Doing the DewClaw Shuffle

Just an average evening of TV viewing at CC:

nightly viewing audience

Well, not TV specifically but our British shows that we watch after supper each evening on DVD. Tonight, however, we had a slight hiccup to our schedule.

Here’s how it works around here, with very little, if any, variation to our routine. I cook supper, Paul does clean-up. We let the dogs out for a P&P and back in. All four of us settle in to the living room, and I rack up a DVD on the telly. We watch usually one show in summertime and then switch to the baseball game, or, in the fall and winter, we watch two of our British shows. We are in bed by 9 p.m. every night, a lot of times 8:30 for me.

And this is our evening…normally.

Tonight, however, after the part where I let the dogs out and in after supper, during Paul’s clean-up, last night there was one small glitch – I looked over at Kip and he was licking his left front paw – a lot. He doesn’t normally do that, so I went over to inspect it and there was blood on his white fur there – just where the dewclaw is – that useless claw that is more like a thumb on a dog. I wish Mother Nature would do away with that thing because it is nothing but trouble for dogs.

He must have hooked his toenail on a step coming into the house (he was, of course, running at top speed) and he split the thick toenail right down at the quick so it was almost off but not quite. I freaked.

I got Paul to inspect it, and I freaked. I am no good in these situations.

I called our neighbor, Peggy, to ask about it as she worked at the Animal Shelter for a long time and knows a lot about animals, and she dropped what she was doing and came over to look (thank YOU Peggy!). She suggested we have it snipped off by a vet and gave us the number of the one here in Salem that is open in the evenings. Our own vet is never open when you need them!

Paul called them and they said bring him up, so he bundled the big furry patient into his truck and off they went into the night.

Peggy was an angel for me. She got me to calm down a lot, and without her I would have been even more of a wreck.

Emmalee cried the whole time they were gone, which was about 90 minutes.

Finally they returned, Kip’s dewclaw area in a bandage. They had snipped it off right down to the nub (shudder) and wrapped it up. He has some pain pills to take at bedtime and in the morning too. Poor little fella! My boy! I hate it when he’s hurting.

Paul was mortified. Kip does not act very “collie-like” when he goes to the vet’s office… he yeowled and whimpered the whole time they were there! Paul was not pleased, but Kip got lots of loves and hugs once he got home from his Mummie, got to lick Paul’s ice cream dish after he’d finished, and got a cookie bone as usual before bed.

sharing the sofa for tv viewing

By morning, he’d gotten the bandage off, and he was on my bed licking the stub of his dewclaw. Now I have to figure a way to convince him not to lick-lick-lick the darn thing.

All this for a broken toenail! The fun just never stops in this house…

Again, a big thanks to Peggy for her support and advice.

We are having a quiet morning here. When I came downstairs, I discovered that Paul had forgotten it’s trash day here, and there is no trash put out and no recyclables put out either. This job is not in my job description – not because I don’t want to help out but because it’s way too much pain for me to lug the trash out and down the driveway to the curb… oh well. Today is Tuesday, not Wednesday… well duh! I thought it was Wednesday all morning. Just goes to show… I am so far gone anymore… So Paul did NOT forget… but you can be sure the last thing I will say to him tonight, before we put our heads down on our pillows, will be “Remember… tomorrow is Wednesday!”

Cheers for neighborly angels, for vets who work nights, and for the last vestiges of my memory functions.

Bex & Co.

It’s in every one of us to be wise;

Find your heart, open up both your eyes.

We can all know every thing without ever knowing why.

It’s in every one of us, by and bye.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

15 Responses to Doing the DewClaw Shuffle

1. Sandy Freel says:

poor kip…glad he is on the mend and doing a wee better.

Poor Kippie! I hope he’s feeling a bit better today. Honestly, it’s better to take those dew claws off. Which reminds me, Indy has dew claws too and they need to be clipped…

3. Karen DiCicco says:

Socks help or baby booties. Also Power Paws Greyhound style
    are good to keep feet and hock covered.

4. Irene Fulton says:

Ouchy Ouchy Ouchy!

5. T.S. says:

Bummer about the dewclaw shuffle. Hope Kip is all better.

Oh my the things we go through with our fur babies. I’m glad all worked out ok and Kip healed well.

7. Daisy says:

Oh dear. I would have freaked too once I saw the blood. I hope it heals quickly. I hate it when my pets are hurting too.

Alert… anyone who reads this who had already read my blog, please note I have amended the last paragraph to reflect what I have only just now, at 1:35 p.m., learned (remembered) – that today is not Wednesday but Tuesday – not our trash day at all… Wednesday (tomorrow) is.

Thanks Betty Lou… and give my love to Michael when you talk to him!

10. Betty Lou says:

So sorry, Bex, but it sounds like you are doing whatever needs to be done for healing. Sending healing thoughts to your house from mine.

OK, thanks Karen. I’ve just wrapped it with some gauze and tape and he is still on the sofa resting.

Pets can be like kids, needing to be rushed off to the doc at inconvenient times. Hope it doesn’t take long to heal. Our cats were always tearing their claws (when not tearing things with them).

13. karen says:

Most breeders remove the dewclaws now days.

The air is not helping it heal. Injuries, cuts etc. heal better with a bandage on.
    He probably needs a collar(big cone)on. If you have an old one get that on and if he still licks at it and you can’t get a cone for him, then you should call the vets to get one. The soft flat ones they sell in pet supplies don’t do any good.
    Poor Kip, he must have been scared and hurting. Tell his Dad to put himself in poor Kippy’s place.

So far, Wendy, he’s been napping on the sofa and hasn’t been “at it” yet. I want it to heal up and the air on it is better so I’m taking advantage of him taking the pain pills (that say on the bottle “may cause drowsiness”) to keep him still for the morning at least. Now if I can just keep all people and their dogs from walking by in the street and stirring things up in here, I’ll be happy!

15. WendyNC says:

Bex, I’m so sorry to read about Kip’s declaw injury. Been there, done that, with some of ours and it’s never fun.

I’m not a vet professional of any kind, but here’s what I’d do:

Wrap the leg well with gauze above and below the declaw, going up over Kip’s “elbow.” Use adhesive tape-or duct tape, if that’s all you have-to secure the bandage in several places.

To get Kip to leave it alone, try a mixture of anything bitter you have in your kitchen mixed with some rubbing alcohol and sprayed on the bandage.

Good luck!