In. Som. Niac.

I just did something I haven’t done in years.

I just slept for 2 hours 20 minutes straight. I think it was straight. Pretty straight.

In my recliner chair in the living room.

I have to admit I was aware of my CD’s playing softly in the background, but not too much. I slept, and I dreamed.

It was one of those paralyzing sleeps where the body freezes in one position and even if your brain kind of wakes up, you stay frozen in that position right through the wakeful period and go back into sleep. You don’t move a muscle. I experience this kind of paralytic sleep occasionally, usually when I am really completely exhausted from lack of sleep. It must be my body’s way of shutting down, if only for an hour or two, to regroup.

I couldn’t tell you the last time I’ve slept for 2 hours 20 minutes all at once. Wow.

Normally when I wake up from a “nap” like this (it’s only 3 p.m. here on a Saturday afternoon), I feel like crap – for the rest of the day. I do kind of feel like crap but not as bad as usual.

Earlier today I had made the decision that I wasn’t going to cook dinner tonight. I normally make us dinner EVERY single night here, but since I discovered that a local pizzeria in town called Mandee’s delivers and that you can do all your ordering online, I have been using these services about once a week. As a special treat for myself. They have subs, calzone, dinners, etc., and I’ve tried several different things from them and they are not bad.

So today, much earlier, after I’d spent quite a long time in the kitchen making granola for Paul for the week and then making myself some French toast (and quite a mess ensued that I had to clean up), I was totally exhausted by that operation and so went to Mandee’s online and ordered us up 2 pizzas for supper, to be delivered at 5:15. Paul will roll in anywhere between 5:30 and 6 p.m. on a Saturday, and I’ll put together a nice salad to go with the pizzas, so that should be enough.

But right now, the internal feeling of having actually slept for SO LONG is making me euphoric. I wonder if I’ve actually rejuvenated anything in my body by doing this? If only my pain would go away with more sleep. Hey, there’s a thought! More sleep = less pains? If only…

Now that I’ve had this nap, I know tonight, when I do go up to bed, I’ll lie there FOREVER wide awake because my body will think it has already slept today. Crap.

Yawn,

Vote Obama/Biden

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

12 Responses to In. Som. Niac.

Thanks TT. I thought of getting one but decided not to. Maybe after you get yours and report on how it does. I have the worst time getting to sleep at all. I had to laugh that one of the “sound effects” in that device is of a vacuum cleaning running. What? That is not a sound I think I could drop off to sleep to… In fact, vacuuming now causes me excessive back/leg pain every time I do it.

I’m a little late with this, Bex, but this is what I’ve asked DH to get me for Christmas:

Sound Oasis Sleep Therapy System

It’s a natural sounds player that plays several tracks and you can add in new tracks. And the ‘loop’ on the sounds is an hour from start to finish, so there’s no irritating repeats. Also looks like it has a fade away when it turns off.

3. Michael says:

Wow, you have it even worse than I do. I’ve done all the same things, but I’ve discovered that audiobooks are the best way to get me to sleep. Once I go to sleep, I’m good for four hours or so, usually. My problem is that I hate to go to bed — I can always find one more reason to stay up a little longer, no matter how tired I think I am. And I refuse to go to bed until I think I can fall asleep fairly quickly anyway. So there’s really no way to win.

Nina, I would never have pegged you for a short sleeper, like me! I figured I don’t sleep because I don’t get enough (any!) exercise. But you? You move more than anyone I know! And still you don’t sleep? I guess my reasoning is flawed.

5. Nina Camic says:

Wait: you mean to tell me people actually sleep for, like, three hours at a time? No kidding? Honestly? Eh, that cannot be.(Sometimes, I have to admit, I do start off with a solid 2.5. After that — wake up wake up, snooze, wake up, snooze, wake up… until it’s time to get up.)

6. Joan says:

Nothing better than a lovely nap!!

7. WendyNC says:

I suppose you’ve already been tested for sleep apnea?

I could only commiserate with you on not sleeping well. I’m glad you got a couple of hours in though.

I know you’ve tried everything. However I have a saying I think about when stuff is overwhelming me:

“The pain is not in the surrender and acceptance. “It’s in the resistance.”

I don’t know if this will help or not. If not, let it go and know I feel for you and wish you good energy to be well.

9. sandy from iowa says:

BTW…love the little photos you have in there…the bottom one brings such smiles…wide eyed and on laptop

10. sandy from iowa says:

WOW…I guess you have tryed it all…I sleep ok and if i didnt have to get up for the loo two or three times…I would be as snug as a bug in a new rug…but it takes me a bit of time to get back to the zzz after a pop up

I do play CDs at night. I have tried everything. Getting up. Coming downstairs. Walking around. Reading a little. Turning off the radio. The quiet drives me nuts! I even bought a few audio CDs of books being read which I am listening to and they DO put me to sleep because I never hear how the story turns out, but then I wake up about 45 mins. later and am wide awake again.

I have always had this problem so it’s nothing new but the older I get the more I hate it. I am so envious of people who can sleep for 7 or 8 hours all at once!

12. sandy from iowa says:

I am happy for you…I know how hard it is for you to get rest with all your pain.
    Maybe play cd at nite rather than talk radio..this will keep your blood pressure down …hehe