27 Years, and counting

Twenty seven years ago today we were married. It’s about 10:15 a.m. now, and we said our vows right around 11 o’clock that morning. A weird time to have a wedding, at 11 o’clock on a Saturday morning. It never dawned on me that it was a funny time.

We married at Paul’s folks’ home, which we were planning on buying from them and living in forever after. (That didn’t work out so we found and bought Crow Cottage instead).

Click the arrow for a slide show of our wedding, or click “Wedding 1986” for the “set” of still photos:

And now, 27 years later, I love that guy more than ever. He has proven to be the best thing that ever happened to me. A one-in-a-million guy. I must have had divine guidance when we met up and decided to spend our lives together.

So this is for you, my love, my darling, my beloved husband, my Paul.

Happy Anniversary!

And thank you for the best years of my life!

With never-ending love,

“Wifey”

15 Responses to 27 Years, and counting

That dress I got at Talbot’s, a local women’s clothing store. I think it was rather expensive (for me anyway) at around $99 but it wasn’t a wedding dress, just something I thought would be appropriate, especially since this was my 2nd wedding. Actually my first wedding I wore a dress off the rack from a clothing store in Washington, D.C. too. Why spend a fortune on a big dress you’ll never wear again? I could never figure that out. Although I have to admit — I never wore either of mine again either!

You were a lovely bride, Bex! And what a sweet dress!

Happy anniversary, you two!!

3. Daisy says:

So wonderful! Happy Anniversary to you! Congratulations and wishing you many more years of happiness.

Happy, happy to you and Paul.You guys are good mentors for the rest of us.

5. sandy freel says:

Thanks for update on toppers…hey…Paul just has a wee more to Love..:-)
    You both are such fun folks…I look back on my trip and so happy I got to do England with you both

The cake toppers are two little wooden characters carved by hand by our friend, Bob Sinclair, who also took the photographs of our wedding day that you see here.

This is where they sit permanently now, over the fireplace in the dining room, one on each side:

Bob didn’t really get into the usual posed pics, he just moseyed around shooting shots of people. He is gone now but he liked to whittle wooden things, like celtic love spoons, etc. He made these two characters, a tall thin guy and a short fat woman, which back then weren’t exactly right but now that 27 years have passed, they are spot on!! He’s still tall and thin, and I am…… well…. never mind.

7. sandy freel says:

I have went thru them again…what is the cake topper..my computer don’t show it up to good ?

8. Betty Lou says:

Happy, Happy Anniversary to you two, and I’m sure you have never-ending love.

Congratulations! A home wedding is the best. (What a beautiful setting too!) Mary and I were married at our house in Rochester. A local judge lived just down the street and he presided. (Judge Valentine!) I’m glad it turned out so well. Having been married twice I can say there’s nothing worse than a bad marriage and nothing better than a good one and I’m happy to have got the former out of the way first. Hope you and Paul have many more years.

Thanks all.

Bonnie, that pink tree (well there were 2 actually) one was a magnolia and the other, where we are posed after the ceremony, is some sort of a flowering cherry I think. Not sure about that one. The one losing all its petals was the now-famous magnolia tree that Paul’s mother loved more than almost anything. They don’t live there any more.

As for the female Reverend (Jane) she was Paul’s first cousin, best friend growing up, and an Episcopal priest. She died of cancer many years ago, not long after we married actually, and so these pictures of her co-officiating at our wedding are very special. You may remember me talking about her son, Ben, who wrote and published, The Oldest Bedtime Story Ever,” his version of the Old Testament of the Bible back several months ago.

11. Bonnie says:

Happy Anniv. What a lovely venue, loved that pink blossom tree. Surprised to see a woman doing the nuptials back then.

12. l'empress says:

Happy anniversary!

It would have been strange if I were married on a Saturday morning, because Jewish weddings are not on Saturday unless it’s at night, when the Sabbath is over.

But my best friend was married in a Catholic church, which did most of its big weddings on Saturday. The priest told her they had to stick to the schedule, “because I have two funerals before you and a wedding after.” 8)

13. sandy freel says:

WOW….I too got married on sat at 10…in pastor home .
    May you have many many more happy years together.

14. T.S. says:

Cute couple. God bless!

15. Joan says:

Congrats to both of you!! I just love a happy ending!!