N. U. A.

As you may, or may not, have heard or seen, the jury in the Jodi Arias Penalty Phase has come back with their penalty verdict – they had 3 choices:

– Death

– Life (with or without parole – decided by judge)

– No Unanimous Agreement

They deliberated over 15 hours on this one question and could not agree unanimously.

No. Unanimous. Agreement.

To say this is a shock is putting it mildly. For those of us who have been following it closely (and I have only been following it for a couple of months – it’s been going on for 5 years since Jodi murdered Travis Alexander and the Trial since the first of January of this year), this is awful.

That. Poor. Alexander. Family.

I am sick about this.

I wouldn’t even have been too upset with a “Life” sentence either. But one or the other!!!

It turns out that with Life or Death, Jodi would have gone to the same exact prison cell, alone, for at least the first 3 years for Life (forever for Death) and if the judge had given her Life without Parole — then fine with me. They haven’t executed anyone in Arizona for 83 years and there are 3 women on death row there, so she would probably be in jail for Life anyway.

OK… she was convicted of 1st Degree Murder so she gets either Life or Death… yes… but the Alexander family needed to have this be over and now they have to come back for more torture because Arizona law says that if you get a hung jury on a penalty phase, a new jury has to be seated and the penalty phase retried. Very tricky endeavor. We will all learn a lot about the courts here, no doubt.

No Cheers Tonight,

Bex-the-Trial-Watcher

6 Responses to N. U. A.

Reenie, it’s not futile if it manages to keep this coldhearted, coldblooded murderer (Jodi Arias) off the streets of this country. She needs to be locked away until she rots.

2. Reenie says:

I don’t know about this case, but I know very little about past or current events. This trial sounds expensive.

Yes, Bonnie, I agree with you – about that one lady who, they said, looked just like Jodi’s mother! She was the hold-out. We shall see. I imagine this put a wrench into the plans of the HLN staff regarding scheduling since they are all moving to Florida for the next televised case, the Trayvon Martin murder. At least we know Jodi will be incarcerated for life, for now.

Just saw on TV that it was an 8:4 split – with 4 wanting Life and 8 wanting Death. That surprised me.

4. Bonnie says:

My husband rarely pays attention to any court stuff but this case he did and like me not pleased. Rumor (that’s what I call chat from HLN talking heads) has it a lady juror was probably the cause. She had seemed reluctant in the delivery of ‘yes’ with the 1st degree murder and aggravated sentence. I said someone lied on their question about death penalty when they were picked.

What is up with the jury? How hard can it be to pick one or the other.

It’s sad that they couldn’t agree. I don’t support the death penalty but a Life sentence seems more than appropriate.