Naturalizing (and a bit about a late Friend, Jim Lawrence)

Who needs store-bought plants? Heck, all we had to do was exactly nothing to get these lovely looking plants growing on the rear deck this year:

100_0139

I couldn’t tell you what they are, but whatever they are, Mother Nature saw fit to make us a gift of them.

100_0135

We just left the two containers out on the deck with only dirt in them, and half-way through the summer, this is what grew in them. Funny, how two completely different plants grew like this. I just pretend they are some rare plant species that I found in some upscale gardening center, and we are enjoying them all summer long. And the price was right up our street…

100_0141

Off in the distance, it’s all fog today. Wonder how Paul is faring out at sea in this fog?

100_0136

On a clearer day, back garden thru raindrops:

100_0089

Cheers for gifts from above,

Bex & Friends

ADDENDUM:

I just heard that an on-line friend and fellow blogger, Jim Lawrence, has passed away – only yesterday. I am still in shock as I sit here having just posted my own blog a few minutes ago.

Jim?

He was preparing to do a triathlon… he was always doing some athletic event with his family and friends. I always admired his intelligence and his willingness to go the extra mile in all things in his life. He was way too young (? 70) to die. Way too young. Jim you will be so missed.

Jim and his daughter Jill taken just two days ago…

Here’s more about Jim.

Goodbye, old friend. Keep the home fires burning for the rest of us…

Bex & Paul of Crow Cottage

10 Responses to Naturalizing (and a bit about a late Friend, Jim Lawrence)

Aw! Love the picture up top of you and, I believe, a young Kip!

2. Daisy says:

I’m very sorry to hear of the passing of your friend. It’s surprising how well we get to know those we have met on the blogs we read, isn’t it.

Nature has a way of making planting and growing things look so easy! Your backyard view is lovely.

Nice pics of your yard and deck. I’d love to be sitting there, so calming and green.

I’m so sorry to hear about the death of your friend. It sounds like he touched a lot of people’s lives in a very good way.

Sandy, what a truly good person you are. Thank you. I plan to give something too. Every little bit helps. Been thinking of Jim and family all night and day…still hard to believe. Life is so fragile.

5. Sandy Freel says:

Where I shop for antiques they are having a huge fund raising for Juvenile Diabetes…I will give in his name even by not knowing him ….sad day it was with has passing

Thank you Bonnie. What a sad day for us all. Jim will be missed. And thanks for letting us know about a charity he cares about.

7. Bonnie says:

I talked to Nancy a few minutes last night. I started to cry unfortunately and did learn I can donate to a cause he believed strongly in… Juvenile Diabetes.

My friend at our pool this morning said the water part of triathlons is usually where most deaths occur.

Rest in peace Jim.

Love the outdoor photos Bex.

I know, Eric! Same here. He’s like the SuperMan of the blogging world. How can this be true? If anyone has any more concrete info, let us know please. I think I’ll probably send a card to the family. I feel like we knew them all! Even the cat….

Unfortunately, it’s true. (Thanks Eric). Here’s all we know so far Providence Journal.

Jim Lawrence has died?!! I’m horrified. I’m in shock. I am endlessly inspired by his exploits.