The Forsythia Rule

ForsythiaTime0003

Spring, I think, is here. As I do every year, I measure spring’s arrival by Peggy’s forsythia bush across the street. It’s such a beautiful, full, and brilliant forsythia, especially when I compare it to my poor specimen in the driveway. (See below, my long spindly forsythia bush can be seen peeking out behind the burning bushes which don’t show off their beauty until fall when they turn a dark red colour.)

ForsythiaTime0004

I guess keeping a forsythia cut back and trimmed up is the key. Peggy has been doing that, and it shows.

ForsythiaTime0002

Another week dawns on the hill here in Salem. It’s sunny and nice outside which begs the question: What am I doing inside?

flowers front deck

14 Responses to The Forsythia Rule

TT: The only thing I know about forsythia is that the branches grow their buds in the summer/wintertime so you can’t trim them up until just AFTER they have bloomed (in spring). But if you wait to trim them, you trim off any of the flower buds. That’s the reason we never trim ours and it looks so wild and crazy… we always forget to trim it after it blooms.

Our forsythia at the side of the house is still barren. I’m hoping it’ll start blooming in a couple of days, since it’s supposed to finally warm up this weekend.

Karen,

Yes, of course. I have a Region 2 (PAL) DVD player that plays multi-region DVD’s including British and European. It’s not expensive either.

Here it is at amazon.

We use ours every single night and it plays U.S. DVDs (Region 1) as well as British & European (Region 2) DVDs. I highly recommend buying one of these. For under $50, if you want some good viewing, it more than pays for itself. Also, you might want to get an amazon account in the UK… (http://www.amazon.co.uk) and in there you can find literally thousands of fabulous shows to buy and the older ones are not full price.

4. Karen DiCicco says:

Bex,

I was wondering if you could tell me what you use to watch British DVD’s etc.?

Thanks,
    Karen

5. T.S. says:

Glad to hear of spring in the air! I don’t recall seeing forsythia in California. Looks like we’re missing out something quite pretty.

6. Reenie says:

Smarti! What a startling confession! You’re our resident horticulturist. (I first misspelled this as hoticulturist. lol. You’re that too.) But you do confirm that forsythia is regional. For many of us it’s a bright sign of spring’s arrival.

7. Smartiplants says:

I have never heard of forsythia but it is really beautiful!

I can’t say I have seen forsythia bushes here in California but I always look forward to see your’ and your neighbor’s in bloom. Yes, Spring is here and I’m with you, “What am I doing inside?”

9. Bonnie says:

My parents had such a beautiful bush in PA until a car plowed through it one year. Don’t think it was ever the same then. So I guess that is not the way to prune. 🙂

10. Reenie says:

My childhood was spent in the Northeast where I think Forsythia feels most comfortable unless its tucked in the midst of burning bushes. LOL My parents built my childhood home in the middle of the gardens and orchard of an estate on Long Island. It was the late 1940s and the property was sold off due to taxes, I believe. The house they built was a lovely Cape Cod. True to her New England roots, mom had the roof painted white. People thought she was a bit kookie, but it was exactly this sort of thing that nurtured fearlessness in my own creativity. I grew up with all the beloved flora we reminisce about. Thanks for this flash of yellow today.

Yes, forsythia seems to mark the real start of spring. They are just beginning to bloom here. We only have a few in our yard but some places you see walls, half as tall as a house, or entire hillsides of brilliant yellow.

12. l'empress says:

I always loved forsythia; we don’t have any at this house. I especially loved them when they bent over and the tops took root. We would crawl inside, a wonderful hiding place.

13. sandy freel says:

‘WOW” Spring has came to your neck of the woods..:-)