Ring of Bright Water

It’s funny how things happen, out of the blue, to take you away from it all, off to another time, another land, to a place where your soul feels free and yearns to be…

I was feeling a bit scattered this morning, with nothing urgent to accomplish here, no one wanting anything from me, just a beautiful Saturday morning in New England. But I was looking for something, I knew not what… until I stumbled onto a movie channel I have on my telly and at just that exact moment, a movie was beginning that I was helpless to ignore…

“Ring of Bright Water”

I have this movie here, and I have watched it many, many times. It’s one of those films that, when you see it’s on, you can’t help but stop and watch. There are a few of those films for me, another one being “Local Hero,” also set in Scotland.

I have a thing for Scotland. Oh yes, I have more of a thing for Yorkshire, England, but Scotland was always a dream of mine, even when I was very young. I felt I was from there somehow. Turns out I wasn’t – I was “from” Yorkshire, England, in fact, but Paul’s family is from Scotland – the Craigie family.

So “Ring of Bright Water” came on and I stopped what I was doing and sat mesmerized, even though I knew every step of the movie by heart, and it has just ended. If you’ve seen this movie, you’ll know that there is a lot of happiness in it, a lot of beauty, a lot of smiling going on. Man buys remote falling-down cottage by the sea in a remote Scottish village, brings his otter, Midge, there with him from London and proceeds to live a life there than can only be described as idyllic. To me anyway.

So to anyone out there who has not seen this movie, take a listen to the beautiful theme music of “Ring of Bright Water” with a few short clips of the movie in this first video:

And, if you’ve a mind to jump in deeper, here are the 8 parts of the movie on video. Enjoy, either way.

Part 1/8:

Part 2/8:

Part 3/8:

Part 4/8:

Part 5/8:

Part 6/8:

Part 7/8:

Part 8/8:

Bex & Co.

It’s in every one of us to be wise;

Find your heart, open up both your eyes.

We can all know every thing without ever knowing why.

It’s in every one of us, by and bye.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

13 Responses to Ring of Bright Water

We bought and watched Last Tango in Halifax a while ago and loved it. Nicola Walker is one of my all-time fave actors. Foyle’s War has just finished here, Sunday was Epis. 3 of 3. Not long enough, IMO. Love anything Michael Kitchen is in. I’d watch him read the phone book! There is so much more available at amazon UK of the British shows, movies and TV series. Thousands and thousands of them. But most people don’t want to spend the money… we don’t have kids so we do. Having been to the UK 8 times and will never return (only because of health reasons) we love all the films they make available. Will have to check out “Heartland”.

2. karen says:

I too love most of the British movies and television shows. Masterpiece on PBS has many on and also I get a station out of Windsor, Canada and many good shows from there. Right now they are showing “Last Tango in Halifax,” and it is set in England.
    I love the Canadian series based on the books called “Heartland.”
    I can never switch providers cause cable is the only one to offer CBC in its’ lineup.
    PBS HAS CURRENTLY BEEN SHOWING NEW EPISODES OF “FOYLE’S WAR,” WHICH HAS such great acting but really boring storyline of cold war spies after WW2.

3. T.S. says:

I think I saw this, but am going to give it a second look. Yes, Local Hero was so good!

4. nina says:

I’vw loved Local Hero ever since my ex and I spent our youthful months in Scotland decades ago! I’m so putting in a recall to my library for this one! Thank you!

5. Irene Fulton says:

Fabulous music! I’ll catch up with the movie another time. (Eric, I just read a book that had a lot about trench warfare during WWI – such a sad slaughter.)

6. Sandy From Iowa says:

WOW…great movie..THANKS for putting it here for all of us to view and have a cry or two.

7. karen says:

Local Hero is a great movie too! Watch it every time it’s on. I usually don’t buy movies but some you just have to.

8. Bonnie says:

I didn’t think I’d sit and watch it, but I did and I thank you. I’ve seen land I never will. Now to find the book. 🙂

I also have it in VHS, Karen! But I broke down and got it in DVD a while ago because I was watching it at least once a year if not more often. Same with Local Hero… another favorite of mine.

10. Karen DiCicco says:

I have this movie in vhs. It is a lovely movie I read about long ago and back then you had to order the movie. It’s been loaned to many friends & family.

11. Sandy From Iowa says:

WOW…You posted all of it so I wont have to hunt it up..”YIPPY”

Right now I am reading a first hand account of trench warfare during WWI, so kind of the opposite of your experience!