These are a few of my favorite things…

And when I say “my favorite things” here, I’m talking food and teachers. Cooking teachers, that is. I totally love watching people cook. Here are a few of my all-time favorites – both dishes AND teachers, with some laughs thrown in for good measure:

Lucinda Scala-Quinn (“Mad Hungry”) making Pan Sauteed Sole:

Lucinda Scala-Quinn making Spaghetti Bolognese (I plan to make this recipe very soon):

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

This great lady is so dear to my heart. I recently read an autobiography of her life and she was one amazing lady. I also loved all her old shows as well as the newer ones. She is missed. Here’s Julia (Child, of course) teaching about cooking and eating LOBSTER. I cannot believe that 20-lb. lobster she’s got there… and it’s not banded which means it could have seriously injured her if it had wanted to!

And a wonderful biography video of Julia if you’ve got some free time:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I love Jacques Pepin, especially when he’s teamed up with Julia, they are priceless together. I love the line Julia utters: “It’s not really about nutrients – it’s about TASTE!”

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And here’s a cute one, Martha and Seth Meyers (remember I told you Seth is the son of my childhood best friend, Hilary!). These two are so cute together. Martha really is a panic sometimes:

More laughs from Martha Stewart Show Bloopers:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Another of my faves is Nigella Lawson. She’s going through a tough patch right now with an impending divorce, etc. You may have read all about it. But I’ve been watching her cook for many years now and have several of her books. She’s just so fabulous and not a skinny bony thing either! I really like that about her (although lately she has lost a lot of weight). Here she is in her London home:

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I couldn’t end without something about the Two Fat Ladies. Oh my. We were introduced to them by Sheila, in Yorkshire, England, one year when we visited her. Love them to pieces. Jennifer and Clarissa (Jennifer has since passed away). Two fabulous ladies:

+ + + + + +

I could go on and on. There are so many great cooking teachers out there, and they have all given me many, many hours of enjoyment and lots of good information over the years. These are but a few of my favorites.

Cheers for the Cooks!

11 Responses to These are a few of my favorite things…

1. Michael says:

Well, that’s definitely disturbing and not how Ina comes across on her show.

2. Anna says:

Hi Bex, sorry to put this here, but I can’t find your email address. Please can you not refer to my home city by name in the comments. I deliberately don’t do so as my blog is anonymous. Thanks

Michael, you mentioned that you love Ina Garten. I need to do a blog about her. And why she is NOT one of my faves – any more. One day soon…

On the other hand, rather than doing a blog about it, you can read it here for yourselves:

Entry in Angels for Enzo blog about their experience with Ina Garten.

Heartless is what that woman is. She does so much for her rich and wealthy “friends” in the Hamptons and laughs all the way to the bank (I am so sick of hearing her laugh out loud at everything she says), but she couldn’t bring herself to grant a last wish for Enzo? Pure selfishness and greed.

Since learning about this, I have never watched her show again. I refuse to listen to one more word out of that woman’s mouth. She and her snobby friends can just rot out in the Hamptons for all I care.

The offer to see him after it all blew up was not good enough… too little too late.

4. Michael says:

My current fave is Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa. There’s something so warm about her, even when she’s cooking things I don’t eat. I have done several of her recipes, and they’re pretty easy because she explains them so well.

5. Betty Lou says:

I am definitely NOT a cook, but I enjoyed all of the videos – especially Julia Child’s bio. Thanks, Bex.

6. T.S. says:

One of my favorites, Dr. Fuhrman’s anti-cancer soup:

7. Bonnie says:

Enjoyed bio on Julia. A lot of that was in the movie Julie/Julia. Which of course was a surprise.

Had a bit of a problem understanding the last two ladies though. Not the accent I am used too. 🙂

8. sandy freel says:

GREAT BLOG..Thanks for all the things to watch

Our PBS station shows The Martha Stewart Cooking School show now and I’m loving it. I’ve always loved her. She’s got spunk. I realize up close and personal she may be hard to work for or live with, but from a distance, she is one interesting lady. And after that jail time she had to do, well, could it get any more novel-esque than that?

Love the Martha Stewart bloopers! *wipes tear from eye from laughing* I use to love her show. Unfortunately, I don’t think they’re on here anymore.

11. Irene Bean says:

I LOVE the cooking shows – well, just about everything on HGTV, but because I don’t have cable, my viewing is limited. I just discovered Nigella on The Taste, which I enjoyed a lot. The Martha outtakes are hysterical! Thanks for putting all of this together!