CNN etc. on TV checking things as they progress. It’s already starting to get windier here and will build as the day goes on.
See you at my next update!
Bex & Co.
2 0 1 2