“The Oldest Bedtime Story Ever”

Paul’s cousin by marriage, Barbara Anderson, is a regular opinion columnist for our local paper, The Salem Evening News. In today’s paper she wrote an article about the Middle East situation, and near the end she wrote this which concerns Paul’s first cousin Jane’s son Ben, who has just published a children’s Bible (which can be found at amazon here). Here is an article of an interview with Dr. Ben Morse about his new book.

Barbara Anderson wrote today:

Here is a related item for which I am thankful this week: My nephew (from my second marriage) Benjamin Morse has just published the children’s Bible (Part 1, Old Testament) that he’s been working on for eight years. “The Oldest Bedtime Story Ever” from the Bible Beautiful Series is a joyous work of art. With his two master’s degrees, one in biblical interpretation at Oxford University and the other in modern art at the Courtauld Institute in London, Ben has created an amazing book using his medium of cutout figures and colorful patterns, with whimsical touches like Noah’s family wearing yellow rain slickers, and charming narrative.

He gave me my autographed copy when he was here last weekend. It’s just available at Amazon, I am ordering several for Christmas presents. His mother, Marblehead native Jane Anderson Morse, was one of the first women ordained an Episcopal minister. She died at age 51; her son honored her by using her photo in the cutout of the whirlwind from which God spoke to Job.

Jane got her doctorate on the Book of Job, which remains a mystery to many of us. Yet I’ll end with the Jewish prayer that I always say at Thanksgiving dinner: “Grateful, am I, to You.”

Here is a picture of Jane (Anderson) Morse, Paul’s late first cousin who co-officiated at our wedding just after she was ordained an Episcopal minister. She passed away only a couple of years later of cancer.

Rev. Neimeyer, Rebecca, Jane, and Paul

Here is the author, Jane’s son, Ben Morse,(now a Ph.D.), sitting next to his Mom while attending our wedding in May 1986 at Paul’s parents’ home.

And a few years ago, Ben married his partner, author Richard Mason, in a church in Glasgow, Scotland. Richard has written several books himself which can be found here.

Good words, Barbara. Thank you. And grateful will the World be if the current Cease Fire stands, although I am watching CNN right now, and they are reporting that there is rocket fire still coming into Israel, so I just don’t know. We certainly hope and pray it holds.

13 Responses to “The Oldest Bedtime Story Ever”

Thanks, Ben, for stopping by here! Another book in the offing… will look forward to it! Much love, Rebecca

2. Ben Morse says:

Dear Rebecca,

Thank you so much for posting about my book. I am deeply moved by the mention — and by the photo of my mother, which I have never seen. I do remember your wedding vividly and will be sure to be in touch prior to my next visit to Marblehead. I am more than halfway through my “sequel” — a New Testament I am calling “The News about Jesus and How He Saved the World”. My Bible website is http://www.biblebeautiful.com. Thank you again and much love,

Ben

I agree, Reenie, that book is so different and at first it just looks like a kid’s book but there was so much work (artistic) that went into each page, and I would think that it would be a big hit with children who are learning their Old Testament. I am assuming Ben will be writing another one to follow this one at some point down the road.

4. Reenie says:

I got my book today! WOWZY! The book and copy and illustrations are stunning. I’m thrilled.

I got my copy (for Paul) of Ben’s book today and it’s even more beautiful than I’d imagined. What a lot of work went into it. Such a different type of children’s book – good for us adults, as well!

Congrats to Ben on finishing his first book and getting it published!

7. t.s. says:

I was just getting ready to read the Book of Job…always little signs in the road…

8. Ericmayer says:

Nice story. What a talented family!

Gee, I bought a copy too, for Paul for Xmas. Paul just saw Ben yesterday in Marblehead, he was up here “on business”. Well, good. Keeping the economy going. I can’t wait to get the book!

10. sandy from iowa says:

Oh my goodness what a nice way to enter Thanksgiving with this journal page..Thank you for all the photos from back in time to now.
    Blessings

What a lovely family story. Thanks for sharing Bex. You always have the best stories.

12. Reenie says:

I just purchased a copy! This book is so very, very wonderful. Bravo! I also *shared* the link at my Facebook page.

13. Reenie says:

Everything about this post is so lovely. You are SO helping me build a beautiful day. đŸ™‚ Now I’m headed to Amazon!