Sweets for the sweet (man of mine)

Trial and error. Making the ice cream. Today I had to make Paul a new batch, and peppermint stick was my chosen flavor. A new one for me. So I got these delivered here yesterday:

and peppermint extract:

Of course, I had to open up the sticks and try them, just to be sure they would work. They are the “soft” type of peppermint sticks, not real hard like the round candies. They melt in your mouth if you suck on these sticks. Pure heaven.

So I got out all the appropriate paraphernalia to make the

Peppermint Stick Ice Cream

2 cups cream (heavy or whipping)

1 cup fat free half and half

3/4 cup sugar

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1-1/2 tsp. peppermint extract

Pinch of salt

Peppermint Sticks pounded into crumbs (about 1/2 – 3/4 cup)

+ + + + + + + + + +

Mix/whisk all ingredients except the Sticks in a bowl or large measuring cup.

Add this mixture (minus the sticks) to the spinning bucket of the ice cream maker (which stays frozen in the freezer when not in use), and set the timer for 20 minutes.

When 20 minutes are up, add a little of the crushed Peppermint Sticks at a time until they are all added to the ice cream, thru the hole in the top of the container.

(Do not add the peppermint sticks at the beginning – I did that and had to fish them out because they would freeze to the sides as it was spinning, and that wasn’t good).

Let it go another 5 minutes to mix in all the crushed peppermint stick pieces.

Transfer ice cream into a container and keep in freezer.

And that, my friends, is my chore for the day done. Oh, I can see that Paul’s granola is getting perilously low in the big jar, and his cookie tin is feeling quite empty when I shake it, so cookies and granola will be on my list for tomorrow. So many things to do to keep the big guy happy!

He’s going to be very happy with his dessert tonight, I just know he is.

Bex-the-galley-gal

10 Responses to Sweets for the sweet (man of mine)

1. Reenie says:

I think you are over-the-moon amazing, Bex. You and Paul and your furry family are special in so many ways.

Everything seems right in the world when I know you’re in the kitchen. xoxo

P.S. I’m dashing around JS trying to catch up with everyone. 🙂

Just so you know, TT, those peppermint pieces do not melt into the ice cream but remain whole, but tiny, and when you bite down on them, they are soft on the teeth, not hard. Just right, in fact. I would heartily recommend using the soft peppermint sticks crushed up rather than those little round wrapped peppermint candies. Those can be hard on the teeth.

3. T.S. says:

Wish I could eat ice cream. The closest box of it that I know of is about three miles from here, at the grocery store, and that’s close enough. It’s pleasant to think that others are out there enjoying it!

With those peppermint sticks being soft I bet some of them melted into the ice cream. If so, YUM!

DH and I buy peppermint ice cream at Christmastime and then let it sit until summer, when the peppermints have melted into strands of peppermint flavor. So good!

Just for the record, we both had some peppermint stick ice cream last night and it was the best we have ever had. By far.

BTW, my next experiment in this field will be Pistachio Ice Cream. I’ve ordered the “pistachio essence” already so will keep you all in the loop.

6. Joan says:

Bex, that looks delish!!! You are truly a great cook!

7. Bonnie says:

Paul is so lucky he isn’t diabetic. Just sent my sugar up looking at that. 🙂

8. sandy freel says:

You are a good wifey to make him good yummy’s.

9. l'empress says:

I’m not making ice cream. (I gave away the ice cream maker because it was more work for a quart of ice cream than I was willing to do.) However…

I just received a gift of gadgets for making miniature ice cream sandwiches — round, stars, heart-shaped. I shall be trying it out as soon as my newly cleaned board is dry. 8)

You are so wonderfully supportive…and I’ve heard tell that the way to a man’s heart is via his stomach. But, all joking aside, I think it’s great the way you make him the stuff he likes. Peppermint ice cream sounds just heavenly!