Lobstah Chowdah, Ayup!

Lobstah Chowdah, anyone?

I found this recipe the other day in Yankee Magazine. It was in an article about a lobsterman who fishes out of Isle au Haut, Maine, and he makes this all the time for him and his wife. Lucky wife!

He also decided that since his wife did all the cooking for the first 25 years of their married life, he would take over and do ALL the cooking for the second 25 years! Oh my. He gets up and out to go lobstering by 3:45 every morning, and he does ALL the cooking at home. What a gem!

Anyway, his recipe was published, but I found the same recipe, attributed to him but with a couple of small changes, in the N. Y. Times. So here is my recipe, using unsalted butter instead of salted, and I have left out using corn. He puts in several tablespoons of corn kernels, but I left them out. This is a fairly easy recipe and is one I am going to make real soon.

LOBSTER CHOWDER

8 TBSP (1 stick) unsalted butter

1 MED. onion, chopped in 1/2-inch dice

3 LRG russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes

6 CUPS lobster broth OR cold water

1/2 TSP. sea salt

1/4 TSP. freshly ground black pepper

2 CUPS cooked lobster meat, cut in chunks

3 CANS evaporated milk

1 TSP. dried basil

1 CUP milk or cream, if necessary

1. In large kettle over low heat, melt 2 TBSP butter. Add onion, stir, and cook until soft, about 5 mins. Add potatoes & 6 cps broth or water and bring to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 30 mins, til potatoes begin to soften.

2. In a large skillet over med-high heat, melt 2 TBSP butter. Add about 1/3rd of the lobster & saute for about a minute or so. Set aside. Repeat w/remaining lobster & butter.

3. Add lobster to onion/potato mixture; stir over medium heat. Add canned milk & basil to taste, adjust seasoning w/additional salt & pepper. If too thick, add milk or cream.

Serves 12

So there you have it. If anyone is lucky enough to have a husband who comes home with a bucketful of lobsters now and then, this would be handy to have. I love chowder of any type really, clam being my all time favorite, but I think after I try this recipe, my favorite will have changed…

Cheers for the boys who bring home the lobsters,

Bex & Co.

This is a live lobster - with orange shell - not a cooked one. He was released back into the ocean after these photos were taken.

8 Responses to Lobstah Chowdah, Ayup!

Same thing with Paul’s grandparents, TT. They would go out their door (they lived at Fort Sewall in Marblehead) and go down to the beach just feet away and pick lobsters up after a tide had gone out. They were as plentiful as snails and they were at the lower end of the seafood scale back then… not a delicacy like they are today. I will do the recipe for the casserole in a little bit.

I’d love to have that lobster casserole recipe when you get the chance, Bex. Sounds delicious.

*grin* DH’s family is from Nova Scotia in Canada. His mom was from the island of Cape Breton. When his mom was a girl and up to a young adult, lobster was considered kind of a ‘trash fish’ that only the poor people ate. How times have changed!

TT, thanks for that recipe. I also make a “lobster casserole” that is similar to your pie using Ritz crackers on top. It’s a recipe passed down to me by Paul’s mother after many generations of being in a lobstering family and cooking lobster. I will put it in here sometime.

Stephanie… it’s been WAY too long! You’ve put in your website URL but one needs a password. I wish you were doing your old journal still, I really miss you! I, like many others, don’t get involved with Twitter or Facebook so once a person leaves the blog world for that world, they are gone to us…. but I do miss reading your wonderful journal pages and just wish you’d consider continuing one – maybe here at JournalScape? It’s easy and works well for us here…

4. Stephanie says:

That chowder looks really good and really simple. As for the man who relieved his wife of cooking duties – be still my heart!

I’m a fan of Yankee Magazine. Have been a long, long time. And I still look at it to get both the fall leaf forecast and for my favorite Lobster Pie recipe.

This is my modified version, for pre-cooked lobster meat:

Lobster Pie

Yield: 4 servings

10 tablespoons butter (1-1/4 sticks), divided
    1/2 cup good-quality sherry
    2 cups lobster meat, in bite-sized pieces
    2 tablespoons flour
    1-1/2 cups half-and-half
    4 egg yolks, beaten

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Melt 4 tablespoons of the butter, add sherry, and boil 1 minute. Add lobster and remove from heat. In a medium saucepan, melt remaining butter. Add flour and cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles. Remove from heat.

Drain and reserve the sherry from the lobster meat, then slowly stir sherry and cream into the mixture until thoroughly blended. Return to heat and cook, stirring constantly, until sauce is smooth and thick. Spoon 4 tablespoons of the sauce into a small bowl. Add beaten egg yolks, 1 tablespoon at a time, stirring well after each addition. (I’m not usually that cautious with the egg yolks.)

Return egg mixture to sauce and mix well. Stir over low heat about 3 minutes; do not allow to boil. Remove from heat and add lobster. Turn into four individual ramekins or a small, deep pie plate.

Combine topping ingredients, blend well, and sprinkle over pie(s). Bake about 10 minutes to heat through.

Topping
    1/2 cup Ritz cracker meal
    1/2 teaspoon paprika
    2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
    4 tablespoons melted butter

Never did I realize that moving from Maine to California would mean not having the easy access of Maine lobsters. Although I do like making chowders.

Here in California it is nearly impossible to get Maine lobsters (or any other kind, for that matter). I love California, but it is always a sorrow for me that I had to give up lobster.

And when it is available here, it’s much too expensive for ordinary people like me. I’ve had lobster at my local seafood place, but it was tough, overcooked, and salty. Such a disappointment! It should be sweet, tender, succulent. Memories….

8. sandy freel says:

Thanks for recipe…looks yummy as always