Changing Times…

For some reason, the question of changing the clocks kept popping up in my consciousness, and even though I struggled mentally to remember if we’d already changed the clocks this fall yet or if it were coming up soon, I could not, for the life of me, remember!

Funny thing, too, was that I asked my friend, Sandy-from-Iowa, about it and even SHE didn’t remember. That is weird because every time clock-changing dates come up, she is the first one to remind me in Emails. She never fails to do this. So even Sandy couldn’t remember.

Click here for an interesting page on this subject.

As you can see, if you went to that site or if you are already in-the-know about these matters, clock-changing will happen THIS WEEKEND! Yikes. I would have missed it. I guess my subconscious self knew all this and was trying to break through into my conscious self to tell me it was almost time.

As to the efficacy of this practice of changing our clocks twice a year, I wish they would abolish it altogether. I think it’s stupid. Especially since most of the clocks are digital now-a-days and they (some of them anyway) are a pain to reset. Some of mine you have to hold one button down (which is very tiny and hurts your finger) while you tap-tap-tap real fast the other button to move the hours/minutes. If you go past the correct new time, on some clocks anyway, you have to go 12 hours ahead again. Some, I admit, are easy to change, but some of mine are not. I’d say the best one I have is the one on my microwave. Paul doesn’t know how to change almost any of the digital clocks in the house. He just will change the battery-operated ones where you just turn a tiny, almost inaccessible little black wheel on the back of the clock. Big fingers do not do that job well, and he always has trouble there, too.

Why can’t we just save ourselves all this unnecessary stress of changing clocks and do away with this stupid practice of “daylight savings time?”

About 50% of the people in this country think that if it isn’t in the Bible, then it’s not God’s will, and I’ll just bet if you looked, changing the clocks is NOT in the Bible!

So who wants to get a movement going? A KEEP THE CLOCKS THE SAME ALL YEAR movement?

Cheers and don’t-forget-to-change-your-clocks-this-weekend!,

And don’t forget the smoke alarm batteries!

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

!?!

10 Responses to Changing Times…

1. Nina Camic says:

We’re at 43 north and we’re at the edge of a time zone. Daylight savings time is wonderful for us! I wish we could keep it year round. An hour more of daylight in the evening is so precious. I can struggle through a dusky morning, but evening without light shuts off all outdoor life after work.
    Anyway, it’s always sad when we have to back to “normal.”

2. Michael says:

I hate what changing the clocks twice a year does to my sleep cycle. Other than that, I don’t mind having extra daylight in the afternoons in the summertime and extra light in the mornings in the winter.

I see from the link that Europeans changed their clocks last week, which explains why the English soccer games scheduled for Saturday start an hour later than usual in the U.S. (Yeah, that’s where my mind goes when it comes to these things.)

I don’t own a watch.

Want to hear something miraculous?

Paul has a watch but it’s one of those kind that hangs on a belt, and he keeps it on his boat at all times so he can tell when to quit fishing and come in. It was on the boat thru the entire SuperStorm Sandy, in all that wind, ocean swells, rain, etc… his watch was right where he left it when he went back on the boat after the storm, and working! Incredible.

I don’t think he bothers to change that watch either, he just mentally recalculates, like you, Eric.

4. Ericmayer says:

I stopped buying digital watches. Could never remember how to change them and always lost the directions. So I’d go around for months having to do a calculation for months every time I glanced at the watch.

Oh Bex, this entry gave me chuckles. I don’t remember any more about changing the clocks. It used to be at the spring and fall equinoxes and I could remember that. Now since they have distanced the days, I don’t remember and I rely on the computer or telly to tell me when to change the clocks.

I had a good laugh on the easiest clock to change. Before I read further, I thought, “the microwave.” I read the rest of the paragraph, you, too, said the microwave. It appears I have some of each clock you have written about.

Yes, I feel keeping the time at one time would serve the populace the best. Count me in for the movement.

I can certainly understand Sandy’s not remembering the date–it has changed from last year, and last year changed from the year before. If I had my druthers, I’d abolish it altogether. It does not “save” any energy. Changing the time on all the clocks that don’t do it automatically is a pain in the neck (or lower down).

7. In South Korea, we stay on standard time for our zone all year round, and I really like it! Some idiots have been pressuring the National Assembly (our Congress) to do Daylight Savings Time “because that’s what the Western countries do”, but so far they’ve been fended off. The fact is, it’s only countries above 40 degrees from the Equator that get any benefit from DST. Here at 38 deg. North, the difference between sundown in winter at 5 p.m. and summer at 7:40 p.m. is really not that much.

I think it was the Britons who invented it, and they are 51 degrees north, at Greenwich in southern England. Their difference is something like winter sundown 3 p.m. ST and summer sundown 10:30 DST/9:30 ST.

8. sandy from iowa says:

Sorry I couldnt remember to tell you..I have brain freeze at times 🙂
    I hate to change times on clocks and live in a time change.the livestock on farms hate it too

9. l'empress says:

I agree — there is very little sense to Daylight Savings Time, particularly if you are doing business across the ocean. And, if they use DST at all, their schedule may be different.

My kitchen clock was obviously made for the European market; it changed last week.

10. WendyNC says: