Just a Saturday Morning

Usually when I write a journal entry, I have something specific to tell, a little story, a photograph or twenty, or something. But not this morning. I just dropped in here to say hi.

Hi.

Now you know it’s hard for me to shut up after only one word, and I don’t even have any good pictures… oh wait, I did take some the other day of the front yard… so here are a few:

Spring has sprung Apr. 29, 2013

Spring has sprung Apr. 29, 2013

Spring has sprung Apr. 29, 2013

springgarden0429130013

That last shot was an action shot… the dogs were going nuts barking at something out in the street or someone going by… this goes on a lot here.

+ + + + + + + + + +

Anyway, spring is nittling along here in New England. It’s been really nice here, despite all the bad awful nasty snow that has enveloped our friends in the mid-west… what is going on??? My poor friend, Sandy-from-Iowa, has been shoveling snow this past week! It’s not fair.

+ + + + + + + + + +

Paul is lobstering again, not every single day but a few days a week as the weather/wind will allow. Lobsters are still quite scarce but as each day passes, he gets a few more in his traps. And he’s starting to run down his bank balance and needs income to replenish it. Bills wait for no man – or lobster!

+ + + + + + + + + +

When I came down this morning, which was unusually early for me (7:45), there was a bread mix out on the counter which is my signal to make Paul a new bread in the machine. OK. I hobbled around putting that together – I add other stuff to his bread mix to spiff it up a bit, like golden flax seeds and oats and sunflower seeds — and he had gotten the wrong kind of bread mix (Bob’s Red Mill), potato bread, so I have to spiff that one up particularly as it’s pretty bland if I don’t. It just finished and came out pretty nice looking, not all caved in like some of them do but quite a good sized loaf.

Then I noticed that my jar of various sized scoops was out on the counter where it shouldn’t be, and I tried to figure out why… and then I saw it – on the message board behind the scoops was written “C O O K I E S” by that hub of mine, so I knew I had to also make him new cookies as he’d just finished off his last batch. So before I even got my first cuppa down, I hobbled around the kitchen, gathering up all the ingredients to make molasses-spice cookies, and put them all together, warming up to room temperature, so when I was ready, it would be easier.

And in a couple of hours I was ready, and it wasn’t too bad, and the cookies are done and cooling on the racks now,and I’ve even washed up all the dishes and cookie sheets, etc.

I haven’t had anything to eat yet today except the cuppa, and it’s almost noon now so better do that. I hear Paul home for lunch – bye for now.

Cheers from a Saturday Morning,

Bex & Co.

11 Responses to Just a Saturday Morning

1. Smartiplants says:

Enjoyed the pics and the post about your morning. Nice homey feel to most all your posts and I like that. It’s kind of like wrapping up in a warm blanket. 🙂

2. T.S. says:

Quiet days are the best.

Thanks all… I am currently making the beet soup. I will report back on it once we’ve determined how it is. So til later… when soup’s on…

4. ~ Sil in Corea says:

It’s so nice to get a notify from you, Bex! 🙂 Your photos are so lovely and spring-filled. I love seeing the green grass and forsythia coming along. That’s a great communication system that you and Paul have! Glad to hear that the lobsters are starting to move. I sure hope he gets enough to make it well worth his while to go out on the water.

5. Nina Camic says:

Hi to you too! Funny how life just throws stories at us: you just have to sit down at your computer and out they come!

Lovely dogs. Really lovely dogs!

6. Bonnie says:

I sure hope you give the recipe for beet soup. Oh wait my husband doesn’t eat beats so I’ve no idea how to handle beets. I just buy a jar of pickled beets which I love. Come to think of it I haven’t made pumpkin soup since winter.

Love the picture of the dog on the porch!

You are such a sweetie, baking bread and making cookies, and taking care of dogs, too! What would they do without *you*!

P.S. I really like Kip on the front doorstep–such a typical doggie thing to do, lying across the doorway, guarding from all comers, especially squirrels and butterflies!

Energy is not something I have much of, believe me. Since I’m retired and Paul isn’t, it’s only right that I keep him in bread and cookies, it’s the least I can do. I do very little else around here – only vacuum now and then, and little else now that my mobility has been downgraded.

But I have tried to make cooking as easy as I can. I keep the recipe for two of our fave cookies printed out and framed and hanging on the wall in the kitchen so I don’t have to rummage around for the recipes. I just take the frame down and stand it up on my countertop. I make the same stuff over and over so that helps, as well. I know right where all the ingredients are so only have to move a minimum of steps. The bread machine does most of the work for his bread. And homemade stuff seems so much more work than store-bought.

Now I have a bunch of fresh beets that Paul got while food shopping, and I want to make a beet soup maybe this weekend… anybody got any ideas?

Sounds like you are a busy beaver this morning. It is good to hear lobstering is picking up every day. I loved your photos and I just love your house. I wish I had your energy that you have for cooking. I know Michael would love it to be able to put out hints.

10. Reenie says:

Sounds like a morning that’s busier than most people have. I wish I had your energy! All sounds so warm and toasty and tastie and inviting. I’m nearly slobbering for one of those cookies.

11. sandy freel says:

I am going to use photo 3 for my wallpaper…love the shot of kip and the green grass.
    Lordy with 7 inches of snow on May 3rd we see no green grass now.
    Mother nature is not happy right now with Iowa.
    Good luck to Paul.
    WOW…lots of baking at your place..love his hints he leaves