A Couple of Niggling Things

A couple of items I just wanted to mention here today.

1. Flickr.

Has anyone gone there in the last day? I was happily editing things, making “collections” out of my “sets” and generally spiffing up my photos with captions, etc. All the while I was thinking to myself how much I am enjoying Flickr and am so grateful for it after the debacle of WebShots when they abandoned us all last year. With Flickr I can do my photos there at a very reasonable fee (I do have a “Pro” account) and it has always seemed very easy navigating around in there.

Then last night I just clicked on my Flickr site and WHOA NELLIE-BELLY! All had changed within a few hours! A whole new look to the home page, which I did NOT like one little bit. I had no idea how to navigate around in there. Where were my sets, collections, how do I edit? Why do these places feel they have to change something that is working fine?

I spent many hours in trial and error mode last night, while we were watching the Red Sox lose to the Chicago White Sox. I finally figured things out, found out that it’s not totally revamped at Flickr but I still do NOT like the new home page look at all, the large format of the photos that show up on your “photostream” which are all your pictures going from recent to old. I voiced my opinion in one of the forums where there were, as of last night, 17 pages of outraged members who voiced the same opinion I had… we don’t like it! But of course no one seems to ever read those things or pay any attention to us, the paying members.

+ + + + + +

2) The tornado yesterday in Moore, Oklahoma.

Prayers for the residents, especially for those who lost not only loved ones including children, but also all the pets and animals who have been either lost or injured. There was a horse farm that was wiped out and they said that 75-80 horses were killed and/or injured and lots had to be put down. This just breaks my heart into pieces. What about all the doggers and kitty-cats, and birds and hamsters, and all the other beloved pets? Where are they? What did they go through on the last day of their lives? I start to cry every time I even think of it. I did see a few of the horses standing off in the distance and one was holding one rear leg up all the time.

They had reported 51 dead, 20 of whom were children, but today they downgraded those figures to 20-something dead with 9 children. I don’t know what to believe yet but the state of that town is so sad and devastating.

Then there was a spokeswoman for one of the organizations (?) who was saying that they will stay optimistic and keep searching the debris for survivors and then as she looked out over the pile of rubble that her town had become, she looked back at the journalist who was interviewing her and said “God is Good.”

What?

Was the “good” side of God the part that ruined so many lives? Or was that God’s evil twin brother? If God is so good, why does He/She hurt so many so often? If God is all-powerful, what was the decision process in deciding to wipe out all this humanity?

I don’t have answers but I do know one thing. Whatever that Higher Power is, I don’t think we can label it “good” or “evil” – it’s just there and doesn’t seem to have any emotional attachment to the residents of this planet.

+ + + + + +

Now I am going back to the Arias Trial. Today should be the last day of courtroom goings on. Jodi will (supposedly) speak to the jury to plead for either her life or her own death. No one knows what she will do. She is a certifiable nut case, in my humble opinion, and hopefully today will be the last time she bothers us with her stuff.

With prayers for those who need them,

Bex & Co.

11 Responses to A Couple of Niggling Things

Thank you, all, your opinions are interesting.
    I also want to know what the “p” word is. My word for Flickr, when I first discovered their changes, was a more well-known “f” word, which is my favorite word of nastiness when I’m angry. I’m getting used to the changes BUT I notice that everything at Flickr now loads much slower than before with the large photos. Not a good move…

Sandy — if you hover your cursor over the little picture of me peeking out behind my girl, you will see it’s the late-great Whitby in that photo… I still miss her so much and just wanted to have her peeking in on me each day… She does resemble Kippie boy but not the same soul. 😉

2. ~ Sil in Corea says:

I’ve never forgiven Yahoo for closing Geocities. They neglected Flickr for years and now have to muck about with it. The mucking may have to do with buying Tumblr and revamping their ad systems. Yahoo succeeds in doing tacky ads that get in the way of using their websites.

Disasters just happen. I don’t think that God has anything to do with them. Perhaps the woman in OK was glad that more folks weren’t killed, but she sure spoke in a cliche.

3. Reenie says:

Well there’s much to think about here… but most important… what p word were you thinking of using, Bonnie. I haven’t a p word and would love to have one. I’ve got just about all the other letters covered… but not p. 🙂

4. Michael says:

I might be the only one (in fact, I’m pretty sure of it, based on what I’ve heard so far), but I like the new look and format of Flickr.

I also don’t believe there’s a higher intelligence that controls either the weather or who wins baseball or football games.

5. T.S. says:

I see what you mean about Flickr going wonky. Yikes!

I’m not so sure any major religion addresses the problem of good vs. evil very well. The best they can do is give us methods for coping.

6. Bonnie says:

I have a word for Flickr, a p word is what I’d use of how I feel about it.

Jodi Arias begs for her life because it will hurt her family if she gets death…. gee what of the other family.

I still consider God good I just don’t think he controls the weather any more than controls the evil doers of this world.

7. sandy freel says:

Love the photo on the side of you peeking over Kips head

I am always amazed at how simplistic — or should I say mindless — people can be about religion. Even if there is a God and He is good how does that imply that everything that happens in the world is good, which seemed to me to what the person was saying. Lots of bad things happen in the Bible and they are clearly labeled as such. If there is some sort of infinite being we finite creatures obviously cannot understand it/him/whatever or judge it in human terms.

9. Maggie says:

“I don’t think we can label it “good” or “evil” – it’s just there and doesn’t seem to have any emotional attachment to the residents of this planet. ”

Well said.

I am leaning more that way too, Karen. I say prayers to a higher being that I call “ATI” (All That Is) but I don’t think of this as a separate being but more of a force of energy of some sort. But in the big scheme of things in the universe, good and evil do not exist, they are invented by mankind for our purposes. I look at how animals see the world and they don’t have good or evil in their lives. It’s all a man-made thing. I guess we could go on and on about this subject but why? It won’t solve any of our problems.

11. karen says:

This is the same problem I have with believing in a God. I believe in Nature and Love. Terrible things happen and wonderful things happen in this world.
    If believing in a God helps you deal with life, then I am glad for you, but it is not for me.