Oh Butterfingers!

Back to food.

I stumbled onto a 3-ingredient recipe for one of my all-time favorite candy bars, Butterfingers. I could not believe this could be so easy and still be true to that awesome butterfinger flavor, but I stand (or rather sit) before you today to attest to the truth of this claim, they ARE, indeed, just as yummy as the real thing. In fact, probably even yummier considering the fact that I didn’t add any chemicals or preservatives, etc., to mine.

All you need are:

* 3 cups Candy Corn

* 1-1/2 cups milk chocolate (or dark if you wish) morsels

(I used Ghiardelli milk chocolate morsels)

* 2 cups creamy peanut butter

Method:

Put candy corn in a glass microwaveable dish and microwave on high for a few minutes, checking now and then and stirring, until all the corn has melted. (It took me about 4 or 5 minutes in toto.)

Spoon out the 1-1/2 cups of creamy peanut butter into the hot candy and stir heartily until it is all mixed and the peanut butter is melted into the hot candy. (Be careful not to touch the candy on your fingers or skin – I did and it burns).

Pour this thick mixture onto an 8″x9″ sheet pan that has been lined with either Sil-Pat (which I used) or parchment paper.

Let this stand at room temperature to harden up, about 1 hour.

Cut it into bite sized servings.

Microwave the chocolate morsels until they have melted, mine took about 4 or 5 minutes. Also be careful when touching this hot stuff.

Dip bars into melted chocolate and lay out on parchment or Sil-Pat.

Here’s a video of a woman making these bars:

You will see the size of my servings. Those are a bit big and I would recommend cutting them smaller because these are very rich and unbelievably delicious, but just one of these, as pictured here, is really more than enough for one person at a sitting.

This is where I found this recipe, Blue-Eyed Bakers.

I don’t know how she got hers to look so professional. I had trouble dipping them, I was making a real big mess, so I ended up just drizzling the chocolate all over the bars in one big gloop. The two pictured above were actually leftovers and I just spooned a bit of remaining chocolate over them so they aren’t really covered. The rest of them will just have the chocolate on the tops, whereas the ones on the web site are covered all over. I have no idea how she did that and kept her sanity.

I needed something sweet and now I have it in spades. Paul doesn’t like chocolate, so I’m going to have to keep these out of reach for the most part. But once you taste one, you’ll be amazed at how similar they are to the real thing. Not a great diet idea, I admit. But now and then a girl’s gotta have chocolate and peanut butter!

2003 – 2007 Archives at Diaryland

10 Responses to Oh Butterfingers!

1. t.s. says:

I’m with Rhubarb, living in a sugar-free house, until my visitors bring me some. Then I have a nibble.

Nina – and your vicarious versions are low-cal!

TT – they are not “crunchy” like the ones in the store but then they are not “stale” either. God only knows how old a candy bar can be by the time you eat it. These are fresh and more chewy but the TASTE is the same, even better because of the fresh peanut butter in them.

I even think putting a few peanuts on the top in the still melted chocolate could be super, or whatever little items you love to munch on. Snicker bars are really my all-time favorite but I think would be too complicated to make. These are unbelievable, really and truly.

Try them. You can freeze them afterward. I am going to wrap all mine up now and freeze them so I can just pull one out when the urge hits.

I don’t know any other way to tell you “how” they are better, but they just are. Even my Paul loved them and he usually won’t go near anything with chocolate. I suggest using some “good” chocolate rather than something like Hershey’s morsels but whatever kind you like.

I thought of also melting some peanut-butter morsels (which I have) and lightly drizzling those over the chocolate on the top…

3. Nina Camic says:

I get a ton of vicarious gratification reading about your baking projects. ALMOST as good as the real thing!

Tastes better than the ones in the store? In what way?

I saw that recipe too and even copied it, but I’m afraid to be disappointed. They don’t have Butterfingers for the most part here where I live, and I really really need them to be a lot like the real thing.

I got Paul to eat half of one and I had the other half for dessert. OMG is right. This thing is so good but at the same time, you don’t really want to pig out on it because it’s rich but not sweet-sweet, the peanut butter cuts the sweetness of the candy corn and it really and truly tastes actually better than the ones in the store. I am going to wrap them individually and freeze them tomorrow.

6. Joan says:

OMG!! My favorite candy bar!!!

You’ve out did yourself this time. Those are all the ingredients I happen to like. For the dipping, I would think you would need a double boiler and as l’empress said, use tongs. Hmm, now I have another recipe to try out.

8. sandy from iowa says:

oh my goodness…ALL of my favorites wrapped into one bar…yum yum :-))
    When I am out shopping some times I buy that bar or a milkyway.
    Great photos…like you could reach in and get one

9. l'empress says:

I think I would try tongs for dipping into the chocolate. If I made those, which I wouldn’t, because someone else would eat them. 😉

Since I’m addicted to sugar, and can’t stop once I start, I’ll just admire from a distance. They look great!