Moving thru the summer…

One by one, the geezer aids are coming into CC. Here’s the latest geezer aid, for me, a new chair for the eating room.

100_0025

My old chair was wood (like Paul’s across the table) and it was extremely uncomfortable for me to sit in it to eat dinner each night. I tried using cushions but I have sciatica as well as other back and hip related things, and the hard chair wasn’t working for me. I’d rush thru my dinner and pack up my things and leave Paul sitting there to finish his supper alone. So I found this online and it came the other day. I put it together, not too difficult, and now I have a chair that I can sit in for long enough to eat supper leisurely and without quite so much pain. Also, the wheels are a big help when I want to turn and watch the TV when I’m done eating. This just wheels around with no problem.

100_0023

Getting old and infirm stinks.

But this is the only place I can sit for any length of time these days with as little pain as possible:

100_0002

Sorry that last photo is a little blurry. I have a new camera and that was one of the first photos I took and I hadn’t figured out how to use it yet. I didn’t have the flash up or something… but I’m learning.

And for TT, a frontal view of the blue hydrangea out near the street.

3 July 2013 garden0017

This is the best I’ve ever seen this plant.

Staying cool in this long and uncomfortable heat wave:

100_0017

Bex & Co.

14 Responses to Moving thru the summer…

1. Smartiplants says:

That’s a good idea about the chair. I have a hard time sitting at the table in our wood chairs at times too. Usually it’s not too bad but some days it’s pretty rough. I LOVE the hydrangea! Absolutely gorgeous!

Beautiful hydrangea, Bex! Can’t wait until mine starts blooming, it’s supposed to go from green to creamy white.

We have chairs like yours in our office. DH has actually gone right through the linoleum on cement that we have as a floor here.

Joan, I’m afraid I am thin on intelligence on “how” to grow anything. We just stick plants in the ground, give them a good drink and then forget them. They will either grow and thrive or they will wilt and die. I have to say that most things here grow and thrive and need to be trimmed back eventually.

But I know you are supposed to have something like “iron” in your soil for blue hydrangeas (I think). We don’t add anything at all to our soil. Ours it out by the street, and all winter that area gets salt thrown on top of it so maybe that is what keeps it blooming blue like that.

If you go online and search for “how to keep hydrangeas blue” I’m sure you will find the answer. It has something to do with the pH of the soil.

Of course it helps if you start by buying a blue hydrangea in the first place. Not a white one!

4. Joan says:

Bex, I’ve tried to grow blue hydrangeas for years and they always turn white!! 😦 any special tips?

5. Bonnie says:

My husband rolls all over the dinning room on his office chair. Small room, but his file cabinet is on the other side. I tease he will wear out the vinyl squares on the floor.

I’m often in the recliner when I’m not in my office chair.

Love the hydrangea

6. Irene Bean says:

Like TS, I have a chair like yours at my desk – have had it for years. Because I live alone, my dining room is often my desk. I’ve used a walker short term after hip replacements – your walker is the long term type and far easier to manage and more fashionable (if that’s at all possible). My other geezer aids are oxygen I lug around and a cane. My best geezer aid is the best attitude possible and it works wonders.

Here’s the chair on amazon if anyone is interested:

Chair on Wheels

Not a bad price either. And it only took me, alone, about 20 minutes to put the parts together which were few and easy.

That chair looks a lot more comfortable than a plain old wooden chair. Those wooden chairs are not very accommodating for anyone, even people without problems. Well, I suppose someone who spends a lot of time on a lobster boat might find a wooden chair relatively comfortable.

Wow, everyone loves the chair. So do I. I am very careful when I sit in it. Falling is not an option these days.

Here is another geezer aid that I bought after I fell down the stairs outside:

A walker. With wheels on the front. Love this thing. It’s a seat too which is where I can sit in front of the door while the dogs are out there doing their thing.

Sheila – you are funny. Hallux valgus – meaning my bunion? You will notice I have only one. I had two but had the left one fixed back in 1985 or thereabouts. Never did get the right one fixed. A cast up to my knee – couldn’t do it now with this house and husband and dogs, all of which I didn’t have back then. Six weeks off from work with my foot “up” too. Those were the days…

My husband is 100% handicapped and living in assisted living facility. I bought him a chair just like that and he loves it, too. The staff at the facility had conniptions, because the wheels roll so easily on the floor they were worried that some time he’d not sit down squarely on the seat and it would roll out from under him. And then he’d go ka-boom on his butt.

However, he has had no problems with it so far, even though his sense of balance is so poor that he is in danger of falling just walking across the room. Did I mention he loves it? Best thing since sliced bread, he says, and the heck with the staff opinion.

11. Sheila says:

OMG! Uve also got a hallux valgus.
    SP

12. T.S. says:

I have a chair like that in from of my computer.

Hope you make it through the heat spell okay.

13. John says:

Bex, I just woke from my codiene-enhanced afternoon nap and caught your latest “geezer aid”–inspired! I shall get Graham to find one of these for my birthday. John B:)

14. Love the phrase “geezer aid”!