Comings and Goings here on the Hill

Back to “normal” – whatever normal is.

A rain day here today. Thunder and lightning kept me awake almost all night. I need a nap. But first, Paul was all out of cookies – I had made some really tasty butter walnut cookies for him but I made them very large, like saucers, not really on purpose but I had never made this recipe before and they spread when they cooked, like this:

butter walnut cookies

So he ate the last of those last night. Today I made the old standby, molasses spice cookies and they’ve only just come out of the oven so I haven’t photographed them yet but here are the ingredients and recipe:

making molasses spice cookies

I keep that recipe framed and hanging on the wall in the kitchen along with another recipe for granola cookies. Those are Paul’s two favorites.

Now I’ve photographed the finished cookies:

molasses spice cookies

I got 33 cookies out of this recipe… next time I’ll make them smaller and get more cookies:

molasses spice cookies

My inspectors had to come out to “inspect” (but not touch!).

molasses spice cookies and puppers

molasses spice cookies

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Moving on…

As far as the street/sewer work is concerned, this has been one loud week here. Lots of machinery type noises…

road work machines 13 Sept 2013 - a week and 2 days into the job

If you can zoom in on this photo above (on my laptop, all I do is press CTRL plus the + key and each time it zooms in larger) you will see there is a human being underneath that Samsung machine. He’s been in and out of there all morning – he must be fixing something. I’ll be glad when this project is completed and they are gone.

work crew & machinery 9 days into the job

Our street is narrow to begin with, and with all this machinery working in it, delivery trucks, mailmen, and the like are having a heckuva time doing their jobs.

I’m thinking that they will be digging up the street in front of our house by next week sometime. So far they have been at this job for 9 days, but not all those days have been working days… maybe about 5 of them.

I want my quiet neighborhood back!

Ta ra. Keep calm… and carry on,

It’s in every one of us to be wise;

Find your heart, open up both your eyes.

We can all know every thing without ever knowing why.

It’s in every one of us, by and bye.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

9 Responses to Comings and Goings here on the Hill

1. Smartiplants says:

Those cookies look wonderful! A rainy day is a perfect day to bake! I hope the quietness has been restored to your neighborhood by now!

Your walnut cookies look delicious! Mmmmm….

I can so relate to the roadwork being done around our street as they prepare the street for the sewer.

The cookies look pretty good if you ask me.

Reens, Paul also is not a chocolate person. I sneak in some chocolate chips in some cookies now and then (granola oat cookies) and he doesn’t mind but he basically doesn’t require chocolate – like some of us do!

5. Irene Bean says:

I’m not much of a chocolate person so the molasses cookies look divine! You are such a faithful baker.

6. Daisy says:

Your cookies look delicious!

I wouldn’t like all that construction noise and mess either. I hope they get finished soon for your sake. Have a good weekend!

7. Bonnie says:

Well don’t offer the workers any cookies or they won’t get done.

I think I have molasses in the cupboard. It would be nice to have some cookies, but as a diabetic I imagine they have too much sugar.

Wonder what I can do with the molasses? It’s probably still good.

Well, Eric, you have to MAKE the cookies… I just gave two of the molasses ones away to my neighbor before Paul has even had one.

9. Ericmayer says:

I sympathize with your construction woes, after four days of having our sun porch repaired. Today it was the furnace repairman who diagnosed the problem but didn’t have the part so Monday we will do it all over again. I’ll be happy when things are back to normal too! (Plus we don’t have such good cookies….)