It’s a new day…

It’s the middle of the night/morning here, 1:22 a.m. to be precise. And, as usual, I am awake. Took some melatonin and going back to try for sleep again.

The storm of the century (“Sandy”) was one for the books. It was the worst thing I’ve ever experienced, with the possible exception of our Blizzard of ’78. That was in February, my father died whilst shoveling snow in that storm, and we had snow piled up the height of 2 stories all over town. We had the National Guard picking people up and taking them to work. I stayed home for a week and only worked at a hospital down the street! My front windows blew into my tiny 2 room apartment. That was really the worst one.

With Hurricane Sandy, we only got rain and lots and lots of wind here. Some people got 2 or more feet of snow.

A tree cracked and fell over behind our house in the woods, but it fell onto our neighbor’s garden area. All the trees on our property seem to have survived. But a nest of squirrels way up in a tree in the woods fell down and I don’t know what happened to them.

treedown0004

Tree that fell in the woods behind the house into the neighboring garden.

I’ve never seen wind that wild before. I can only imagine what they are waking up to down in the NY and NJ area.

I want to thank you all, every last one of you, dear readers for caring enough to leave comments in my previous update page.

Now the big question remains – does Paul still have a lobster boat and a row boat today?

He could not get over there to check yesterday, so later this morning we shall find out. Personally, I don’t know how they could have survived. His row boat he put up on a float in Marblehead harbor. I just can’t see it staying put through what we had. And we have no idea how “Bollocks!” made out. I’ll let you know.

UPDATE REPORT: Boats “seem” fine from a look-see from the land. Paul can usually tell whether or not something is amiss by the way the boat rides on the water. He says they are both “fine.” Yay.

Good thing I got Paul signed up with Social Security already!

Bex&PaulB4Married

Ta ra and Cheers,

Bex & Co.

2 0 1 2

Re-Elect Obama~Biden

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

17 Responses to It’s a new day…

Thank you, Neva. We are all OK. Paul hasn’t tallied up the lost traps yet but he found about 9 of them on a beach today. There will undoubtedly be more. But that is still so much less than so many people have suffered.

2. Neva Williams says:

I’m glad to hear that all is well with you and Paul and your furry kids. You were in my thoughts and prayers.

3. Ericmayer says:

Glad things turned out well.

Ditto to what everyone has shared. Thank you for sharing your experience with this storm. I’m so glad you are okay.

5. Sandy Freel says:

so happy with this news..hey…you can get him new shoes for xmas time :-))

Paul is back and his boat is at its own mooring. The seas were rough and he had to row back in and whilst trying to throw his sneakers up on the pavement from the rowboat, one went into the drink. So he threw the other one away, too. So our damage in toto was one lost pair of old crappy sneakers. No biggy. He is switching to his “winter” shoes now anyway, what he calls his “shit-kickers” – high-top work boots.

…and now back to our regularly scheduled programming….

7. Betty Lou says:

It sounds like you both have made it safely through this storm. Hopefully you have been through the worst, and everything will continue to get better.

8. nina says:

I’m thrilled, for you and especially for Paul, who works so hard out there in the ocean waters and doesn’t need additional burdens!

Well, if wishes were boats, then your floating apparatus is just fine. I’m glad the tree did no damage to the buildings and that you and Paul and dogs are safe and sound. What a time!

It’s amazing how a disaster like this puts everything in perspective, isn’t it? Other worries and fears seem so minor in comparison.

10. Joan says:

I was talking about you and Paul to my husband as we rode out the storm in our livingroom in PA. I’m so glad all is well!!

11. T.S. says:

All the west coast was watching and wondering, hoping and praying, for you brave souls out there. Sounds like the worst is over…

UPDATE – UPDATE!

Paul has been down to look at the harbor and his boats, BOTH of them, seem fine. He can’t get out to his lobster boat because they have the gangway in the “up” position at the Landing, so he’ll have to wait til they put that down so he can walk down to the float and put his row boat into the water and then row way down-harbor to where his boat spent the day and night in this storm.

Again, thanks for prayers!!!

13. sandy from iowa says:

prayers for the boats now to be ok!THANK GOD you made it thru …thanks for updating us

14. Ericmayer says:

Sure hope the boats are ok.

15. Michael says:

Fingers crossed for you guys that by some miracle the boats survived. Glad you came through it okay! It’s really hard for a lifelong Californian to even imagine what it was like.

16. I’ve been praying for your safety and all of my friends and family on the east coast. I even said a prayer for Bollocks. đŸ™‚
    Heard from son Jim, who is in Skowhegan doing a clinical residency for his PA studies; he’s okay so far, and well inland. May you all come through this safe and sound!