A Toxic Society

So I’m still watching the Zimmerman/Martin Murder Trial and I am getting so turned off by the litany of men (it seems it’s mostly men anyway) paraded on and off the witness stand who are “experts” in some kind of fighting techniques, although the gun expert from the police force was a woman, and she was quite impressive, too.

The male witness who is on the stand now, and hopefully he will be the last one, says he has been interested and involved in all kinds of physical fighting since he was 6 years old. Really? Where was your mother? or Father? Fighting was something you were encouraged to do?

Guns (which I abhor) and techniques to hurt other people have become the norm in this trial. It just seems that these days, with all the people practicing “physical fighting techniques,” the peace-loving pacifist on the street, should he or she come into contact with these pieces-of-work, don’t stand a chance.

Like Trayvon…. a kid who was in the wrong place at the wrong time and came into contact with the wrong guy.

The guy, Mr. George Zimmerman, was a “cop wannabee” and had a license to carry a guy around with him at all times, and apparently that is just what he did – he carried that gun everywhere. Even when he went out to the store – he said he was going to Target on that fateful day – when he spotted a kid walking along, minding his own business, in his neighborhood who wasn’t doing anything wrong but who was, shortly thereafter, shot point blank in the heart and murdered in cold blood by this gun-toting nutcase.

I am sick of it all. But I keep watching – not sure why. I feel like I’d rather know about things, even if I hate and despise them, than not know. At least in most things.

So the Zimmerman/Martin trial is coming to an end, hopefully, today. Then closing arguments and a verdict. I am predicting the jury will set George Zimmerman free in the end. That would not be my personal vote, but the way juries have been going lately, I predict they will fold and let him go – to carry his gun in his little holster, hidden under his jacket, to be used another day on some unsuspecting, innocent young man or woman or, even worse, a child who happens to find him or herself in the wrong place at the wrong time.

May God (or whoever or whatever is in charge) protect us from ourselves.

8 Responses to A Toxic Society

Well, TT – same here. They have included both of those charges as possibilities. Murder 2 and Manslaughter. Either one is OK by me since Florida has some strict and longer jail terms for committing these offenses with the use of a firearm. I don’t know the exact details, but for manslaughter he could get 20-30 years because he used a firearm.

More states should have these laws. Then maybe the gun nuts would think twice before carrying and using them.

I hope that Zimmerman will be convicted. My cousin is a cop and he and his friends are saying they think either manslaughter or second degree murder is appropriate.

3. Irene Bean says:

I don’t have cable and haven’t read about the trial online. I live in a mountain culture that is gun happy. It’s shocking how many people have permits for concealed weapons. The instructional classes are brief. Scary.

It turns out that the MaryJane that Trayvon may or may not have had in his system matters not because it’s not coming in as evidence. Neither are his old FB comments and/or texts… etc. I think both sides are done now… I hope they are anyway… and after closing arguments the jury will do their job. I hope there are six women there with more than a millimeter of brainpower.

I feel the trial is just a circus. In the end the bad guy is going to ride off into the sunset. Just because the kid had some THC in his system doesn’t mean he is a criminal. More than likely he wasn’t looking for a fight.

I am also afraid the jury will let the murderer walk free. Reading the news literally makes my stomach churn. We live in a sick, and profoundly immoral society. In what kind of civilized society is it supposedly necessary to allow everyone to walk around with concealed guns? For what? To protect oneself from everyone else who is carrying a concealed gun? And what is this national obsession with weapons which have no other purpose but to kill? What does that say? Nothing matters any more but violence and money. When I was younger I actually thought I saw signs that the country was improving what with civil rights laws and so forth. What a bitter disappointment has been.

7. sandy freel says:

I just cant handle this kind of stuff….with all the back and forth chat…glad you are here to report for us 🙂

8. Bonnie says:

I am just unable to watch it and I’m done listening to the lawyers explain why they had no case, no proof. I did hear some news that Travon had marijuana in his system, anything to paint him as the victimizer.

It is sickening and I live in a gun happy State who want to arm school teachers…like they will be in the right spot at the time needed.