We have to stop meeting like this…

Again, can’t sleep. It’s 1:34 a.m.

I have one comment to make. I heard some man who called in to my late-night talk radio show saying that the reason they are labeling it SUPERSTORM SANDY is because there has been collusion between NOAA and the INSURANCE companies, and if it’s called a Hurricane, the insurance companies have to pay out on Hurricane Insured claims. If it’s called a Superstorm, they don’t.

This is disgusting. And rings true to me. Any time the insurance companies can screw the little guy, they seem to do it.

Enlighten me if this is wrong. Confirm if this is true. I don’t know but it made perfect sense to me. I was wondering myself why the meteorologists kept insisting the hurricane be re-labeled and now I think I know why.

People are hurting out there. Some guy in W. Virginia is on a mountain at 3400 feet and is on oxygen and an electric wheelchair and has only 4 hours of battery back-up left. He has to get out to his truck to recharge his battery packs and he has snow up the yazoo, too. He is only one of so many people in need of help. All I can say is that you may not hear about this insurance company story but it would behoove us to pay attention. We may need to be ordering up some “SuperStorm Insurance” in the future. (Although, they’d probably change the names of the storms again anyway to get out of paying up!).

OK. I’ve had my say. Going back to bed to try for some sleep – again!

This is getting old.

2 0 1 2

Re-Elect Obama~Biden

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

10 Responses to We have to stop meeting like this…

1. Michael says:

Yeah, but I’d like to see the insurance companies try to avoid paying claims based on what the government calls the storm. There would be such an uproar that it could lead to widespread reform of the industry. (Unless Romney is elected, of course. Then the big corporations will run the country even more than they already do.)

OK, OK, but listen to what this guy has to say about hurricanes and insurance claims (wait for it to load a few seconds):

It seems very funny to me that they “divorced themselves from calling it a “hurricane” “.

3. I don’t believe that’s correct. Those late night talk shows are full of conspiracy theorists. Please excuse me for saying this, but, if you want to sleep nights, you don’t need their aggravation.

I was so glad to hear that Paul’s boats survived!!! So many didn’t.

If the insurance companies are doing these crazy things, it doesn’t surprise me. Since I’m not awake late at night these evenings, I can only imagine what i would here on late night radio. I used to like listening to those stations. Now, if by chance I am awake, I listen to my music. I hope you sleep better tonight.

Bex, perhaps this information from The New York Times will ease your mind:

“One stipulation of receiving federal disaster money for uninsured damage caused by flooding is that the home or business owner is then required to buy flood insurance. When they do, the coverage is entered into a federal database, according to a FEMA spokesman, and the agency checks each recipient for new disaster aid against lists of previous events.”

Even if uninsured, the home or business owner can get federal aid.

and Romney wants to privatize Social Security and Medicare, leaving us to the tender mercies of Wall Street and the insurance companies.

BTW, did you know that during the Great Depression the insurance companies were the only ones still making money? Guess why….

7. Ericmayer says:

No, I’m sure that isn’t true. I doubt if it matters what it is called. Policies usually talk about wind and water etc. They do everything n their power to define various situations so as to avoid paying but it has nothing whatsoever to do with NOAA labels.

Well, when I was viewing a major British web-site that had large photos of storm damage over here in the U.S., all the captions were labeling it the “Superstorm Sandy” – hardly a mention of “hurricane.” I am not convinced yet. I wouldn’t put anything past the big insurance companies, this will cost them a pile of money in the end.

9. Crochetlady says:

The title of Superstorm came because it was a Hurricane and NorEaster at the same time and was so widespread and damaging. Not the insurance companies-it was a hurricane first. This storm was bigger than Katrina.

10. Michael says:

You’re not really getting political information from talk radio callers, are you? Of course it’s a hurricane and has been labeled as such. I think the media are calling it a Superstorm because, let’s face it, it’s a super storm and “hurricane” doesn’t seem quite a big enough word for it.

Now, get some sleep and change that radio station. And stay safe.