Our Pampered Pets

My Pic of the Day:

Check out this page about Crufts dogs on the The Daily Mail web-site.

I have mixed feelings about dog shows. Being the “parents” of two pure-bred collie dogs, I can appreciate people loving them and wanting to live with them, and even showing them off. But I really have to wonder how much the dogs actually love the life of a show dog, on the road all the time, even going on planes – that’s one thing I could never do – put my pet in a crate on a plane. That’s why I couldn’t move to England as long as I have a dog because in all good conscience I could not put them down in the storage hold of a plane.

But I do enjoy watching a dog show and wish I got Crufts Dog Show on TV here. Maybe I can find it online.

This picture above just hit my funny bone. And then there’s this beautiful specimen that I couldn’t leave out:

So gorgeous. I would love to have one of these dogs someday – is it a Scottish wolfhound? Irish wolfhound? not sure. I’ve seen a man walking two of these dogs locally along the beach and they are so big!

Cheers for our pampered pets,

Bex & Co.

Jaz & Bex

10 Responses to Our Pampered Pets

1. Reenie says:

Best of Show is one of my favorite movies. :)))))

TT: I think I did read a while ago that with the microchips, dogs didn’t have to wait 6 months in quarantine any more, but it’s the plane ride over there I object to. I can’t even imagine how scary that would be for my darling dogs to be in a plane with all that noise and dark, etc. It’s bad enough for ME to go anywhere by plane – let alone unsuspecting doggies. Nope…couldn’t do it to them.

Bex, they don’t quarantine dogs anymore going to the UK. Not from the US, at least. They need to be microchipped, vaccinated, treated for tapeworm, and have their own doggie passports, but after that they can go right into the country (with an approved carrier).

DH has a special love for Irish Wolfhounds. I just have a soft spot for them. But I’d never want to own one. Too much food and they’d need too much room.

When Indy was just a year old we tried him in a dog show. We HATED it – and so did he! So one day was enough and now we just enjoy each others company at home.

Nina: I’m hoping we have a lot of years left with our doggers, and if we do, then we’d be quite old to be moving house to England. If tomorrow we were dogless, I’d want to just do it but there are so many complications – we can’t sell our house until we pay to hook up our sewer into the city line which isn’t even in the street yet…very complicated… so we couldn’t sell the house and that would be the first thing needed. Also, if we didn’t have any dogs (perish the thought!!!!) I would probably die from a broken heart here anyway – very soon. I cannot imagine living without them. So, the reality is that we probably never will move there, it’s just not in the stars for us I don’t think. But I can dream…

6. Nina Camic says:

Would you move to England were it not for the dogs? Oh, how incredibly memorable some places are for us!

Your pooches always look so content and deeply loved! I think you’d do most anything for them and they know it!

Give me an Afghan hound any day. Only the one I had never did get “dressed” up.

Actually,Anna, we do some hacking off of clumps too with Kip (and past collies) because grooming is not done regularly here….we like the “natural look” on our dogs!

9. Anna says:

Haha! Loved the pic of the Afghan hound. My sis used to have one, that she acquired by accident, who wasn’t having being groomed. When her coat got too matted Sal used to just hack off the clumps so she was always the scruffiest Afghan you ever did see, but she was a lovely character xx

10. Sandy Freel says:

Nice dogs but I wonder if they ever get to relax and have dog fun ..Roll in mud…roll in poop…roll down a hill.
    I will take your fuzzies any old day before I would want the perfect dog on show time.
    Thanks..I would watch a show of them and hug what was on my lap at home if I had one:-)
    I dont blame you for not wanting to crate them..plus dont they have to be put back for 6 months to make sure they are well or is 6 weeks