Meme from me for you

I don’t usually do memes, but I read this one from L’Empress’ A Place of My Own so here goes mine:

1. EVER BEEN GIVEN OR RECEIVED AN ENGAGEMENT RING?

Yes, was given one by my 1st husband. It was his mother’s diamond that he had reset for me in a gold band. His mother died when he was a baby. When we were divorced, I gave him back the ring because he got married again and I thought she would want that ring more than I. By the time I married my second husband, I didn’t need something as frivolous as this.

2. LONGEST RELATIONSHIP?

If you discount immediate family like brothers and sisters who know you all your life, I guess it would be Paul, my current husband to whom I’ve been married for 26-1/2 years but whom I have known (and loved) for 50 years.

3. LAST GIFT YOU RECEIVED?

A CD of Andrea Boccelli which I love, and thank you to the friend who gave it to me – you know who you are…

4. EVER DROPPED A MOBILE PHONE?

No. But my husband had trouble with his out on his lobster boat and he slammed it down on the deck and broke his into a million pieces once.

5. WHEN’S THE LAST TIME YOU WORKED OUT?

Earlier today. I went up and down 2 flights of stairs several times doing laundry and got completely exhausted doing so.

6. THING(S) YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ON?

DVDs and CDs.

7. LAST FOOD YOU ATE?

Salad (home made) and a cheese pizza delivered from our local pizzeria.

8. FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT THE OPPOSITE SEX?

Their humility.

9. ONE FAVORITE SONG?

I have had a love affair with music all my life and I’m not sure I can pick just one – but one OF my favorites would be Song of the Candle sung by (the late) Stan Rogers. (Scroll down to song #8, to listen to a sample and while you are there, go ahead and listen to samples of all the other songs, Stan is fabulous!)

10. WHERE DO YOU LIVE?

In New England at Crow Cottage.

11. HIGH SCHOOL ATTENDED?

Yes. And graduated, too! (Marblehead High).

12. CELL PHONE PROVIDER?

N.O.Y.D.B.

13. FAVORITE SHOP?

I don’t shop outside my home anymore, so I’d have to say it is now Amazon.com.

14. LONGEST JOB?

As office manager for a construction company/insurance estimating firm – 16 years.

15. DO YOU OWN A SMART PHONE? WHY? (OR WHY NOT?)

No. I’m a dinosaur when it comes to gadgets.

16. LAST WEDDING YOU ATTENDED?

My sister’s wedding and I can’t remember how many years ago that was but she has grown children now, one who is in college and one who has finished college.

17. FAVORITE FAST FOOD RESTAURANT?

Bill & Bob’s Roast Beef.

18. FAVORITE FAST “FOOD” (I added this one)?

Reuben sandwich at Bill & Bob’s.

19. FAVORITE RECORDING ARTIST? (I added this one too)?

Another very difficult one as I have thousands of them, but I guess I would have to say (the late, great) STAN ROGERS who died in an airplane fire trying to save other passengers from the smoke. He died from smoke inhalation. He was way too young and talented to be yanked from this life and he has the most wonderful voice I’ve ever heard.

20. WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE WRITER (I added this just to round it off to an even 20 questions!)?

This has to be a tie for me. ANTHONY TROLLOPE and CHARLOTTE BRONTE. Trollope for his extensive and wonderful works which I will never get through in this lifetime and Bronte especially for my favorite book of all time, JANE EYRE.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

So that’s my meme for the year. You can copy it and do your own answers, or not. If you don’t like memes, you probably have not even gotten this far in this entry. But if you have, I hope you have a “dandy day” (as penned by my good friend Emily recently).

Vote Obama/Biden

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

10 Responses to Meme from me for you

1. t.s. says:

What I find interesting about memes is to go back a year or two later and see how your responses might change.

2. Reenie says:

1. EVER BEEN GIVEN OR RECEIVED AN ENGAGEMENT RING?

2. LONGEST RELATIONSHIP?
    26 years

3. LAST GIFT YOU RECEIVED?
    A book from a friend. To Bless the Space Between Us by John O�Donohue, Irish teacher and poet.

4. EVER DROPPED A MOBILE PHONE?

5. WHEN’S THE LAST TIME YOU WORKED OUT?
    Yesterday

6. THING(S) YOU SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ON?
    Art

7. LAST FOOD YOU ATE?
    Last night � Bowl of cereal

8. FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT THE OPPOSITE SEX?
    Their humility. Same answer 🙂

9. ONE FAVORITE SONG?
    I�m not much of a music person, but I like Latino music & classical

10. WHERE DO YOU LIVE?
    Monteagle, TN

11. HIGH SCHOOL ATTENDED?
    Knox School for Girls, St. James, LI NY

12. CELL PHONE PROVIDER?
    Verizon � Will someone hack into my life with this information?

13. FAVORITE SHOP?
    I am not a shopper

14. LONGEST JOB?

I had the best career ever and was very good at it. I was a housewife and mother. I have three amazing children. I was forced into retirement when they flew into their own happy and successful lives. For clarity, when life events were such, I sought jobs – for example, museum installation, or bookkeeping for an independent bookseller etc. But they were jobs. My career was my children.

15. DO YOU OWN A SMART PHONE? WHY? (OR WHY NOT?)
    No. But due to my illness and the dramatic changes in routine, I�m finally considering the investment to something with multiple purposes. My current cell phone doesn�t even take photos. Lol.

16. LAST WEDDING YOU ATTENDED?
    Family wedding in Nashville

17. FAVORITE FAST FOOD RESTAURANT?
    Don�t do fast food.

18. FAVORITE FAST “FOOD”
    Eggs at home?

19. FAVORITE RECORDING ARTIST?
    My life is quiet, but when I entertain (fill my home with guests), I�ll also fill it with music. First choices are: Cecilia Bartoli, or Frank Sinatra, or Pink Martini, or any variation of Vivaldi�s Four Seasons. I like Van Morrison. I�m also a fan of Cricket & Snail – an accordion/violin local duo. Hmm, they are perhaps my favorite and I encourage you to Google them.

20. WHO IS YOUR FAVORITE WRITER?
    I read way too much to select a favorite. Though many books came before, I�m a fan of Tony Earley and Haven Kimmel. I�m compelled to be loyal to them and the love for words they imbued. I just finished The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It�s exquisite. Judith Fein is also a personal favorite and not only because she�s a dear friend. She�s a travel writer and uses words that transcend the ordinary. Also, Linda Leaming, a friend who lives in Bhutan. But my all time favorite writer is Carmen Bernos De Gasztold, and her poems translated from French by Rumer Godden.

3. Nina Camic says:

I love it when you do a meme. I don’t know why cannot ever get myself to do one, but no matter — I loved yours.

4. Heh, my answer to #12 is JG (just guess). 😉

What a fun meme and I do remember seeing at l’empress’ site. I miss the memes. I went looking for the ones I used to stop in to visit when I was out of ideas on what to write. Now they no longer exist. Boo hoo. And, I will be doing the meme on my entry today.

6. sandy from iowa says:

nICE..even learned a few things about you 🙂

Rhu, I didn’t expect you’d do the meme in the comments section. Like I said, I don’t usually even read them let alone reprint them, but I just felt like doing this one for some reason. I wonder who sits in their houses and makes up all these memes anyway? Is there a meme club somewhere out there? Are there meme conventions?

L’Empress, I was wondering who would “get” that answer… I suppose in this world of abbreviations and single-letter words, probably everyone.

9. l'empress says:

Thanks for the shout-out. I especially liked your answer to #12.

1. No, never.
    2. Current husband 23 years and counting….
    3. I gave myself a new Kindle at the end of Oct
    4. Oh, yes, dropped cell phone on concrete driveway. RIP.
    5. Walked yesterday to and from Starbuck’s.
    6. Books, both dead tree and electronic. And coffee.
    7. 1 oz. cheese and cup of coffee about an hour ago.
    8. Intelligence
    9. “For the Beauty of the Earth”
    10. Southern California
    11. Yes
    12. Yes
    13. Amazon
    I stopped here because I’m not crazy about giving out so much personal information, even on a trusted friend’s blog. Sorry.