The Lord God Loves Them All

In the same vein as the rest of this week, gardens, I was curious to see photographs of two trees in the front garden for comparison purposes.

The top photo (below) was taken several years ago – obviously when I was taking better care of the outside area, hence the flowers on the deck, etc. But you can see the two trees in both photos below, one probably 6 or 7 years ago (I am just guessing, it could be longer) – (I just checked, it was taken May 31, 2003 so 10 years ago), and the bottom photo taken just the other day in May 2013.

On the left (red arrow) is “Nathaniel” the hawthorne tree that we bought as a small tree and planted ourselves. It is named for my distant cousin, Nathaniel Hawthorne, but it also represents the wonderful miles and miles of hawthorn hedgerows in England that we would see on our visits there. They would make the walls around the fields out of hawthorn trees. They are very thick and hardy and if you cut them back a lot, they make a nice impenetrable hedgerow to keep the animals in and, I imagine, the intruders out.

The ornamental tree on the right (blue arrow), the one that is in full bloom right now, is called “Pal” and is a flowering crabapple – dark red flowers. We planted that tree on the day after our neighbor, who lived behind us, passed away suddenly. He was a gardener and a wonderful guy with miles and miles of wisdom about gardening. All his friends called him “Pal” Gambale, so we named this tree “Pal” in honor or Mr. Gambale.

Top photo showing trees when they were 10 years younger:

Deck in bloom at Crow Cottage

And now, 2013, the branches of these two beloved trees are reaching out and almost touching each other. That’s what I want to see – their branches touching each other. So it will make an arch looking out through the front garden to the street. A natural arch.

Another comparison view:

Deck in bloom at Crow Cottage 16 May 2013 - Crapapple tree ("Pal") in bloom with "Nathaniel" hawthorne tree to its left.

This shows them almost touching even better, taken yesterday:

16 May 2013 my babies playing in the garden

I was noticing this when I was sitting out in my chair earlier this morning, when the sun was out and I was soaking up some vitamin D. I can’t sit in the sun too long, though, because for some reason, my skin seems allergic to sun and I break out in blisters on my hands and arms if I am in the sun too long. This just started happening late in life, too, and I have no idea why.

18 May 2013 Garden Treetops0001

Above taken a day later, getting closer and closer! I think we have a real romance budding here!

+ + + + + + +

So that’s it for now. I’ve just baked a batch of chewy oatmeal-raisin-walnut cookies for Paul and the house smells divine. I have my three CDs of John Rutter music playing on the stereo, and the chorale tunes of Olde English cathedral music is wafting through the house and brightening up every corner. Hallelujah!

(This is turning into one of my all-time favorite songs, by The Milk Carton Kids, “Girls Gather Round.” More about these guys at a later date.)

and another one, “Permanent”

P.S. Paul just did the food shopping and came home with 5 lottery ticket numbers for the drawing on Saturday. Oh gosh, I forgot to check – did he play the right game? The last time he bought us 10 numbers, it turned out he played the wrong game! You have to keep an eye on these husbands…

P.P.S. Powerball. That’s the game he played. I hope that’s the right one. You can see how often we blow money on lottery tickets!!

Ta ra for now, and cheers for all God’s growing things,

Bex & the Trees

8 Responses to The Lord God Loves Them All

1. T.S. says:

I also sense that the sun is more intense than it used to be.

2. Michael says:

I think the sun is more dangerous now than it was when we were kids. We spent several years destroying the ozone layer that used to protect us, and that’s what has left us so vulnerable.

Good luck with the Powerball! I hope you win a zillion dollars.

DH and I both have sun allergies, the red bumps/blisters show up on our hands and arms if we get too much sun. We’ve found though, that if you get a tan than the bumps stop! And of course tanning lotion with high SPF helps, too.

Love Nathaniel’s name! 😀

This thing with sun and my skin is like that, Betty Lou, with medications however I don’t take any meds! The only things I take are PM aspirin at night and some calcium/magnezium/zinc tablets. I spent my entire childhood outside in the sunlight, at the beach, so I figure it’s the multiple sunburns I suffered during all those years that have come home to roost — this is how people get skin cancer – the sun damage they get as youths doesn’t rear its ugly head until many, many years later. I’m just holding my breath nothing turns that way…

Sil – wow – when I read what you said about your tulip garden I got shivers up and down my spine. Yes… from “the other” I’m sure there are spirits guiding things here on earth…absolutely.

5. Betty Lou says:

As far as being allergic to sunshine now, I used to be able to be in the sun all day without problems. But now the medications I take have made me allergic, too, and I have to stay out of the sun and take Vitamin D tablets. Things do change as we get older……..Love to see pictures of your house and yard as everything looks so pretty and nice.

6. ~ Sil in Corea says:

They really seem to be thriving! I think naming them and caring about them gives some good energy to them. This is only an observation, but my husband and I built a tulip garden about 20 years ago and named it for his best friend, who had just passed on. I never saw tulips thrive like they did.

7. sandy freel says:

everything in your yard grows…mother nature is happy with you I think 🙂

I edited too quickly after I saved my entry today and two notices got sent out. I am going to delete the first one because that was the one I hadn’t saved the changes to, so RHUBARB’s comment will get lost. Sorry about this… but Rhubarb said:

“I like the way you name your trees, makes them feel like part of the family” —

Thanks Rhu! Yes, they are, indeed, part of our weird little family. We love them just as much as anything else that lives and breathes here on our little plot of land.