Some Street Work Getting Done

We are expecting rain here. So I wanted to do a blog entry before the lightning comes and knocks out my internet connection.

I am still in a writer’s block mind-set so haven’t got much to say. Am enjoying the U.S.Open tennis this week and especially have enjoyed the women’s side of it. At this point, three of the four women in the semifinals are over 30 years of age. Amazing women. I am, though, rooting for the one who is only 24, Victoria Azarenka. I love that woman’s spirit most of all. She is a non-conformist, which I’ve always loved. The rest seem cookie-cutter. So – go Vica!

We are having our road torn up by a contractor for the City. This neighborhood is not hooked up to the City sewer and we all have septic systems. The house across the street wanted to hook into the City sewer in order to do a real estate transaction so they have been trying to have the work done for several years. A year ago they brought all the equipment here with giant cement pipes, and plopped them down in their front garden and just left because of a dispute… now they are finally doing the work. Once it’s done and the City sewer line is routed into our street out front, we would be able to hook into it if we chose to do so. But we don’t choose to do it because it would mean digging up our back yard and all the way down our driveway and out into the street. No thanks.

Below, you can see the big round pipe pieces they left in the neighbors’ yard over the past year…

the kids

Nothing else going on of much note. My little lavender plants on the windowsill in the kitchen are growing slowly. I should photograph them soon for you. But not now. I am resting up from the ginormous job I just finished doing, going around and closing all my windows because rain is coming.

Ta ra and cheers til next time,

10 Responses to Some Street Work Getting Done

Daisy, well, it’s not that simple. Yes we can stay with our septic system – there was no access to city sewer for a very long time in this neighborhood, but they ran a line up an adjoining street a few years ago but not up our street. With this new work, the pipes will be installed into the street out in front of our house. If we want we can hook into it. If we don’t want to we don’t HAVE to, BUT, and this is a big “but”, if we ever decided to sell our house, we could not sell it unless we hooked into that sewer line.

This is what the neighbors are currently doing. Their parents left the house to 3 siblings so they want to buy it from the other 2, and in order to make the transfer of ownership, they needed to hook into the city sewer, so they have had to pay to have all this work done. Big bucks, too.

We do not plan to sell any time in this lifetime!

2. Daisy says:

I’m surprised they give you a choice about whether or not to hook up to the sewer. I thought most places require it if you are within the area. Good for you that you stood your ground.

Reader – at least we don’t have to pay a sewer fee to the City. That is one reason we never want to hook into it. It’s much cheaper to maintain our septic system than to dish out $$’s to the city every year for the privilege of using their pipes.

4. reader says:

When the sewer went through where I lived, hookup was initially optional. Then it switched to optional if your house was situated a certain distance from the road. Everyone had to pay a sewer fee regardless of whether they used it.

Sewer working is going on all over. One day you can go down and the next day they have going a different route. Oh boy.

6. Irene Bean says:

My eyes finally found the pipes you mentioned… I was distracted by the beautiful dogs. 🙂

I’m with you – tearing up and trenching is waaaay too intrusive and unnecessary if you’re content with your current arrangement.

7. ~ Sil in Corea says:

Good luck on surviving the blitz, both natural and man-made! I definitely enjoy the dogs’ pic. They overshadow the giant pipes!

8. ~ Sil in Corea says:

Sounds like you’re going to be living in a noisy neighborhood for a while. 😦

10. T.S. says:

I don’t blame you for not wanting your yard torn for pipes. Seems like all I’ve been doing for two years is watching construction around my house.

Stay dry!